Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So about 2 1/2 years ago, my solstice was rear ended on the highway and the damage was around 8,000 dollars. It was repaired by the body shop that handles all my uncles companies fleet services. Since it was done, there have been minor problems, but now, a couple years later, there are more problems surfacing. They replaced the pass. rear quarter, rear valence, trunk lid, and lots of other parts under the valence including rebuilding of the hydroformed frame rail i'm pretty sure. I have photos of the problem areas...

This is a photo of the door gap on the passenger side whhere the door is actually scraping on the door jam when it closes:

This is a picture of the Drivers side where the gap is normal.

The impact actually broke the radio screen, which was never replaced...

This is the drivers side rubber stopper on the top which makes total contact with the windsheild brace:

This is the passenger side which doesn't even touch:

These are the scrapes where the door hits the jamb:

This is by the passenger side tail light where the deck lid sits a little over the tail light when fully closed:

This is where the rocker panel meets the front fender panel:

This is where the factory spot welds would have been for the rear quarter panel under the deck lid:

This is the passenger side rocker where the paint is already distorted:

This picture shows the rear valence mis aligned with the rear quarter and putting tension on the inner fender liner:

The reason I am posting all these pictures is too ask am I being too critical? Too those of you that know the Kappa platform inside and out, how bad is this damage really? The alignment seems to check out but I'm worried they may have not fixed the frame right, considering all the other stuff they did wrong. This car has a great amount of sentimental value to me and I'd like it fixed correctly. Do you guys think I could gain anything my contacting the insurance company? Does the body shop have any obligations after 2 1/2 years? How much do you think it will cost to repair these errors? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix this particular car, but I'm just a college student and money is tight, not to mention my other various projects. Any Advice would be great as I've been worried about this for a while now...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't exactly have the money at this point to sell this car and buy another one, even if it were the same model year with the same mileage, not to mention, I'm pretty sure this care doesn't even have the accident on car fax as a police report was never filed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The 1/4 panel, rocker panel and door jam are all one piece. They are glued on from the factory. They may have cut the door jam off the new 1/4 to save time. It looks like the 1/4 is shifting and that one photo looks like the adhesive is oozing out. I would take it to another body shop like a GM dealer thats familiar with these cars (former Pontiac dealer) and get their opinion. Then contact the insurance company.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I definitely don't know the kappa design inside & out, but I do know what it's like to be a financially struggling college student, so on that note I wish you good luck. I definitely agree w/Jeff about taking it to a GM dealer followed by a call to your insurance company to see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also looked at the wheels, and the drivers side wheel essentially rubs on the inner fender liner and the passenger side is futher away from it

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would contact the Body Shop that did the work first and see what they say about making an adjustment for you. If you did not use a Body Shop recommended by your Insurance Co. I doubt that they can help you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most body shops have a lifetime warranty on workmanship. I would go back to them and see what they say. When someone ran into mine I had the dealer fix it. They did a great job but I still had them fix some things I weren't happy with. They replaced the inner fenders 3 times because of cracking.

·
Registered
237 Posts
like its been stated....most GOOD body shops have a lifetime warrenty on their work. they should back it 100% unless the problems were caused by the user at a later time.

good shops now days are hard to come by. insurnace companies fight too hard and a lot of times a solid repair could be compromised by substandard shops. so if i were you i would definately get your issues addressed. my opinion on an extensive repair is everything should be within spec and should be like it was before the car was damaged. if its not there issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts