Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
code P2188 help, an update

I have a 07 GXP auto tran with 86K miles. Just bought it 3 month ago. So far had flushed the coolant and did a trans fluid change. But now it has a check engine light on for the last 2 days, scan for code, shows fault code P2188. I did a search on the forum, but did not get much information. The code means leaking fuel pressure regulator or leaking fuel injector. I know the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel tank. Two weeks ago, when i put gas in the tank, the gas nozzle did not shut off when full, so i have some gas spillage and the tank was over filled. But the car run fine, gas mileage is right on. SO i did not think twice about it( no CEL), yesterday, the tank was half full, the CEL light went on, so i filled the gas tank to full today, the light still on. Any thoughts? the car runs fine even with the CEL on, I guess is that the fuel pressure regulator is fooled because of gas over fill and when the tank is half full, it start to tell the fuel pump in the tank to send out more gas than needed. any thoughts?
I sure hate the thought of replacing the fuel injector,

Update: the CEL is off for the pass 2 days and kept off, the car still runs normal as before. thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
First things first, the fuel pressure regulator has nothing to do with filling the tank. Your over-fill problem is because something was wrong with the gas station's pump, not anything to do with the car.

Second, use the "Google Search" option instead of "Search Forums" in the search pulldown. The default search tool on this board blows. Try these threads for more info on P2188: Pontiac Solstice Forum | Solstice Pics | Photos - Search Results for p2188

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
The code means your fuel trim is rich at IDLE. Overfilling tank probably compromised (flooded) the evap control system. Give it some time, it likely will self correct and drop the CEL after a few cycles after it corrects. Won't hurt to keep driving it, just don't overfill tank, stop when pump shuts off the first time.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My long shot guess at this, make sure your gas cap is on tight, I usually turn it 3 times hearing the clacks to insure it is seated well.. Within 3 starting cycles or 3 start ups / 3 days it should go away if it cleared itself.. If its still there, clear the code by disconnecting your battery for 30 minutes, then see if it returns the next day, if so, time for a check up..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My long shot guess at this, make sure your gas cap is on tight, I usually turn it 3 times hearing the clacks to insure it is seated well.. Within 3 starting cycles or 3 start ups / 3 days it should go away if it cleared itself.. If its still there, clear the code by disconnecting your battery for 30 minutes, then see if it returns the next day, if so, time for a check up..
I think i may have to get a new gas cap, the old one is after market with the key and lock. Will look for a acdelco cap with lock. One question, do you have to disconnect both positive and neg on the battery? thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Just disconnect the negative and leave the positive alone. The positive has a cap on it for a reason. If you try to disconnect the positive and you happen to short the wrench to ground in the process, your going to have more issues than you have now.

Just disconnect the negative.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Rather than disconnecting the battery, just remove the ECM fuse in the underhood fuse block. Much easier.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just disconnect the negative and leave the positive alone. The positive has a cap on it for a reason. If you try to disconnect the positive and you happen to short the wrench to ground in the process, your going to have more issues than you have now.

Just disconnect the negative.
:agree: Doing the battery thing will also give you a chance to inspect for corrosion on the terminals..
Always disconnect the negative first to break the power circuit...

Rather than disconnecting the battery, just remove the ECM fuse in the under-hood fuse block. Much easier.
That will work also..:thumbs: Is it the same 30 minutes TS?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: the CEL is off for the pass 2 days and kept off, the car still runs normal as before. thanks all for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Back on the battery terminal removal. If you ever have to remove the battery, It's good practice to Always remove the negetive terminal first and then remove the positive. Just like Bob said. Even if all you are doing is changing or cleaning the positive terminal. there's brackets and stuff in the battery area that you will most likely hit with your wrench or ratchet that could cause serious injury if it's not your day. I've done it myself not being careful and luckily, all I got was some sparks.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
On a side note, I realize you were at a faulty gas pump, but NEVER, EVER under any circumstances go past that first auto shutoff from the gas pump. You will flood the charcoal canister and at the very least, smell raw gas for the next eternity!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a side note, I realize you were at a faulty gas pump, but NEVER, EVER under any circumstances go past that first auto shutoff from the gas pump. You will flood the charcoal canister and at the very least, smell raw gas for the next eternity!
I see your point, can the charcoal canister be easily replaced? thanks again for all the help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts