Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have good real-world photos of the available colors of this car? Not being able to see the car in person makes it difficult to get an idea of what it will look like "color-wise" and the Pontiac site is not great with the color pics. Forget about getting any sort of help from the local dealer.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Sadly, you really need to see the coloors in real life to appreciate the nuances of each. Even photos don't do them justice as a photo will be the interpretation of the camera's settings under the specific lighting conditions taken. I'll try to break them down for you...

Black is your basic black. It is not too deep looking but it is a nice black.

White seems to have more of a graysh cast, as opposed to some whites I've seen which have a bluish or pinkish cast. I prefer whites with a bit of a bluish cast over grayish cast. If you prefer the grayish whites, then this is your white.

Red is a darkish red under most lighting circumstances. It does brighten up nicely to more of a tomato red when the sun strikes directly against the paint. But get the sun overhead, or from behind or if you are in the shade, it gets to be quite a darkish medium red.

Blue is so dark that unless struck by direct sunlight it appears to be black. Often it appears black with silvery-blue highlights where the sun is glinting off the body's angles, even when the sun is directly overhead. in person, the blue looked to be getting just as dusty as the black cars.

Green is a bit lighter than the blue. It too looks black in the shade, but it lightens up a bit in any sunlight and does not appear to be black like the blule does.

The metallic gray is your standard dark gray metallic. I guess these paints vary but they seem about the same to me.

The silver is a VERY nice silver. It is not your BMW silver - not a plain silver. It is not the silver of the dull side of aluminum foil as are most silvers. It is a very rich tannish silver that is very eye-catching and rich looking in any lighting cirumstances. That richness goes away in the shade, but get it into any sun at all, and that sweet rich tan glow seems to caress the silver body all over.

FWIW, I prefer the red.

All this is my way of saying, good look with your color choice as you really need to see them in person. Or eminiate the colors you can't stomach and go with your gut on the others. This forum has ton's of pictures in just about every color but green, I think. There are even some great pictures of a white car on a dealership floor that had me just drooling (until I saw a white car in person, and it didn't really do it for me.)

Good luck. The best thing is, the Solstice looks good in EVERY color, sor you can't hardly go wrong.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Gizmo,

Thanks for the compliments...this car is the most fun purchase I have ever made...I've owned Lexus and BMW products and my ownership experience with the Sol has been far more fun and exciting then those cars!

·
Registered
111 Posts
White Looks Big

jimbo said:
White seems to have more of a graysh cast, as opposed to some whites I've seen which have a bluish or pinkish cast. I prefer whites with a bit of a bluish cast over grayish cast. If you prefer the grayish whites, then this is your white.
I saw a Pure for the first time in person last night at the dealer and it really looked "bigger" than the other cars I have seen - an Aggressive and a Mysterious. The white seemed longer and wider. Just an illusion of course, but the dealer mentioned it also before I had said anything to him.

One thing about the white I noticed though, was that you could see every swirl and slight scratch in the paint clearly.

Mine (hopefully here in a week or less) is an Aggressive, which I love, but the white was nice.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Jimbo - Great discriptions

AFSOC 1st SGT: Thanks for your impression. I've ordered White, but I have seen the red and I was VERY tempted to change color, but I figured that would mess up my spot in line! You will NOT be disappointed with your Red. It is awesome.

I thought it was interesting about the scratches and swirls.... usually a strong point for white is that it hids a lot of stuff. Black, in my experience, is very bad about showing swirls and stuff.

IMHO, not much looks better than a nice shiny black car, but not much looks worse than a dirty,dusty black car. I just don't have the time to keep a car spotless and the solstice will be my daily driver. I'm glad you had a positive impression about the white. We'll see. I have not seen any really good pictures of white. There are only a couple in the gallery.

Andrew - Good luck deciding.... If I were ordering again, I would go Red/Sand/chrome wheels.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
andrew g said:
Does anyone have good real-world photos of the available colors of this car? Not being able to see the car in person makes it difficult to get an idea of what it will look like "color-wise" and the Pontiac site is not great with the color pics. Forget about getting any sort of help from the local dealer.
My photos of Pure.

My photos of Agressive.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Jimbo, thank you for your piece on colors. That certainly took a great deal of thought and was well written. (That post should be pinned).
Thank you as well "Gizmo2004" for all your insight as well as others who answered my thread.
You guys are awesome. It will be nice to join you in the adventures of Solstice ownership. Can't wait until mine arrives. (Haven't been this excited about a car since I got my first sports car back in college. That was a Pontiac as well). Must be destiny.

Andrew

PS - Dori-san, Great pics.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
dori-san said:
My photos of Pure.

My photos of Agressive.
Thanks Dori-san.... I don't know about funnies, but you I'll nominate you for the most thorough picture taker :cheers: THANKS Great Pure Pics!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
andrew g said:
Jimbo, thank you for your piece on colors. That certainly took a great deal of thought and was well written. (That post should be pinned).
Thank you as well "Gizmo2004" for all your insight as well as others who answered my thread.
You guys are awesome. It will be nice to join you in the adventures of Solstice ownership. Can't wait until mine arrives. (Haven't been this excited about a car since I got my first sports car back in college. That was a Pontiac as well). Must be destiny.

Andrew

PS - Dori-san, Great pics.
:confused: SO... Don't leave us in suspense. What are you leaning towards. You got 6 months to change your mind, so there is no pressure right now ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Or...you could always get a custom paint job. I'd like to see some type of bright yellow, or bright blue. With all the curves I would think a candy or pearl would enhance the design even more.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Um, I will have to go the other way on this one.
I was finally able to see a Pure up close and personal. My current ride is white. GM calls it Arctic White. But next to the Sol, it's dingy. The Sol is very white compared to mine.

Another comment about the Pure and seeing scratches easier. Again, no. If anything, the white is the easiest to hide imperfections. Not an opinion but trial by fire testing. Over the last 10 years I have owned all white cars, all firebirds too. But I digress.
My wife has always had black machines. The proof is in the pudding right? Which one do you think showed 'everything'?
C'mon....you know the answer! :)
Black.
Look around at the world of cars. Which colors show the best? Dark ones.
Which ones hide the damage? Light ones.

Off my soap box now. :leaving:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Super Pics

Dori-San,

Man, those are some awesome pics. Just reloaded my screensaver slide show with them.

Domo-arigato Dori-san!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
KYSol said:
:confused: SO... Don't leave us in suspense. What are you leaning towards. You got 6 months to change your mind, so there is no pressure right now ;)

Right now I'm leaning towards "Deep", I hope it's dark enough as described by Jimbo. Anything lighter would be tacky. If so, then I'm going with "Sly".

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
andrew g said:
Right now I'm leaning towards "Deep", I hope it's dark enough as described by Jimbo. Anything lighter would be tacky. If so, then I'm going with "Sly".

Thanks guys.
andrew, I finally got back to my archives and here is what I think you are looking for, to see a full sized car in the colors of Solstice. Attached is my post in March on the paint codes and what other vehicles use exact same paint. Cruise the lots this weekend.http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21558&postcount=18

1 - 20 of 23 Posts