Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has developed a funny clunking sound underneath and towards the rear. It seems to be excessive drive line lash, like a worn out u-joint or problem with the differential. I tested my theory by leaving the car in 1st with the parking brake off and then hand rocking the rear wheel back and forth. It definately produces a very audible clunking sound.

Just wondering if anyone else with more time and mileage has encountered this and what the out come was. I'm just not in the mood to go to the dealer right now, but I guess I will just incase something has come loose and is about to leave me stranded some where. I wanted to go first, so I guess this is part of the experience. :rolleyes: :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
AD, PM sent!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
AeroDave said:
My car has developed a funny clunking sound underneath and towards the rear. It seems to be excessive drive line lash, like a worn out u-joint or problem with the differential. I tested my theory by leaving the car in 1st with the parking brake off and then hand rocking the rear wheel back and forth. It definately produces a very audible clunking sound.

Just wondering if anyone else with more time and mileage has encountered this and what the out come was. I'm just not in the mood to go to the dealer right now, but I guess I will just incase something has come loose and is about to leave me stranded some where. I wanted to go first, so I guess this is part of the experience. :rolleyes: :lol:
It would be interesting to see if there is slop in the drift shaft with the car sitting in gear. That might help tell us if is its in the u-joints or rear diff.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mceb said:
Yup, see this thread. Includes a TSB somewhere in the thread that GM says it's not a problem.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4745
Sorry for the redundantcy, feel free to merge the thread. I read the posts over there and have decided not to take the car in just yet. However, if it is a known design flaw they will no doubt fix it eventually. The "it's normal, so turn the radio up" response isn't going to cut it with many future buyers. Their service managers are going to be plagued with complaints repeatedly.

You don't have to go "looking" for the sound, it's pretty damn obvious. I'll put it this way, if I were evaluating this car as a used car for a friend, I would advise them that the u-joints probably need replacing soon. There is a lot of slop in the drive line, either in the rear u-joint, differential or CV joint, but it's definately at the rear.

Unfortunately, my last experience with GM went kind of the same way. My wife bought a brand new '93 Saturn SW2, and it had a oil consumption issue. It burned oil so bad that we had to periodically clean the throttle body out with carb cleaner because the soot build up would cause the butterfly valve to stick. I think it was about 1.5 quarts every 3000 miles. the engine only had about 24k on it and was still under warrantee.

It was only peculiar to the twin cam motor, but they knew there was an issue with the valve guides, so their initial fix was to send out a service bulletin stating that this kind of oil consumption was "within spec". My wife was a member of a Saturn forum and she was not the only one with the problem and they didn't buy the "within Spec" solution. We eventually got Saturn to give us a brand new motor, and later they changed the head design to fix the problem. The point of comparison here is that they knew there was a deficeintcy, and their first response was "It's OK, never mind that." until they got around to fixing it.

I'm far from gripping or bitching about it. It doesn't bother me that much unless something is about to go bad and leave me stranded somewhere. I'm just predicting that they will fix this problem someday, and when they do, I want to be included in the update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts