Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last October (2012) the dealer (under warranty) replaced my catalytic converter because it was "clogged". Just recently, the check engine light comes on and Autozone told me the code showing was P0420. The car runs fine, but the light coming on really bothers me. (I can get it to go off by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.) Can anyone give some guidance as to how I should handle this issue? I have had no other exhaust and or engine issues with the car since I bought it. Everything is stock.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
0420 code means converter efficiency has degraded. From the SM-
"Inspect for the following conditions, which may cause a catalytic converter to degrade:
• An engine misfire
• High engine oil or high coolant consumption
• Retarded spark timing
• A weak or poor spark
• A lean fuel mixture
• A rich fuel mixture
• A damaged oxygen sensor or wiring harness
• The catalyst test may abort if the vehicle falls outside the conditions for running the DTC.
• A catalyst may be temporarily degraded if a fuel with high sulfur content has been used. Drive the vehicle at highway speeds for 10 minutes and retest the converter."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your car is still covered under the federally mandated emissions warranty. Take it into the dealer and let them resolve. It will not cost you a penny. Seeing how that you just had the CAT replaced, it is likely not the culprit. My educated guess would be that it is either your upstream or downstream O2 sensor that needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
16,533 Posts
My experience is that you can get this code when there is an actual issue, or when the voltage between the front and rear O2 sensors falls outside the "acceptible" range. This can happen for a number of reasons, most likely associated with one of the O2 sensors or their wiring having a problem.

The advice to take it back to the dealer for diagnosis and repair is good. :thumbs:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got the same code on my 07 n/a. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the cat under warranty. The service manager told me it could be the cat or one or both of the sensors. Mine turned out to be the cat. Should be covered under warranty up to 120,000 miles is my understanding...

·
Super Moderator
16,533 Posts
I just got the same code on my 07 n/a. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the cat under warranty. The service manager told me it could be the cat or one or both of the sensors. Mine turned out to be the cat. Should be covered under warranty up to 120,000 miles is my understanding...
Well said.

:agree::agree:

·
Super Moderator
16,533 Posts
But just to be accuate, the Federal Emissions Warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles.
Yes, but for the 2006 due to design and or build defects, the cat has an extended warranty. It was announced when they began experiencing failures early and often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts