Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I have been following the forum for a while and I think this is the place to be if your driving a Kappa!

My 1st issue: When I start the car after its been fully warmed up after sitting for 20 or more minutes the rpms drop and the car tries to die immediately after it starts. After which it corrects itself and runs fine.

My 2nd issue: I can hear the injectors click on the HPFS which sounds fine. But after I hear them the car shutters and chokes a bit, and once in a while It does this while driving.

My 3rd issue: I'm getting the p0442 code for Small Evap leak detected, Replaced the fuel cap with OEM and the purge solenoid on the intake. This did not fix the issue. Plugs are only 2 years old and have only 10 k on them (Also OE/ AC Delco)

I feel like these issues are in some way related but I haven't been able to pin point it. Also as a side note (and possibly just in my head) but I feel like it doesn't have near the amount of power it did when I bought it. I feel like it's probably something simple but now I'm over thinking it and driving myself crazy!:willy:

Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Also it's the 2007 GXP, completely stock with just under 90k.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I am sure you will get lots of good advice.

You may have more than one issue based on the symptoms so be prepared.

The stumble idle problem when war could be related to the throttle body which with the miles on the car could be pretty dirty. See threads on symptoms of dirty throttle body and cleaning.

At 90k miles your car probably is a good candidate for carbon blasting. There are several recent posts that cover ignition and running issues that have been cropping up in DI engines that is a relate of carbon buildup on the intake valves. The most current info I have seen recommends that the intake be media blasted to remove carbon build up as early as every 30k miles. You are well beyond that point so that could be one of your issues.

There are several threads from two or three years on this and the Skyroadster forum that address issues and codes resulting from the evap system in the tank having issues. They are intermittent.

another thing to do some research on are your cam servos and cam position sensors. If you read the transmission succage thread you will see that there are more than a few automatic cars that are having hard shifting due to intermittent performance issues with the servos and or sensors. I have to believe that the five speed cars are experiencing the same types of failures but since it does not show up as an easily detectible result like the autos experience, we tend to just drive through the intermittent failures. It is possible that your car is experiencing random and intermittent issues with the servos or sensors and you are seeing the results . .. again on a random basis. Swapping them out might address some of your problems.

Again, welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed a long time ago, that I had quite a bit of soot in the exhausts. So I would bet that is the issue.. I was thinking of trying a seafoam injection into the intake as quick fix as I don't have the tools to take the intake off and blast it. And I will also clean the throttle body while I'm at it. What are your thoughts on the seafoam treatment? I'm pretty skeptical about it, but it would be a good thing to try to maybe pinpoint the issue. As long as it doesn't cause more harm than good.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
The p0442 code (Small Evap leak) would suggest there's a leak somewhere, which could match the symptoms. You might need to get a 'smoke test' done.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hopefully it's not your charcoal canister or anywhere near it.... You know that hump in your trunk? It's on the other side of that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Deanie2007!

People like Rob the elder and TomatoSoup are incredibly helpful, however, if you'd like to have these issues addressed by your local GM Dealership, I'd be more than happy to share your concerns with your preferred one. PM us with your VIN, preferred dealership, and contact info we'll get that ball rolling for you!

Regards,

Geoff G.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses! So I started really torquing the gas cap down every time I fill up, and I ran some intake cleaning agents through a vacuum line and drove it. It seems to have cleared up a lot of the running issues. So far I still have the stammer at warm idle, but I haven't cleaned the throttle body yet so I'll let you guys know if that yields anything positive. So far I have not seen the engine light so maybe these issues aren't related. Thanks for all the helpful input guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts