Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS product made me buy North American, and THIS product may make me go back...

Not sure what folks think of this, but here goes: I have owned only one North American car - a Ford Probe GT. It was without a doubt the most problematic vehicle ever, a veritable money pit. Anyway, I swore off North american product, and bought imports from then on, and I have to tell you, my experience has been largely positive. Did I have a lemon with the Probe? Maybe. Nevertheless, I was so dissapointed and dissillusioned, I swore no more North American...

Then the Solstice came on the scene. And I broke my vow inside of minutes and went down and ordered one. Now, two months later and none the wiser as to when I might see this vehicle, I am again thinking of staying away from North American. It just seems to be a frustrating experience every time...

It seems to me that the overseas folks are doing something that the North American giants cannot. (insert gentle rave emoticon here) :brentil:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I owned two Ford Probes. You realize, your Probe was mostly a Mazda/Japanese engineered affair with the styling done by Ford, right? Yeah, it was assembled in North America (by Auto Alliance International), but most likely used Mazda engines and transmissions, depending on model.

I had some problems with the dealer with my Probes, and the transmission (which was Ford built and has been problematic in all applications) was a piece of garbage. Otherwise, both cars were bullitproof, but I know others who had problem Probes too.

The hybrid origin of the car might have been part of the reason for some of its problems. I wouldn't make GM/Pontiac pay for the shortcomings of a car from a completely different automaker (well, two different automakers). :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know is was basically a Mazda, but I still count it as a North American build. Interesting you should hit on the transmission. I had to replace mine twice... And don't get me started on the automatic fuel pump shut off....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Danno said:
Not sure what folks think of this, but here goes: I have owned only one North American car - a Ford Probe GT. It was without a doubt the most problematic vehicle ever, a veritable money pit. Anyway, I swore off North american product, and bought imports from then on, and I have to tell you, my experience has been largely positive. Did I have a lemon with the Probe? Maybe. Nevertheless, I was so dissapointed and dissillusioned, I swore no more North American...

Then the Solstice came on the scene. And I broke my vow inside of minutes and went down and ordered one. Now, two months later and none the wiser as to when I might see this vehicle, I am again thinking of staying away from North American. It just seems to be a frustrating experience every time...

It seems to me that the overseas folks are doing something that the North American giants cannot. (insert gentle rave emoticon here) :brentil:
I agree on everything but the change...check the signature...I am going to wait it out...Its worth it... :seeya:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Danno said:
Yes, I know is was basically a Mazda, but I still count it as a North American build. Interesting you should hit on the transmission. I had to replace mine twice... And don't get me started on the automatic fuel pump shut off....
Was it by chance a 4 cylinder with automatic, 94-97 model year? Those cars, with the CD4E 4 speed auto were the worst! I had a 97. First transmission died at only 11,000 miles. Second was about toast at 41,000 and of course just past warranty. I promptly traded it in on my current daily driver, a Jeep Wrangler, which has been problem free except for the aluminum rims that corroded under their clearcoat finish. But the warranty is up on that next month, so I am bracing myself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
Sounds like another another example all of the North American manufacturers taking the rap for one bad experience. Keep in mind that the North American car manufacturers have come a long way in improving their quality to catch up to their imported competition since the time when you bought your Probe from Ford.

I've always bought GM, not Ford, but I've never really had any problems with any of my cars. (Of course I went from a '74 Nova to a '91 Beretta, totally passing over the '80's, which were some of the worst years for the American Automakers.)

If you are saying that GM is providing poor service because our Solstices aren't being delivered yet, keep in mind that the GM party line and the Apprentice promotion have always said that cars would be delivered by October.

Most of the rumors of earlier deliveries were really based mostly on forum members' wishful thinking, not on any actual knowledge or official statements from GM. Anyone ordering a Solstice based on the Apprentice promotion should be happy with an October delivery, because that is the date that the EOP rules stated.

As far as the Canadian orders, I'm not sure what the official word from GM Canada was, but I don't think they made any official promises of delivery dates.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Actually, GM did say the Solstice it would be available during the summer of 2005 for a few months. I believe the posters say Summer 2005 on them, and the marketing letter that came with my poster also stated summer 2005.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
CanSol

I've had lots of foreign (Honda's, Mercedes, Toyotas, etc) and I have had as much, if not more trouble with them.
I have owned a Dodge Caravan for the last 11 years and a dodge intrepid for 9 yrs. No transmission problems and only minor fixex (water pump and starter on both).
Ill hang on til the Solstice comes.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Danno said:
I was a 94 model, v6 auto. Can't go on.... Starting to well up...
Oh, ok. Well, you had the Mazda crappy auto (4EAT). Actually, it was a lot better than the 4 cyl CD4E's. I had the 4EAT in my 91 Probe. They were still trouble prone, but not nearly as much as the CD4E was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dengel said:
As far as the Canadian orders, I'm not sure what the official word from GM Canada was, but I don't think they made any official promises of delivery dates.
The Canadian Pontiac site at GM claimed "Arriving summer 2005"... but in retrospect, maybe they meant the real solstice, not the car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
I've owned vehicles from North American (built by and owned by NA Companies), Japanese vehicles built in either Japan or NA, and vehicles built in Europe. Generally, I feel that, with proper maintenance, all vehicles I've owned have been somewhat equal. Sure, sometimes you might get one that gives you problems, owned a probe with a bad tranny too, so you fix it and get rid of it. I don't condemn any manufacturer for one problem model.

