Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know exactly what to do, I just have a couple of questions before I actually start.

1. How do I access the spark plugs?
2. What is the cylinder order? (The only post I could locate about firing order was 13 years old, and while it had the order, it didn't bother to mention which cylinder was which.)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, got the cover off, changed the plug, swapped the coils, still got the code. And the nasty idle. What are my next steps? There's no carbon buildup anywhere that I can see.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Could be a multitude of things. If it's not the ignition try swapping injectors nd see if the code follows. After that I would check crank and camshaft sensors. After that a leak down and compression test would be in order. This is of course that you verified all electrical and vacuum connections are in good working order.

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
Okay, got the cover off, changed the plug, swapped the coils, still got the code. And the nasty idle. What are my next steps? There's no carbon buildup anywhere that I can see.
When you say "swapped the coils" do you mean that you moved them from one cylinder to another? Is it still the same code?

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
Exchanged the coils on 3 and 4. Same code.
Then my next step would be what @07 Boss suggested: switch injectors.

If you are only getting the P0304 it is almost always cylinder-specific to cylinder 4.

Now that I have thought about this, there was one group of cars that used the firing order for codes, and not the cylinder number. I will look for the TSB, but it is possible that your problem is not where we think it is, so switching the coils between 1 and 2 might be a logical step first.

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
I have not found the TSB, but did find a reference to it. According to that reference, the LNF uses firing order and not cylinder order for the cylinder-specific codes.

That said, I believe that the firing order is 1-3-4-2, so switching components between cylinders 3 and 4 should still move the fault.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Haha, I never knew the code was based on firing order and not cylinder designation. I would have been trouble shooting the wrong cylinder.

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
Haha, I never knew the code was based on firing order and not cylinder designation. I would have been trouble shooting the wrong cylinder.
It varies by manufacturer, and even engine. From what I have read, the LE5 uses cylinder number, while the LNF uses firing order.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just grateful to the forum for giving me the idea. I'm an old school kind of guy who remembers the cylinder numbers on the N* were engraved in the valve covers and that was that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts