Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been looking through a some of the pics...my question is this:

Are the grills the same color on all of the colors?

In looking at the "black" show car (Detroit 2005 as well as the first pic on Pontiac's website), the grill is almost white or chrome. When you look at some of the other pics of any color, it is a dull grey or even black looking in others.

I'm assuming it is grey, is anyone who is getting Mysterious, thinking about chroming the grill?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
They are not body-colored....all seem to be grey/silver. An easy mod if you like body color.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yep ... that's part of the reason I think I originally didn't like the darker colors ... there's too much contrast there with it and all the headlight/foglight gear. Everything blends together more smoothly on the gray colors. I must say it's growing on me though. However I've considered getting another color and possibly repainting the grill and/or the charcoal-colored portion of the rear bumper that is on all the cars. Actually, the grill might look good in chrome, since there are already chrome accents around the headlights and such.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm actually hoping that I will be able to get aftermarket or Pontiac upgrade grills. I would like something like a chrome wire mesh or finely perferated sheet metal. Until then, the grey plastic is ok with me. I might try taping off the outside edge and painting the center satin black, so it would have a black with silver rim effect.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm hoping Pontiac makes replacement grills like the GTO has offered. Maybe not like those exactly, but at least some sort of choice.

·
Registered
446 Posts
brentil said:
I'm hoping Pontiac makes replacement grills like the GTO has offered. Maybe not like those exactly, but at least some sort of choice.
I was thinking the same thing...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I kind of like the contrasting bright grill on the darker colors. If you put a dark or body colored grill it might make the openings look like gaping holes.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SlySol said:
I actually love the honeycomb design ... just don't like the color choice.
You can probably have it removed easily then you can have whatever color scheme you want applied to it.

Looking at the GTO grills again I kinda like them. I've attached some images for those who have never seen them before. The first is the normal car, the next two are the addon grills.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
MUCH better! I hope for sure they do that with the Sol. I like the look of the 'polished lip, recessed face' that they have, like a deep-dish grille.

I was halfway planning on modifying mine when I got it I was gonna leave the outer rim and then sand down the rest of the honeycomb a good mm or two, then tape off the 'lip' that I left and spray the center flat (or gloss) black.

kinda like this:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
dori-san said:
MUCH better! I hope for sure they do that with the Sol. I like the look of the 'polished lip, recessed face' that they have, like a deep-dish grille.

I was halfway planning on modifying mine when I got it I was gonna leave the outer rim and then sand down the rest of the honeycomb a good mm or two, then tape off the 'lip' that I left and spray the center flat (or gloss) black.

kinda like this:

Black still looks like to holes cut in the sheet metal.

·
5,600 Posts
Brentil,

I don't know why but those flush-mounted stock GTO grilles just look like huge speaker covers to me! I like the inset grilles far better.

·
5,600 Posts
dori-san said:
kinda like this:

That looks great! The stock grille looks cheap to me, and I can't explain why. Your grille looks much better. I would still vastly prefer an inset grille like the GTOs if clearance allows. But if nothing else comes up better, I am going to steal your idea. Thanks! :thumbs:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks good....I wonder how'd it look if it were all chrome, like two shiny capped teeth coming at you. :devil:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
photog321 said:
Looks good....I wonder how'd it look if it were all chrome, like two shiny capped teeth coming at you. :devil:
Chrome? No gold caps for your Mysterious Solstice? Afraid it might provoke some racial confrontations or something? :lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Grill

I will be adding stripes to mine, so the grill will be blacked out. Thinking of using those decals first, that way if I grow tired of it I can remove it easier than repainting the car.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For me, the contrast is awesome! I wouldn't have it ANY other way!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
your avatar is actually where I got the idea to do the picture I did.

I saw it and I was like; "WOW! that thing looks sweet! Of course it doesn't come in a blue like that, but there's still something about it that looks better than all the rest of the pictures I've seen.. what could it be? OH! The grilles are black with a silver rim, AWESOME! I wanna do that to my car!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts