Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recent experience using colored wax on cars with paint chips.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I've used colored wax it will not cover up paint chips ,if you have chips Dr.Colorchip is a great product I use it as well as forum members easy to use and a perfect color match .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used colored wax it will not cover up paint chips ,if you have chips Dr.Colorchip is a great product I use it as well as forum members easy to use and a perfect color match .
Thanks. I'll look into this.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
+2 for Dr. Colorchip. BUT - make sure you clean the area you're covering the chips on thoroughly before using the product.

Otherwise it won't adhere.

After you've used it be sure to polish and wax/seal it. You'll be happy with the results!

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the Dupli-Color pens that have both color and clear coat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+2 for Dr. Colorchip. BUT - make sure you clean the area you're covering the chips on thoroughly before using the product.

Otherwise it won't adhere.

After you've used it be sure to polish and wax/seal it. You'll be happy with the results!
Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking into Dr.ColorChip and Dupli-Color pen, I decided to purchase the Dupli-Color pen which should suit me needs very well. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
After looking into Dr.ColorChip and Dupli-Color pen, I decided to purchase the Dupli-Color pen which should suit me needs very well. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got the delco pen,not perfect but now not noticeable like the chip was.I have to look for the spots now to find them,sliver shows everything but whats in the trunk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let us know how it works out.
I used the Dupli-Pen. It's a good concept; but, the application wasn't very good for my particular color and lack of experience. The paint flecks pooled within the larger chips creating "fish eyes". The many smaller chips ended up with nibs and runs. Being unfamiliar with the Dupli-Pen I'm sure it was poor execution on my part. These can be fixed. Since I'm retired, I have the time to fix all things that I attempt. I have more time than money and I enjoy the process no matter the outcome. Thank you all for your suggestions.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I have used coloured wax on occasion on the concours cars. It is good for concealing the very fine scratches you sometimes get and the colour helps with that. Anyone telling you that it would fill actual chips is having you on. Nothing short of using a touch up paint and some work on smoothing it afterward will make any difference at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have no personal experience, but a detailer friend told me that it is all hype, and doesn't really do anything that standard wax won't do.
I'm sorry, but this information is not correct. Ordinary wax will leave a white blob in a paint chip--making it stand out even more. Colored wax, on the other hand, does work to down-play the chip instead of highlighting it. I can speak from experience for the black-tinted stuff, which works a treat on my un-restored 1968 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle frame. For my cars, I have also used regular kid's wax crayon to fill small paint chips.

Touch-up paint is, of course, the best permanent solution--if you are willing to put in all the prep and finish work. But for a quick, if temporary, "five-foot" solution, crayons are are a good way to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry, but this information is not correct. Ordinary wax will leave a white blob in a paint chip--making it stand out even more. Colored wax, on the other hand, does work to down-play the chip instead of highlighting it. I can speak from experience for the black-tinted stuff, which works a treat on my un-restored 1968 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle frame. For my cars, I have also used regular kid's wax crayon to fill small paint chips.

Touch-up paint is, of course, the best permanent solution--if you are willing to put in all the prep and finish work. But for a quick, if temporary, "five-foot" solution, crayons are are a good way to go.
This is good information. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
:)

The "black" wax doesn't discolor my XM antenna or the rear diffuser, etc. Also doesn't seem to leave a halo around the scratch guards on the trunk lid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts