Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Many of us have been very happy with the BC coil overs. they are reliable, low cost, adjustable for rebound damping and height. Nice combination.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
This^^^^^ :agree:

Reactions: rob the elder

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
BC because they just donated a custom set for the V8 Charity Solstice! (They actually sent a second set by mistake and did not even realize it. We sent it back, of course.) BC was super great to work with and insisted we get have the car four-corner weighed so they could custom set the front spring rates for the added weight.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The kw's have much better build quality compared to the bc ones, i had b&g coilovers which are probably built by the same company that made bc's coilovers. The adjustment nuts at the top rusted out after a few winters and the adjustment rings wore out from constant adjusting and eventually seized... if you want some spare b&g coilovers let me know.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
The KV 1 are not adjustable for anything but ride height. If that's all you want and are happy paying 50% more than the BC shocks, go for it, but if you want to save a half a kilobuck for something else and want to be able to adjust stiffness to boot, the BC units are well made.

Shabby - damning the BC shocks by implication by saying they "are probably made by the same company" and the B&Gs were crap) is a 'shabby' shot. There are lots of poorly made shocks out there, and without any evidence that the two companies are related, nor that the BC units have shown any sign of the defects you speak of is sheer misdirection.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I'm thinking Shabby's ride is a daily driver or sits out and exposed to the elements?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'm thinking Shabby's ride is a daily driver or sits out and exposed to the elements?
I was thinking that it might be a solo car - otherwise why would anyone bother constantly adjusting the suspension. (and if he'd just applied some suitable grease to the adjustment points every few times he was in there doing that, and lubed the adjustment rings, maybe he wouldn't have had the problems he did?) Or maybe he is right and the B&G are sub standard - I have no experience with that brand.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Shabby - damning the BC shocks by implication by saying they "are probably made by the same company" and the B&Gs were crap) is a 'shabby' shot. There are lots of poorly made shocks out there, and without any evidence that the two companies are related, nor that the BC units have shown any sign of the defects you speak of is sheer misdirection.
That was actually a compliment for bc coilovers, but since they're much cheaper than b&g's they're probably another chinese coilover.

Don't worry about my car.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I agree with Shabby. His experience is relevant and he is coming from a non-owner POV for either shock.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for.

BC coilovers are great value and decent, but they aren't at the high end of product offering scale. From what I've read they use the same generic valving across the entire lineup unless you spec out and order custom valving. Also, with pretty typical construction, they are susceptible to seizing the collars, etc.

KW coilovers are more expensive. You have V1 to V3 designs depending on how much you want to spend and what adjustability you want. I find them better built too like Shabby. KW design coilovers with custom valving for every vehicle application and they have a lifetime warranty. KW coilovers use stainless steel construction for maximum durability and they have plastic collars/perches to avoid seizing of these parts. KW is huge, been around forever and is one of the world's leading suppliers of performance oriented suspension systems.

There is no black and white answer here. There are cheaper options and there are much more expensive options than these two. It's a personal decision if you're okay with the cheaper option or if you want to spend some more and get more. And consider how you plan to use the car. Do you want extra performance? And how will it be used? Concern over seized coilovers becomes very significant with a daily driver car, with a car used in wet weather or winter, with a high use car, etc.

I'd recommend people doing coilovers to read up on the spring rates for whatever they are considering. People have ordered custom spring rates for both BC and KW coilovers. The kappaperformance website has a thread that discusses this is more detail.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
KW
Well said.

I have experienced none of the problems that shabby has, but my car is only driven on nice days in good weather. And its not driven very hard ever. My primary reason for making the choice was first height adjustability and second price. I have been very happy with them. But if you are looking for other characteristics and are not as cost sensitive as I was then, you may decide to go in a different direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts