Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.I'm thinking of adding a CAF to my 07 GXP am I wasting my money, I'm only looking for a better sound and just a little more gitty up.

Thanks, bob F

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
You'll get more "sound" - little giddyup. CAF with other modifications combined with a tune will get you more HP.

"Search" is your friend, my friend. Upper center of the website.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
I'm going to disagree slightly and say that there is really no performance advantage to a CAI, tune or no tune. They draw air from the same place and my flow bench test showed no difference.

You do get more noise, and may prefer the look.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't know about the GXP, but a CAI did wonders for the sound inside the cabin of my '06 NA. Mine really sounds good.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I noticed no performance gain at all with My CAI. It did allow me to get rid of all that plastic under the hood however, and with the DDMworks top end cover installed, got rid of the rest of the plastic hiding the engine. Engine bay looks dramatically better and all the engine accoutrements are much more accessible now.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I agree with John.

In my old school muscle car with factory ram air (which itself is a misnomer, it's cool air induction) I had to re-tune my carb's idle circuit after I got the ram air air cleaner finally located purchased and installed. It really did introduce cooler air at idle. The only tangible positive effect it had was at idle and quite low speed I am sure; the scoops are not in a high pressure area. And what am I talking about, half a hp? One maximum? None at all? Cool as hell, but a gimmick for most 'ram air' cars.

In the Sol GXP, you're getting the same warm air you got all along. But the CAI cleans up the under hood area for sure, and looks good.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I agree with John.

In my old school muscle car with factory ram air (which itself is a misnomer, it's cool air induction) I had to re-tune my carb's idle circuit after I got the ram air air cleaner finally located purchased and installed.
And depending on the CAI that's put under the hood, you might need to be retuned with a turbo car. There have been many instances of K&N and off brands causing CELs.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
If you decide to go that route don't oil the filter as some kits advise we have had more than one member who has had issues with his MAF sensor after doing this it's really not necessary

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Along with what sting advises, If you have an oiled filter you don't really have to throw it away. Wash it thoroughly to remove the oil, dry it and reinstall it.

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
For the 2.0 cars, the CAI offers no improvement in performance. The factory air cleaner is very well designed and as a result the CAI does not help at all.

If it DID offer any performance gain, if your 2.0 car has the factory tune, that tune will "learn down" any improved performance gains.

The "cold air intake" isn't. It draws air from the same location as the factory intake filter so there is no improvement to be gained.

The factory airbox design does a great job at making the intake quiet. When you remove the factory box and replace it with a CAI you get a LOT more intake noise. When you first start the car it sounds like a dieing chicken screaming in its death throws. Every time you let off the gas you will hear the blow off from the turbo. Some like it, some dont. There are instances of people going back to the stock airbox because they did not like all the noise. I like it but cant hear anything but the exhaust anymore .

For the 2.4 cars, there is not much you can do to make more power. The tunes I have seen are more for "drivability" than power increases. Unless you put boost on the intake to force more charge into the engine, its pretty much where its going to be till the end of time. People have put a lot of effort into getting another 5-7 HP out of it based on my reading.

There are really only two reasons to go with a CAI.

You like the looks
or
You like the noise

If you use an oiled air cleaner you run the risk of MAF contamination. Early on, many members bought and installed the reusable, oiled CAI filter. Several of them ended up with a contaminated MAF. Not all, but enough so it was a topic for discussion for a few months and became a "known problem"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts