Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As those of you know that frequent the forums, you know that my clutch is slipping. It hasn't done it for over a week now. Couple of questions.

1) Is it possible it needed to adjust itself?

2) If I go with a spec stage 2 clutch, do I (should I) use a spec lightweight flywheel? If I don't, what are the possibilities of getting shudder, squeak, etc? If I do go with the spec lightweight flywheel, will it affect driveability? Will I have to slip the clutch more to get moving?

3) If I don't go with a spec clutch and go with OEM instead, is it okay to resurface the flywheel or does it have to be replaced? Can I go with a spec lightweight flywheel if I use an OEM clutch?

4) Are there any better clutch setups out there other then spec? I have over 310hp and from what I know of the car so far, over 330ft/lbs of torque....planning on a new turbo next spring....Which stage should I go with if I don't go bigger turbo? Do go next year with bigger turbo?

5) I need some help. I have a buddy that is a former tech...he has a hoist in his garage, but he's only done 1 clutch, on a FWD car.... Are we going to be okay or are we going to have issues replacing it?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Mine slipped when the fuel pump was leaking oil...

I installed new OEM clutch when I installed the LDK short block

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Fuel pump located on back of head.

Powered by intake cam. Cam cap leaking oil is a tsb for the LNF. Oil going down into bell housing dripping on clutch. Clutch slips.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah...the rear main seal....okay...now it's clear.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
No. Not rear main. Fuel pump

HPFP

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
If you have a GXP this is what you should get. I got my info from sky888

Spec clutch stage 3+
NON-SAC
SC403F-2

Spec FW
SC40A-2

This is from him
To be very honest, I really like the SPEC stage 3+. I think it's a solid product....as long as you know how to install it and you have a proper break-in.

Some people complain about vibrations, ......that its not smooth,.....hard to shift.... etc.

I truly believe that most of them either use a different stage (stage 2, or stage 4)......or re-used their old flywheel..........or have a poor installation.

The stage 3+ is their flagship.......and its very smooth. Very similar to the stock clutch. But can take tons of torque. This is the only stage that I recommend. The Spec FW should also be purchased together with the clutch kit.

Yeah, it has a lil bit of vibrations......I believe around 3500-4000 rpm only or somewhere around that range (i forgot the exact rpm range, I haven't driven my car for years...lol)
But its about 500 rpm range........if you are under or above that range......you don't hear that lil vibration at all.

It is not a "perfect" aftermarket clutch due to my above observations. But I don't think there will always be some imperfections with these aftermarket products anyways.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know the TSB# for this?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm surprised that a lot more haven't chimed in on this. From what I've read here, more then 1 of you has had their clutch replaced.....

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a posting somewhere of how to do the clutch? I have a buddy that was a tech and he's done several clutches but has never done a Solstice. He has a hoist in his garage so that will make it a lot easier....but he would like a video or pictured instructions so that we can follow them. Otherwise, I will post a user guide when we do it....

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting... I have a "pan" under the transmission that none of the instructions talk about removing.... It's nothing I've seen in any pics or any aftermarket braces... hmmm.... It literraly runs between the well and encloses all but about the front 8" of the transmission. I've read 3 different sets of instructions on removing the clutch, but nothing is stated about removing this brace/shield/pan.... Do I have a chassis brace or is this a normal part? I still have the driveshaft tunnel and this seems to overlap that in the front of that part....

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nevermind....I think I found it in the parts catalog... I found something similar in photos on Google.

·
Registered
193 Posts
do you need some help with the install? If so, just let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts