Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't seen anyone else mention this yet so I thought I'd post it. Since there are some simularities between the SS Cobalt, Saturn Red Line, and our Precious.

The official GM info can be found [HERE]. The official Chevy page where you can see this too is [HERE].

And here is the article in full. I really really really like the pre-order incentives they're giving too...

FOR RELEASE: 2004-08-01

Chevrolet Announces Cobalt Pricing, Unique Pre-Sell Ordering Program

DETROIT - Chevrolet has announced a unique way to introduce the Cobalt, Chevrolet's all-new premium small car that will arrive in dealer showrooms this fall.

From August 2 through October 18, Chevrolet will reward consumers who place early orders for Cobalt. Depending on the model ordered, select options will be included at no extra charge to the consumer.

Customers who pre-order the Cobalt coupe or sedan model will receive a spoiler valued at $275; those who pre-order the LS model will receive a sunroof valued at $725 and those who pre-order either the LT sedan or SS Supercharged coupe will receive a sunroof and XM Satellite Radio hardware valued at $1,050.

Cobalt will offer three coupe models and three sedan models. The MSRP for the Cobalt Coupe and Sedan will be $14,190. The MSRP for the Cobalt LS coupe and sedan will be $16,485. Pricing for the LT sedan will be $18,760. The Cobalt SS Supercharged will be priced at $21,995. Pricing includes destination and freight charges.

"We believe this exciting introductory offer will provide consumers an added incentive to get to know our all-new Chevy Cobalt before it hits the market," said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager.

Cobalt offers a long list of standard features including air conditioning, electric rear defogger, CD player, driver information center and split-bench rear seat with pass-through to trunk area. Standard features on the LS, LT and SS Supercharged models include anti-lock braking systems, power door locks with keyless entry, cruise control, and power windows and exterior mirrors. Other available features for all models include heated leather seats, power sunroof, XM Satellite Radio (continental U.S. only), MP3 playback and OnStar.

Cobalt production begins in the fourth quarter in Lordstown, Ohio. Vehicles will be in dealerships by the end of the year. Pre-sold orders will be scheduled through normal production.

More information about the pre-order program is available on www.chevy.com/cobalt.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Sure would be sweet if they offered a free LSD :thumbs for those that pre-order the Solstice (I'm talking about a car part, folks). Somehow, I don't see that happening, tho :skep

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
How 'bout a free hard top? Actually any incentives would be cool. Maybe just a cash rebate to offset dealer mark-up. I guess that would make them just mark it up more.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I'm hoping for invoice on pre-order. And if they don't give me invoive I'm going to push for some dealer installed options. However if they do offer pre-order goodies I'll be happy for MSRP, but I'll try for invoice anyway :D Pre-orders to dealers are instant gold. It's a sell they know that wont sit on their lot taking up room for other cars to sit in. Cars with dealer markup to sell to poor shleps who didn't know they could pre-order. It also pretty much insures that you'll be coming to them for service which makes them more moeny too.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2KWK4U said:
Sure would be sweet if they offered a free LSD :thumbs for those that pre-order the Solstice (I'm talking about a car part, folks). Somehow, I don't see that happening, tho :skep
A free LSD upgrade would be a very reasonable incentive. It's usually not that expensive of an option on most cars. Like the MR2 has it as an option for only $275.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Any free goodies at order time would be awesome! Hopefully they use this strategy to market Solstice too.

Not sure you will find many dealers to pre-order a Solstice for you at invoice Brentil. Usually ordered cars are gold, but the Solstice is going to be gold anyway. They will not be sitting around dealer lots long. I think the best hope is that the car is not sold at a premium over MSRP!

What GM should do is create a pre-order policy next spring that guarantees that you won't pay over MSRP for the car to prevent dealer gouging. Nissan did this with the 350Z, offering cars at MSRP if they were pre-ordered. I think Mazda may have used the same strategy with the RX-8.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
What GM should do is create a pre-order policy next spring that guarantees that you won't pay over MSRP for the car to prevent dealer gouging. Nissan did this with the 350Z, offering cars at MSRP if they were pre-ordered. I think Mazda may have used the same strategy with the RX-8.
:agree

But what is likely to happen is what happened with the Lotus Elise, which did try to have the same exact thing: MSRP for those who pre-ordered.

***Depression/Anger Alert***
Do not attempt to read the following thread if you are prone to high blood pressure, extreme anxiety, or have problems dealing with anger:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=877415

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The people on that thread have their facts a little wrong there. If you read the elisetalk.com forums they've talked about this for a while. Dealers can do pre-orders and they can order cars for themselves too. It's up to the dealer to decide when the pre-orders get ordered along with their dealer cars as well. So of course the dealers are going to want some cars of their own to sell well over MSRP to make lots of profit on. It is aggrivating though that some dealers are ordering mainly their own cars upfront instead of mainly the pre-order cars. But at least those people who did order still get it for $39,995 + options instead of MSRP + dealer rapage.

Personally I'm not expecting to get a Solstice for invoice, but I'm sure as hell going to try. If you're persistant enough you can get a lot of things from a car dealer. As long as their making a profit still of course.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Doubt they'll be any freebies on pre-orders but hey I'll dream too :lurk

We'll probably get free paper it's written on with every pre-order :smile

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Personally I'm not expecting to get a Solstice for invoice, but I'm sure as hell going to try. If you're persistant enough you can get a lot of things from a car dealer. As long as their making a profit still of course.
I agree it may be possible to get one at invoice somewhere, but it will be darn difficult. Especially the first few months it is out as demand is really high and supply really low. Few dealers will be willing to sell it at invoice when they have 10 more customers in the showroom willing to pay MSRP. It will get easier as demand dies down a little.

·
Registered
281 Posts
with my luck, the freebie on the solstice would be XM. :rolleyes

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
At intro. I figure the freebie will just be the cool air in the tires and the can of "Fix-a-Flat". Anything more would be an appreciated bonus.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bizz said:
with my luck, the freebie on the solstice would be XM. :rolleyes
Oh please no! I just cannot warm up to the idea of paying a monthly fee for radio.

A good alternative might be an XM capable 6 disc in dash CD player instead of a standard CD deck! :thumbs I could care less about the XM, but it would allow people who wanted it to subscribe without needing to upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts