Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so a few quick things. 2007 pontiac solstice NA, about 53K miles, I have had trouble putting in gas (http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/car-wont-accept-fuel-81249/) since I became the new owner at 23k miles 2 years ago. A few nights ago the check engine light (solid, not blinking) has stayed on. It was fine, I parked it and the weather got cold, then started and had it on since (for about 150 miles now).

I dont think it is the gas cap because I have put gas in it since and I always click it 1 or 2 times. Plus it has been over 6 key cycles so...

So I just visited an Autozone, got the code P0442 (small leak in evaporative emissions (EVAP) system) and the suggested part is a Canister Purge Valve.

So a few questions:
Could this have been the underlying cause of my troubles pumping gas? I mean I spend over 10 minutes pumping gas because it will only accept it when I pump at a very very slow rate.

Is this something a simple check engine light will fix?

What effects would driving 150 miles have because of this issue? What should I look to fix/replace as a cause of driving on this code, if any.

Here is a picture of the autozone report:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qygt1_UcQ88

Also, Ive noticed at certain gas stations you kind of have to get the nozzle in the correct depth to use it at full blast. Around here, some gas stations have really short nozzles and some have much longer nozzles, so maybe the placement/depth that you put the nozzle inside has something to do with that?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Evap solenoid

needs replacing

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the video! I will be doing the test in a bit... Will this one do?

EVAP Purge Solenoid
It says it'll fit, but should I go for the OEM or not, since it already failed be in under 25k miles...?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Yup.

Minimum letter count on posts can suck it.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
But doing that wouldn't show my grievance with the rule...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car still not accepting gas either... Tried several depths and rotations with the gas nozel, no success. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Have you reset the code?

Is light still on?

was your old evap bad?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Old evap seemed fine, no air blew through or any cracks on side. (Still replaced with new one)

Light still on but have not reset it (drove over an hour or so on it).

Putting in gas, the nozzle shuts off every second or two and spews out gas, (my tank was empty, fuel range less than 20 miles) and still has trouble accepting gas at all.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You have to reset the CEL before you know if you fixed the issue or not. Sometimes the light will go off by themselves and reset, sometimes they won't. It depends on the issue.

Now for the gas issue. Have you changed gas stations? Have you done anything to your car that would affect the fuel flow...ie- changed the gas tank, fuel hose, etc. Mustangs had this issue and what happened was over time the hose "kinked" in the middle and there was a recall to straighten out the hose and replace it if necessary. I'm guessing your CEL and your inability to put gas in your car are related. It probably has to do with your evap canister. It sits on top of the gas tank and is a bear to get at. My guess is that it's probably plugged. When you didn't have this issue, did you stop pumping gas with the first click or are you one those people that puts every last drop of gas in your tank that will fit? If so, you've flooded your evap canister and it's going to take some time before it dries out enough....many times it will require replacement. We used to get it all the time at the dealership. Someone would come in and complain about a bad gas smell and a CEL...come to find out the pump would shut off and they would crame another gallon or 2 into the tank. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS stop pumping gas with the first shutoff of the pump!!! NEVER put any more gas in your tank after that first auto shut off!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
the EVAP system VENT solenoid is responsible for purging the air out of the gas tank on fill up. If the valve is bad or the hose is blocked it cant let the air out of the tank as you fill up.

The PURGE solenoid has a different function.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know that my gas tank holds 13 gallons, I never put more than 10 gallons when the light comes on. But it always stops and I keep squeezing until I fill up 8-10 gallons, because I know I have until 13 gallons. I don't over fill and never did. The problem always happened so I couldn't tell by the nozzle stopping but by the amount I put in it.

I always use the same 2-3 Chevrons in my area, a few Exxon, and occasional Shell if Im really low. I notice that it sometimes does not stop if Im at a pump that can pump the gas slow, but I have to hold it and release pressure throughout the process or it will stop.

I read somewhere that leaving the gas cap off and revving the car might help, but Im afraid of something getting in. Would the gas cap being off help it dry or anything?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I know that my gas tank holds 13 gallons, I never put more than 10 gallons when the light comes on. But it always stops and I keep squeezing until I fill up 8-10 gallons, because I know I have until 13 gallons. I don't over fill and never did. The problem always happened so I couldn't tell by the nozzle stopping but by the amount I put in it.

I always use the same 2-3 Chevrons in my area, a few Exxon, and occasional Shell if Im really low. I notice that it sometimes does not stop if Im at a pump that can pump the gas slow, but I have to hold it and release pressure throughout the process or it will stop.

I read somewhere that leaving the gas cap off and revving the car might help, but Im afraid of something getting in. Would the gas cap being off help it dry or anything?
No...it won't dry it out...it might eventually dry out, it might not. If my memory serves me correctly, you have a GXP....you should try to NEVER allow your low fuel light to come on!!! You're playing with fire! You're going to ruin your High Pressure Fuel Pump and that's expensive! I would check out what WifesGXP said and see if it's your vent solenoid that quit working. I don't know how to check that, but would start there.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have a GXP, but I will start keeping more fuel in the tank. I'll check the vent when I reset the code in a bit, I ordered a scanner and won't be driving the Solstice for a bit.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Reset code, drove a few miles, no check engine light.

I will be putting premium gas only and keeping the gas tank above 1/4 for the next 200 miles and report back.

Thank you for the support guys and gals!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Driven 204 miles, no check engine light! I did a scan again, no codes.

Solution was to change the evap solenoid and reset code.

This week I will be check to see if my gas pumping problems go away too!!!!!

Thanks team for the info! :grouphug:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fuel pumping update: Gas tank showed slightly under 1/2, I tried filling up normally ... no go, stopped every 2 seconds. Tried different depths... no go, stopped.

FINALLY, I rotated the pumping nozzle to face the sky (180 degrees) and had to insert the nozzle pretty deep for it to work without stopping.

Will update if this is fixed next gas run!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts