Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have to excuse my ignorance as I just got this car and I have no owners manual. I figured out how to turn off the traction control pretty easily, but the other day I hit the button twice and my message center came up with competitive mode. I was like WTF is that? Can someone explain to me what it is and what is the difference between that, and having the just the traction control turned off? And how does our traction control work? My other car cuts fuel when you spin the tires which is really a stupid way to do it IMO.

Thanks guys for putting up with my stupid questions.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do a quick search. Basically, somewhere between full on and full off on the traction and electronic stability control. Lots of information on this board including the "hidden mystery" ESC OFF mode ;)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
If you'd like, you can go to:

Dashboard

create an account, and you can review your service records, download an owner's manual, and a couple of other things.

·
Registered
848 Posts
from the '09 GXP manual:

Competitive Driving Mode
The driver can select this optional handling mode by
pressing the ESC/TCS button on the console two times
quickly. COMPETITIVE MODE displays in the DIC. See
DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-37 for more
information. Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver
to have full control of the rear wheels while the ESC
system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by
selective brake application. The ESC/TCS light will be on
and the traction control system will not be operating.
Adjust your driving accordingly. This electronic stability
control mode is recommended only for use during closed
track events and competitive driving venues.
When the ESC/TCS button is pressed again, or the
vehicle is restarted, the ESC and TCS turn back on.
Notice: When traction control is turned off, or
Competitive Driving Mode is active, it is possible to
lose traction. If you attempt to shift with the drive
wheels spinning with a loss of traction, it is possible
to cause damage to the transmission. Do not
attempt to shift when the drive wheels do not have
traction. Damage caused by misuse of the vehicle
is not covered. See the warranty book for additional
information.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks guys. Sorry, can't search from my i-phone for some reason. I have some other really stupid qusetions and I will just post them up here instead of starting a bunch of threads.

I pulled the cover off of my engine and there was this cardboard type material over the motor. Is this necessary? Is it some kind of heat shield or is it there to keep stuff from chaffing against the plastic cover? And do any of you guys just take the plastic engine cover off? Do we need it to help with heating the hood? I just never liked engine covers much. Maybe if I painted it. Any of you guys paint your engine cover, post up som pics?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Sound absorber.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Awesome, thanks guys. Sorry, can't search from my i-phone for some reason. I have some other really stupid qusetions and I will just post them up here instead of starting a bunch of threads.

I pulled the cover off of my engine and there was this cardboard type material over the motor. Is this necessary? Is it some kind of heat shield or is it there to keep stuff from chaffing against the plastic cover? And do any of you guys just take the plastic engine cover off? Do we need it to help with heating the hood? I just never liked engine covers much. Maybe if I painted it. Any of you guys paint your engine cover, post up som pics?
Dude. Please start reading the forum and search for the topics in which you have interest - actually, better to use google and search ("solstice" <your topic here>"). I'm sure that's available from your iphone - if not use your desktop PC.

I understand you are new to this car and have many questions, but most if not all of these have been asked and answered here before - often many times. If you search and fail to find anything, by all means ask here and we'll do our best to answer - but at least do your 'due diligence' first.

Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=solstice+painted+engine+cover

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sound absorber.
Thank you.

Dude. Please start reading the forum and search for the topics in which you have interest - actually, better to use google and search ("solstice" <your topic here>"). I'm sure that's available from your iphone - if not use your desktop PC.

I understand you are new to this car and have many questions, but most if not all of these have been asked and answered here before - often many times. If you search and fail to find anything, by all means ask here and we'll do our best to answer - but at least do your 'due diligence' first.

Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=solstice+painted+engine+cover

Dude, how do you know I'm a dude? Just curious on why you made that assumption. How do you know I'm not a big busted red headed dancer/cocktail waitress at Vegas' best strip club? I don't use my work computer for social media so I use my phone when I'm on break. I spend a lot of time at work and not much at home. I get on my desktop about twice a week. So who are you to tell me how I should log on to this forum? And I'm not trying to come across as an ass, because you've already done that, but I'm just trying to be social. If you would rather me bring up an ancient thread, I could do that instead. But someone, I won't mention any names, would probably give me **** for that too. If you think I'm wasting your time, you don't have to reply, or even read, any of my posts. I'm sure there are plenty of members here who won't get bent out of shape and actually post up a reply that will help me out. If you think I'm wasting space on the forum, or too many bytes on the server wih my BS, I'm sure there is plenty of room. Besides, my few posts, and probably plenty more to come, are good for the forum. It shows interest and activity which is important for bringing in advertising dollars, sponsors, and paying vendors. Without dumbasses like me posting up stupid stuff you wouldn't have much action at all seeing how everything about these cars, and everyone's questions have been answered already. That makes for a boring forum in my book.
BUT I will try to use the search or google more often. I usually do that anyways, but sometimes I just want to talk shop. I know that that is usually a guy thing, but I enjoy the interaction. Was even thinking about becoming a paying member here, but now I will reserve that decision for a later date and see what the atmosphere here is like around here.

Peace out and happy cruising'

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thank you.

Dude, how do you know I'm a dude? Just curious on why you made that assumption. How do you know I'm not a big busted red headed dancer/cocktail waitress at Vegas' best strip club? I don't use my work computer for social media so I use my phone when I'm on break. I spend a lot of time at work and not much at home. I get on my desktop about twice a week. So who are you to tell me how I should log on to this forum? And I'm not trying to come across as an ass, because you've already done that, but I'm just trying to be social. If you would rather me bring up an ancient thread, I could do that instead. But someone, I won't mention any names, would probably give me **** for that too. If you think I'm wasting your time, you don't have to reply, or even read, any of my posts. I'm sure there are plenty of members here who won't get bent out of shape and actually post up a reply that will help me out. If you think I'm wasting space on the forum, or too many bytes on the server wih my BS, I'm sure there is plenty of room. Besides, my few posts, and probably plenty more to come, are good for the forum. It shows interest and activity which is important for bringing in advertising dollars, sponsors, and paying vendors. Without dumbasses like me posting up stupid stuff you wouldn't have much action at all seeing how everything about these cars, and everyone's questions have been answered already. That makes for a boring forum in my book.
BUT I will try to use the search or google more often. I usually do that anyways, but sometimes I just want to talk shop. I know that that is usually a guy thing, but I enjoy the interaction. Was even thinking about becoming a paying member here, but now I will reserve that decision for a later date and see what the atmosphere here is like around here.

I agree 100%, dude or female dancer,(please be the dancer:yesnod:) people asking questions are what keep forums going, and the old cliche saying goes (no question is stupid). Questions get asked and people learn, like I just did about the cardboard like material, now when I go pull my cover I'll know what I am looking for. People who say"search is your friend" (and I think even I have regrettably said it once)should just back off and quite frankly shut up(like I should have) this could be one of the reasons why there is talk about forums dying and new members not staying, why would one stay after being belittled and scolded for asking a question?

·
Registered
433 Posts
You have to excuse my ignorance as I just got this car and I have no owners manual. I figured out how to turn off the traction control pretty easily, but the other day I hit the button twice and my message center came up with competitive mode. I was like WTF is that? Can someone explain to me what it is and what is the difference between that, and having the just the traction control turned off? And how does our traction control work? My other car cuts fuel when you spin the tires which is really a stupid way to do it IMO.

Thanks guys for putting up with my stupid questions.
https://my.gm.com/web/portal/managemybrand

Welcome to the forum and I hope you're enjoying your Solstice. The link I am attaching is a tool designed by GM for owners. You will have access to the manuals, dealership service history, applicable recalls, special coverages, and suggested maintenance schedules. Below is also the description of competitive mode from the owner's manual on page 202. If you have any concerns or questions about your Solstice, please PM us or have it looked at by a GM mechanic. I hope this information helps and that you're having a good week.

Competitive Driving Mode, Page 202
The driver can select this optional handling mode
by pressing the ESC/TCS button on the console
two times within a five second time period.
COMPETITIVE MODE will be displayed in the DIC.
See DIC Warnings and Messages on page 148 for
more information. Competitive Driving Mode allows
the driver to have full control of the rear wheels
while the ESC system helps maintain directional
control of the vehicle by selective brake application.
The ESC/TCS light will be on and the traction
control system will not be operating. Adjust your
driving accordingly. This electronic stability control
mode is recommended only for use during closed
track events and competitive driving venues.
When you press the ESC button again, or restart
the vehicle, the ESC

Traction Control Description from Page 198
Traction Control System (TCS)
Your vehicle may have a Traction Control System
(TCS) that limits wheel spin. This is especially
useful in slippery road conditions. The system
operates only if it senses that the rear wheels are
spinning too much or are beginning to lose
traction. When this happens, the system works the
rear brakes and reduces engine power by
closing the throttle and managing engine spark to
limit wheel spin.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree 100%, dude or female dancer,(please be the dancer:yesnod:) people asking questions are what keep forums going, and the old cliche saying goes (no question is stupid). Questions get asked and people learn, like I just did about the cardboard like material, now when I go pull my cover I'll know what I am looking for. People who say"search is your friend" (and I think even I have regrettably said it once)should just back off and quite frankly shut up(like I should have) this could be one of the reasons why there is talk about forums dying and new members not staying, why would one stay after being belittled and scolded for asking a question?
I see this point. Good clarity sir. I'm relatively new and have posted some "answers" or shown my work, and asked a few questions, and was treated well. Like more and more people nowadays I'm almost always on my iPhone and bought the AP to access this. That means things search and display differently like no Gallery (that I can find). So we have to consider that and the fact that, though useful, "Search", gets results that don't always line up with a question, provide many results, and sometimes opinions on the answers change. A searcher usually wants it pretty "fresh" with current users. Also there is a social aspect well mentioned in this previous post.

