Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can get a full cold air intake system, also does anyone know where I can get it for pretty cheap? Also does anybody know if it’s an easy install or if it requires welding of any sort? Just curious if I could do it myself?

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a full cold air intake system, also does anyone know where I can get it for pretty cheap? Also does anybody know if it’s an easy install or if it requires welding of any sort? Just curious if I could do it myself?
Technically speaking, your car already has a full cold air intake system, and the ones you can buy do not perform any better than the stock system. That said, if you want one for appearance, ddmworks.com sells them, and they are a supprting vendor of the forum, supportive of the community, and generally nice people. Cheap is relative, i suppose, $210 for a 2.4, or $295 for the 2.0. They are bolt-on, so you should be able to do it yourself.

Reactions: Lalieya

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
I got mine at ddmworks. Like john says, they get their air from the same location as the stock system, so the air is no colder and I can't tell any difference in performance. They do allow you you to get rid all that plastic on the drivers side of the engine and the engine compartment looks much cleaner. At the same time, If you are going for looks, you might also consider the ddmworks stainless steel coil cover that allows you to get rid of that huge plastic engine cover. It's all bolt on and very easy to install.

(I'm very good at helping other people spend money.)

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
I eliminated the Helmholtz Resonator on the side of the engine by simply removing it and plugging the port.

(I'm very good at helping people to not spend money.) (DDM doesn't like me as much as they like @joybill44 )

·
Super Moderator
16,601 Posts
What is your goal for installing a CAI?

As stated the stock intake is very efficient and there is no evidence that I have seen in the past 14 years I have been in this community that the CAI has any positive impact on performance. If you chose one with a preoiled air cleaner, there are more than a few instances where the oil has contaminated the MAF and caused limp mode. They also provide a direct path for the intake sounds which means they tend to make a lot of noise. They look cool and if you like the added intake noise then go for it.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Nothing is cheap...all will be at least $300 that work on our cars. It is easy to install and should require no welding. You could do it. Now......be very careful what you buy. If you do buy one, make 100% sure that they stand behind their product and you won't get a check engine light (CEL). There is a vendor on Facebook and around that sells a CAI that causes a CEL and you have to get a tune (a new program for your ECM) to use it. Not too mention they won't answer emails or calls. Look around, do your research. I won't name names, but I've seen plenty of issues with their items. With that said, the supporting vendors here are really good.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Given that there are several aftermarket CAIs that can cause problems, and that the few that don't are high quality and a bit costly, you might want to spend your modification budget on something that really does improve the performance of the car, starting with some handling mods perhaps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
These are the DDM Works polished charge pipes and air intake. The filter is from Airaid.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The location of these cone filters results in sucking warm air from the engine bay. I don't get it..... Seems counter productive in terms of performance. Stock air box is a true cold air intake. Whereas these aftermarket parts are noise makers and engine bling at best and power robbing at worse. Sorry if this offends.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The location of these cone filters results in sucking warm air from the engine bay. I don't get it..... Seems counter productive in terms of performance. Stock air box is a true cold air intake. Whereas these aftermarket parts are noise makers and engine bling at best and power robbing at worse. Sorry if this offends.
well, Generous Motors, in its infinite wisdom, offered this as an accessory

Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
They also put fake vents on hood.

At least the GM one has some heat shield unlike the great majority of 3rd party vendor's.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Neither of the GM intakes nor the aftermarket ones are true cold air intakes and they aren't going to affect power output in any significant way. The GMPP versions simplifies the under hood appearance though, and doesn't cause any of the problems that some of the aftermarket ones do.

I seem to recall that someone actually created a true CAI but did it by cutting into the under hood structures to get access to unheated outside air. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine recalls that and can point us at it.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
CAI in reality are mostly for show and a little extra engine noise cheap ones are made in China and are crap . The best would be a GM which at one time was a dealer accessory or a K&N . As for installing one about an hour if your handy another option would be a performance replacement air filter I like K&N but I run mine dry .

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
Neither of the GM intakes nor the aftermarket ones are true cold air intakes and they aren't going to affect power output in any significant way. The GMPP versions simplifies the under hood appearance though, and doesn't cause any of the problems that some of the aftermarket ones do.