I do try to buy a vehicle that can be repaired in my local town. One of the reasons that I looked at and am buying the Solstice is that we have a Pontiac dealer in the nearest town (15 miles from my house.). The nearest Japanese dealership is over 50 miles from the house. I feel that the NA companies have invested in small communities and we should support them whenever possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Danno said:
The Canadian Pontiac site at GM claimed "Arriving summer 2005"... but in retrospect, maybe they meant the real solstice, not the car...

Summer 2005 is anywhere from June 21st to September 20th. They might make it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Actually, GM did say the Solstice it would be available during the summer of 2005 for a few months. I believe the posters say Summer 2005 on them, and the marketing letter that came with my poster also stated summer 2005.
Yeah, that's the only complaint I had about the advertising. They never should have changed the marketing to say summer (I noticed the change from fall to summer around February of this year, which is what led me to find this forum and start ramping up my plans to buy a Solstice).

But when I went to a dealership, they did not in any way commit to a delivery date, and when I signed up for the EOP, all the paper work said "no later than October..." While I would have been ecstatic to 1: get into the EOP and 2: get delivery of my Solstice this summer, I'm trying not to complain too much that I'll probably get my car for Christmas rather than 4th of July. Any hopes of eary delivery were based on my own hopes and dreams, not really anything Pontiac said, other than a blurb on a webpage reading "Summer 2005".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Danno said:
Not sure what folks think of this, but here goes: I have owned only one North American car - a Ford Probe GT. It was without a doubt the most problematic vehicle ever, a veritable money pit. Anyway, I swore off North american product, and bought imports from then on, and I have to tell you, my experience has been largely positive. Did I have a lemon with the Probe? Maybe. Nevertheless, I was so dissapointed and dissillusioned, I swore no more North American...

Then the Solstice came on the scene. And I broke my vow inside of minutes and went down and ordered one. Now, two months later and none the wiser as to when I might see this vehicle, I am again thinking of staying away from North American. It just seems to be a frustrating experience every time...

It seems to me that the overseas folks are doing something that the North American giants cannot. (insert gentle rave emoticon here) :brentil:

So, if you swore of North American built cars that would eliminate many Toyotas too as I believe many of them are built here too. Something else that is significant to note is that GM has recently been rated as the second most reliable manufacturer. Toyota was rated 1st and I seem to remember from somewhere that Lexus (part of Toyota) really lead the way for Toyota, so if you are not going to get a Lexus the quality of Toyota may not be as high as GM (don't quote me on that). You can read one article on it here:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/Autos/quality_study/

If you choose to not get the Sol I would understand, because this wait is driving me crazy. On the other hand I know that if I get another car I am going to be so dissapointed whenever I see the Sol driving by. In my book it is worth the wait for the car. Remember that they are delaying the production to give you a better car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SolsticeDesire said:
So, if you swore of North American built cars that would eliminate many Toyotas too as I believe many of them are built here too. Something else that is significant to note is that GM has recently been rated as the second most reliable manufacturer. Toyota was rated 1st and I seem to remember from somewhere that Lexus (part of Toyota) really lead the way for Toyota, so if you are not going to get a Lexus the quality of Toyota may not be as high as GM (don't quote me on that). You can read one article on it here:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/18/Autos/quality_study/

If you choose to not get the Sol I would understand, because this wait is driving me crazy. On the other hand I know that if I get another car I am going to be so dissapointed whenever I see the Sol driving by. In my book it is worth the wait for the car. Remember that they are delaying the production to give you a better car.
Maybe I'm just crying in my corn fakes here... For the Love of God, can't a grown man cry in public anymore!?! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I know that it has been mentioned that there was an article in the July 2005 issue of Motor Trend which mentioned about the increase in HP, but it also says "that Pontiac has pushed back the first drives 2 months to late June. It basically said that Lori Queen wasn't happy with the quality of the interior and ordered last minute revisions". It also went on to say that GM definitely wants to get this car right. The cars have been running down the assembly line, been built, and sent backward down the line, disassembled and then built again to fine tune the process. It sounds to me that quality is definitely on their minds and I applaud them for this. I would rather it be late with a great quality car than early with a piece of crap, because their's always next spring, summer, and fall.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
spyderone said:
I know that it has been mentioned that there was an article in the July 2005 issue of Motor Trend which mentioned about the increase in HP, but it also says "that Pontiac has pushed back the first drives 2 months to late June. It basically said that Lori Queen wasn't happy with the quality of the interior and ordered last minute revisions". It also went on to say that GM definitely wants to get this car right. The cars have been running down the assembly line, been built, and sent backward down the line, disassembled and then built again to fine tune the process. It sounds to me that quality is definitely on their minds and I applaud them for this. I would rather it be late with a great quality car than early with a piece of crap, because their's always next spring, summer, and fall.
Bravo :agree:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
So to reiterate, you're willing to wait, though delivery's late, so as long as it's GREAT
 
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top