Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tapping noise when I start the engine of my 06 Sol. If this 2.4 had solid lifters, I'd say they need adjusting. Sounds like a lifter noise..... it goes away after car warms up a bit. Car runs great otherwise. Anyone else have this problem or know what it might be ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi mjsol. I have the same long standing problem. My warranty expires in one month and i am taking it into the dealer next week. Time to play hardball. I am telling them that I want this corrected!!! I am thinking that it is either a belt tensioner (bad bearings) or timing chain / hydralic adjuster.This is the only thing that bothers me about this car after 3 years. Almost to the point were i thought about getting rid of the car because of it. Heres a link to my story:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/issue-following-dealer-oil-change-59005/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Woody, thanks for the info. After reading thru all the posts, this sounds like a fairly common problem. As far as the synthetic oil being the culprit, I don't think so. My Sol had dyno oil in it when I bought it (3500 miles ago) and was making the same noise before and after I put Mobil 1 in it. Funny, The Seabreeze part makes sense, I didn't notice any engine noise when I bought from the dealer. Started about 1000 miles after I got it. I still have a lot of warranty left ... Please keep me and everyone else informed and GOOD LUCK with your warranty work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No problem mjsol. I too often thought the used car dealer where i bought it might have used Sea Foam or something similar to mask the nosie when I bought it. On a side note, I actually did switch back to regular dino oil and it made no difference whatsoever. Recently I got my wife to rev the car while I listened closely with the top cover off the engine, and it sure sounds like its coming from the top of the motor at the very front - I highly suspect either timing chain , or the hydralic tensioner for the chain - thinking that the tensioner is for some reason taking extra long to build up suffient pressure to start functioning correctly or something like that. My appointment at GM dealer is next Tuesday. I'll let you know what happens, but I already have a gut feeling that I will be going to GM customer relations - guess I am already suspecting a fight coming on.!!I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts