Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Chicago the weather has been hitting freezing points... which gets a couple of my cars to act up. Weird noises, alarms not responding the way they should, locks not coperating, and so on. :willy:

For those of you with a Sol in the cold areas, wanted to know if you've noticed anything odd yet? :lurk:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
well...check my thread on ECOTEC Computer problems

can't say for sure it is cold-weather-related...but when I get Merlin back from the dealership with a new PCM I'll know a lot more for sure

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Integraoligist said:
Here in Chicago the weather has been hitting freezing points... which gets a couple of my cars to act up. Weird noises, alarms not responding the way they should, locks not coperating, and so on. :willy:

For those of you with a Sol in the cold areas, wanted to know if you've noticed anything odd yet? :lurk:
Yep. There have been reports in other threads that people are out driving around in very cold temps with coats on and tops down.

Wait, you asked the people that already have their cars. Nevermind.... :willy:

Soon, very soon, I should be able to give you a better answer...I hope. Mine is near, can almost smell it, and I plan to drive it in the cold with the top down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Integraoligist said:

I am not to far from Chicago. The only problem I am seeing so far, is water getting between the gaskets and windows or top and freezing. When you open the door or top you might tear the gasket, making you more prone to water leaks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
druid-2 said:
well...check my thread on ECOTEC Computer problems

can't say for sure it is cold-weather-related...but when I get Merlin back from the dealership with a new PCM I'll know a lot more for sure
yes, let us know as soon as you can, thanks!

dylan01 said:
Dylan01 has nothing to report on. Over.
Over... OVER?... NOTHING IS OVER UNTIL WE SAY IT'S OVER!

ACBUNNY said:
I am not to far from Chicago. The only problem I am seeing so far, is water getting between the gaskets and windows or top and freezing. When you open the door or top you might tear the gasket, making you more prone to water leaks.
yikes, sounds like a recall waiting to happen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Integraoligist said:

I also live in Chicago and I had to take my car in to the dealer already. The buttress on the passenger side refused to lock down in cold weather. The latches don't pop out all the way in the trunk. The dealer told me that they readjusted the latch and lubricated it. Hopefully this will not happen anymore. Not being able to access the trunk all winter will truly suck.

Another thing that might help from the windows freezing to the seals is to lubricate the seals with a light coat of oil. This will help prevent tearing the seals in the winter. :cool:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The only thing I've noticed is some excessive rattling of the passenger door panel when I go over bumps, which I assume is related to different rates of shrinkage in the materials during cold temps. I am bringing the car to the dealer on Friday for an unrelated window seal problem, so I may ask them to take a look at it. May be just a loose panel.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ACBUNNY said:
Acbunny, use some armorall, or baby oil on the gaskets will keep them pliable and help prevent sticking.

·
Registered
350 Posts
When the transmission is cold I find it hard to shift into 2nd until it warms up. I'm not sure if this is normal with manual cars as I am new to them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No Cold Problems in SE Michigan

Integraoligist said:

Been driving my Sol to work in the freezing cold (top up of course). Have not noticed any significant problems - other than the frozen roads of Michigan giving me quite a bump here and there. Will probably put her up for the winter though. Not sure if I should disconnect the battery - or if the rundown protection is good enough - or just periodically start her up in January/February/March.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
jschimp said:
Been driving my Sol to work in the freezing cold (top up of course). Have not noticed any significant problems - other than the frozen roads of Michigan giving me quite a bump here and there. Will probably put her up for the winter though. Not sure if I should disconnect the battery - or if the rundown protection is good enough - or just periodically start her up in January/February/March.
Might I suggest getting a battery maintainer.I just got one today for my brothers Chirstmas present.Their pertty cheap at wallyworld. :leaving:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SolsticeDesire said:
When the transmission is cold I find it hard to shift into 2nd until it warms up. I'm not sure if this is normal with manual cars as I am new to them.
I'd have to say thats normal with a Manual, both my Acura and Audi are a little "notchy" in the winter time unstill their warmed up.

jschimp said:
As for winter storage options, with my bikes I found it to be easier and for some reasonbetter for the battery and engine to just start them up and let them warmup and run for about 20-30 min. ever 2 weeks or so.
My buddy's has a "Battery Tender" that he's used for a couple of years now, usually he's got to get a new bike battery after 2 years while mine usually last 4-5. Don't know why that is... but some people swear by the Battery Tender so to each his own. :lurk:

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
ACBUNNY said:
Just called my dealer about your concern. He said that GM makes a product called "Weatherstrip Conditioner" which is a roll-on type of liquid. This should take care of any problems with freezing. :) However, it costs about $70. Yikes! :(

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've had a slight rattle in the dash in the morning. Once the cabin has warmed up, it goes away though.

I'm having 2nd gear issues not related to the cold and when 2nd doesn't want to play nice, I pretend my Sol came equiped with a 1-3 skip shift. So if you're running into cold 2nd gear problems, that's an option.

·
Registered
121 Posts
cold weather report from San Antonio!

Berserk303 said:
I also live in Chicago and I had to take my car in to the dealer already. The buttress on the passenger side refused to lock down in cold weather. The latches don't pop out all the way in the trunk. The dealer told me that they readjusted the latch and lubricated it. Hopefully this will not happen anymore. Not being able to access the trunk all winter will truly suck.
Yes, San Antonio. I came looking this AM (Friday) specifically for this problem. George has less than 500 miles on him. We had freezing rain Weds evening - came home with ice on sides, hood, mirrors, etc. Below freezing all night - all the way down to 23 through 10 AM. (Well, gosh, you're welcome for the weather report!) Left him in the carport (see avatar) Thurs AM but took him out Thurs afternoon when temps were finally above freezing - still some ice on car, most gone. We stopped for groceries so used trunk at store and at home. This AM took him out and about 2 miles from house (1/4 mile highway speed), passenger buttress popped up. Driver side fine. Got it down but it popped again a couple more miles down the road. Left it up. When I got home, played with it. It seems locked in better, but, we'll see. Noticed that the passenger side buttress-pointy-downy-thingy does not line up right in the middle of the hole - it pulls to side away from catch. Is this what is adjustable?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I had this problem after working out last night. I went to put my gear in the trunk and had a hard time locking the passenger-side buttress in place. I had to close the trunk several times before it would latch in place properly. Never have had it pop up while driving though. I will have it checked out tomorrow when I go to the dealership for some other things. Maybe I will know more after that. Will let you know.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It's very cold here in Ohio -- But My Solstice is sitting in my heated Garage waiting for a warm day! :cool:

I think the coldest weather I've had her in is about 45 degrees. And Hopefully, If my truck keeps running, She'll never see the freezing weather! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts