Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Comparing to other GXP's

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  MSG_McKee 
#1 ·
I hosted a detail seminar at my shop over the weekend, had the opportunity to see other GXP's, none turbo models, and some sky's. One thing I was concerned about is the drivers seat, how the leather is loose on the bottom section where you sit. all of the other cars I saw had the same issue. I guess I'm being too anal about it, I only see this occur on cars a few years old. just for the sake of curiosity I'm going to have an interior shop look at it and get a professional opinion. also compared the wrinkle in the tops, most of them had it, some worse than others, and I heard the ticking with the GXP's also. today I pick up my cover, got my shortie antenna already. I promised my wife not to go nutz with mods on this car, been there, done that. check this out..........I just read part of my owners manual and this is a quote from page 322. "NOTICE; using petroleum based tire dressing products on your vehicle may damage the paint finish and /or tires" I have been saying this for years, now GM is saying the same thing, only use water based dressing, much more versitle and SAFE on all rubber/molded plastic and vinyl. to purchase I hope you know where to go by now. Gary:cool:

#2 ·
The "seat sag" is universal. Ditto the top wrinkles. And all the GXP/Redlines "tick". The fuel injection system operates at about 3000psi :eek: and you are hearing the concussion from the injector operating! NTW. Good tip on the tire dressing - thanks.

#3 ·
tire dressing

The reason GM recommends not using petrolium based dressing is that on certain colors,namely white,the dressing may stain the paint. If you wipe the tires after you dress them you will not have this problem. Water based dressing is fine until the tires get wet.then bye bye dressing...
phil
pro-care auto

#10 ·
Mine (top) has been "shifting" from the drivers side to the passenger's side and the Montgomery guys thought I needed new seals. I went to lower my top after a BK stop in Columbus and the top was stuck half way. I know not to force anything and inspected the inside closer. I noticed that I have a loose bolt and a couple of parts look "out of shape." I guess that the some of the 2 weeks I have off during Christmas will be spent at the dealer getting my top fixed.

#11 ·
You know what irritates me though. I HAVE seen one or two solstices with NO wrinkles in the top, and it looks much better. But what are you supposed to do, tell the dealership you want a new top without wrinkles.

#16 ·
"I could go on and on ... I think that is is okay to point out the minor flaws and it is good to share information on fixes for these flaws. JMHO"

I'm just giving you a hard time. I agree there is so much good info on this site!

For the record, I took delivery on about the 7th of Nov, and have so far driven it twice with the top up. OK, so I am spoiled living here in the land of sunshine and nice beaches, but it does get pretty cold in the early mornings on the way to work... this morning there was frost on some of the lawns... but it did warm up nicely into the low 70's. I drive it daily, but when there is any (greater than 0%) chance of rain Finn stays in the garage and I drive my pickup.

I am lucky...

#17 ·
but it did warm up nicely into the low 70's.
If I lived 30 minutes south of here I could do the top down thing damn near everyday but nope the high desert is a bit too cool to do that in the winter especially with the wind. There should be a couple of weeks in Jan where I can get some great top down weather (weather is weird here what can I say) and then I wait till late March/April.

#19 ·
Those velcro strips don't do a thing to correct the wrinkles, at least not on my car. I'm going to try the foam thing soon as I have a chance to pick some up. My next beef is the "sag seat" in the leather where your butt sits. they could of put more padding there I think, most Sols and Skys I have seen all have the problem. gary

#20 ·
Inject that house foam under the cushion...then sit down really quick. You'll have a custome seat that only sags where where you do! LOL

#22 ·
rag top / leather seats

I personally am not concerned with wrinkles in a "rag top" The looseness in my leather seats however is a sign of poor workmanship. We have all seen leather interiors in many cars, this losseness in the quality of the leather concerns me.

CPUG
GXP Deep, loaded, chrome wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.