I seem to recall that someone actually created a true CAI but did it by cutting into the under hood structures to get access to unheated outside air. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine recalls that and can point us at it.
As long as the car is moving forward, the air at the stock intake is within a degree of ambient.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As long as the car is moving forward, the air at the stock intake is within a degree of ambient.
I wonder what's the ambient air temp if sitting idle between a stock air box vs cone filters a warm summer day.
The GMPP has a sock which protects the cone from potential water sprays and crud kicked up by other cars.

·
Registered
887 Posts
OK so the warm engine air is going to have a hard time moving to in front of the radiator, while driving and also when sitting at a traffic light. When driving the air coming in through the radiator is blowing in the direction of the firewall. so any hot air in the engine bay is not going to try and make a mad dash through the crowd to get in front of the radiator. and when the fan is running the same thing happens....

This movement also causes the air from the air cleaner location to get pulled into the engine bay this causes a low pressure condition. Air is going to have a really hard time getting to that spot from the engine bay because it is being told to go in the opposite direction either by the movement of the car or the fan. And what adds to that is the removal f air that takes place due to the intake sucking it in. If you open the solstice hood and walk in front of the car then look straight down between the headlight and the bumper cover that is where the air comes up from. The air down there has not been heated at all this is the air that take care of that low pressure condition

You can test this by running your car for IDK... 1 or 2 hours if you like. Then stop the car and shut it off, get out and open the hood. Stand in front of the car and stick you hand under the edge of the hood and touch the front of the air cleaner box.

Do the same thing and let the car sit there idling for an hour. You need to have the hood closed during the entire hour. after an hour is up shut the car off open the hood and check. I am pretty confident that the front of the air cleaner bx is not going to be all that warm if at all.

FYI technically speaking only an intake that has a pipe made from plastic can be classified as a cold air intake. Aluminum is a fantastic conductor of what?? Heat. When there is moving air across the aluminum what happens?? It transfers that heat into the air that is moving across it. The velocity of the air that is moving inside the intake is going to be faster then outside, so an aluminum pipe is going to transfer engine bay heat right into the intake air. Not really cold air after all is it?

When they came up with these devices is when they were using doughnut style air cleaners that sat on top of the engine. so yes. an aluminum pipe with an air cleaner at the end of the pipe and that air cleaner was in a fender... or some where other then the top of the engine is always going to function better then the doughnut on top of the engine.. Now before someone makes a statement about an old school hood scoop, that kind of a design is not included in this example. I am talking about a plain Jane up to the mid 1970's type of air cleaner that was found on top of the engine and that air cleaner sat right on top of the carburetor. my point being the air going in at that spot is going to be just about the hottest that is inside that engine bay. So doesn't matter what the pipe was made of so long as it got air from the edges of the engine bay it was always going to be colder. Most cars made currently will pull air that is not engine bay air. Now there could be a power improvement because of a restriction in the stock intake system, any improvement seen when installing a CAI on a modern vehicle is not because of the temperature of the air.

If you want the intake to make more noise, and keep the air going into the engine cold... get out the hacksaw and cut the stock air cleaner box off as close as you can get to it. Go and buy a cone style air cleaner for 40-60 bucks that has the same size opening as the diameter of the pipe where you cut the stock box off clamp it on. and you now have the best CAI that money can buy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same Spiel here from me. Why try to buy something you already have? They'll sell you anything if you'll buy it. It is not an Indy car or Formula1.
As always my advice is to drop the "high flow" low filtration effectiveness (spray with oil) air filter and find a good 'fine particle' filter that fits your tube if you live where its dusty like I do. Find my post "Spectre filter OUT" if you want to.
SO after about three months with a high filtration filter on there my tail pipe is Perfectly Clean! (like when i started)
My performance observation is: ...with the slightly richer fuel/air mixture the high efficiency filter causes: Its a little less peppy at lower RPM's and much peppier after it reaches about 2000 and seems to have more power at higher speeds in higher gears rather than lower. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would think under open loop, the ECU should always target a stoichiometric AFR unless something is messed up with a sensor. If you constantly find you are running pig rich, I would check MAF, cat, cam sensor, vacuum leak etc.
Your sparkplugs are good story tellers too. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
also the sooting problems that occur with the Solstice are on the GXP trim and this is because of the PCV system and oil getting into the intake tract and being burned in the cylinder. the result is soot out the tail pipe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts