Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend has a really nice and polished valve cover for the ecotec 2.0 turbo for his cobalt SS TC. I bought it off of him because I figured I could swap it out with my solstice 2.0 GXP valve cover. It's the same thing right? I changed it out and now my car idles a bit rough, engine reduced power display, and Check Engine Light!!!!!!! I removed the battery, and while I let it reset, I went ahead and removed the valve cover to check underneath, making sure nothing got under it like a rag or something. I plugged everything back in, connected battery, and tried again. This time it didn't idle rough anymore, but the CEL came on quickly and reduced engine power. I drove it around to see if it would possible go away but it hasn't. Anything I'm missing?? I just don't see why this would happen just because of a valve cover. There's gotta be something else.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Make sure the valve cover gasket is on there good, check to make sure the bolts are torqued to spec, and did you clean the bottom of the valve cover before putting it on? I've never done this (a valve cover swap, ive taken them off and put it back on with the same cover) but those are common problems people face when taking off the valve cover

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the bottom of the valve cover was wiped clean. I don't really know the specs or have a torque wrench, just tightened em up pretty good with a ratchet. HMMMMM now, I did notice that when I first put it on, and it ran like crap, I removed the valve cover again. Seemed as though the gasket might have been pinched a bit, I fixed it and ran it again. If it's pinched or not on right, it will cause reduced engine power and CEL?? hmmm interesting. I might have to remove it again and CAREFULLY put it back on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected the battery for maybe 10 mins, should I try disconnecting it longer?? Some have told me disconnecting the battery and ecu at the same time will reset it all better than just the battery.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am registered to be at a car show tomorrow, so anyone with advice, plz let me know as time is short LOL thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would double check all connections with wires. Maybe one is loose. Without knowing the code its shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
only connections that had to be removed was the coils, and two sensors in front of the cover. That's it. They are all connected and not loose. This is frustrating...to think all i was doing was replacing a valve cover with another.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about the steel braided hose that goes from the valve cover to the turbo?
Yea, I removed that too, and the one to the intake as well. I was referring to the electrical connections. Are you saying I should check that braided hose?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I left the battery connected again just now, this time for 30 mins, and turned it on. Same thing, idles a bit different, not rough, just different. Reduced Engine Power comes on and CEL right after :( Immediately. Ugh, I'm gonna swap valve covers in the morning and see if it improves. I'm hoping it does.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, just wanted to let you know that both valve covers are the same. Now, from what I read you removed the 2 knock sensors, coil plugs, maf and pcv?

Pcv valve is in the front of the manifold.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I removed the 4 coil connections, the braided hose going from cover to intake pipe, braided hose going from cover to turbo, and the knock sensor connections (not the actual sensors, just the connectors)...........that's it. All of these are connectly correctly as I've checked all of these 4-6 times already. Frustrated :(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw the video.....very informative. I will try it, but i'm more than sure the purge valve will only set off the CEL, not make it run on "reduced engine power". I've had one go bad on my pontiac g6, i believe it wastes a bit more fuel, and CEL comes on, that's about it. Doesn't affect anything negatively

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OKAY UPDATE:::::

So my buddy came over with the trifecta software, which allows us to find out the codes with the red cable. These are the codes and descriptions.

::p0087::
History SES Current stored. Fuel Rail/System pressure too low.

::pO5OA::
Dev. 05E8 History Current. Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance..........

I don't speak troubleshooter,.....any clues? Like I said, all I did was swap out the valve cover, then all of a sudden, I try and start the car, it sputters and misfires and throws the CEL and "reduced engine power" display. ANY THOUGHTS??? ANY help will be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did some searching on here, found that PO5OA has been found to be throttle body related?? ALL THIS AFTER SWAPPING OUT THE VALVE COVER??? This is ridiculous. It worked fine before the valve cover swap. How on earth are these two codes working together to ruin my day :( Any suggestions on where I should start??????

1 - 20 of 71 Posts