For you Veterans - You are in a unique position in that you are the keepers of knowledge and guides or historical curators to theses awesome cars. But more than that you spark the imagination and kindle the fires of Kappa Love! I know it can sometimes seem like a thankless job and may get tiring at times. You deserve great praise and don't always get it. But think about all the people you help to fall deeper in love with the Kappa. I bought my GXP over a Lotus (now also uncommon with no new Elises and no local dealers) for two reasons. 1) Price and 2) Support - The avid involvement and help of this community made me more comfortable buying a discontinued car.

So please hang in there!
I'll end with a quote of the last two lines of the Jaycee Creed:

That earth's great treasure lies in human personality;
And that service to humanity is the best work of life.

Thank you for all you do for us Veteran Kappa Guides!

Solo Dio.
GODROD

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I don't use my work computer for social media so I use my phone when I'm on break. I spend a lot of time at work and not much at home. I get on my desktop about twice a week. So who are you to tell me how I should log on to this forum? And I'm not trying to come across as an ass, because you've already done that,
I didn't "tell you how to log on" I simply suggested that you do (the some of) us who tend to try to answer all the questions that crop up the courtesy of at least trying to do some of the work yourself. Again, I did say that google (or bing/whatever) will throw search terms up on this forum, often far better than the forum search will. I'm sure your iPhone works with that.

As for being an Ass, I took the time to do the search FOR you in your original question. Then you start on a completely different, simple question to which I reacted. Sorry you took unkindly to it.

Well, that's a little backhanded, don't you think? So now you threaten us with taking your $$ and going home? Please.

If the forum has to "stay alive" by newbies not putting any effort into understanding their cars, but wanting to be spoon fed the answers to the same questions over and over, then let it die.

When I got my car, I read through the thousands of threads that existed at that time to see what knowledge was there and find out things I didn't know and many that I wouldn't think of even asking. Even now if I have an issue, I will do a thorough search (as far as I can) to see if the answer is out there. I guess it makes me an 'Ass' to expect the same courtesy from others. So be it.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
For you Veterans - You are in a unique position in that you are the keepers of knowledge and guides or historical curators to theses awesome cars. But more than that you spark the imagination and kindle the fires of Kappa Love! I know it can sometimes seem like a thankless job and may get tiring at times. You deserve great praise and don't always get it. [...]

So please hang in there!
It does often seem like a thankless job, GODROD. But thank you for the kind comments. I have no problem with answering the questions that I can from those who have at least put some effort into it themselves.

As they say "God helps those that help themselves" (not at all trying to imply that I'm God - extremely far from it!)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Don't let him fool you, TomatoSoup IS God. :bow::bow:

The problem with new members that don't bother to search is that often times there are well-stated and thoughtful answers to the questions you have - readily available in crusty old threads - or in threads that are "sticky-d" right on the main page. These are responses that some old veterans put a fair amount of thought and time into banging out.

So the veterans get cranky because they're tired of trying to come up with the same thoughtful responses to the same old questions time and again. Problem is we truly have forgotten more than a some will ever know about these cars - even though the answers are all right here. We've forgotten because we're no longer concerned about the things a new owner might want to know - and they'll never know because we're unwilling to dig up the answers FOR them.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, 07 Boss.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
I didn't "tell you how to log on" I simply suggested that you do (the some of) us who tend to try to answer all the questions that crop up the courtesy of at least trying to do some of the work yourself. Again, I did say that google (or bing/whatever) will throw search terms up on this forum, often far better than the forum search will. I'm sure your iPhone works with that.

As for being an Ass, I took the time to do the search FOR you in your original question. Then you start on a completely different, simple question to which I reacted. Sorry you took unkindly to it.

Well, that's a little backhanded, don't you think? So now you threaten us with taking your $$ and going home? Please.

If the forum has to "stay alive" by newbies not putting any effort into understanding their cars, but wanting to be spoon fed the answers to the same questions over and over, then let it die.

When I got my car, I read through the thousands of threads that existed at that time to see what knowledge was there and find out things I didn't know and many that I wouldn't think of even asking. Even now if I have an issue, I will do a thorough search (as far as I can) to see if the answer is out there. I guess it makes me an 'Ass' to expect the same courtesy from others. So be it.
Thanks, TS, for taking the time to describe how many of us old-timers feel about others that don't bother to at least try and find some answers before shotgunning us with questions.

If a newbie or short-timer asks questions without any indication that they have tried to find an answer, I have a tendency to just skip over the question and not bother to answer, figuring that someone else will take the time to answer.

There are a lot of people out there whose search skills are limited and the basic search on the forums is also somewhat rudimentary. Without learning how to use google on the forum, it is quite difficult at times to find anything.

'nuf said. Time to move on to another question somewhere else. ;):brentil::willy:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe Ass was not a good word to use and for that I will apologize, but it was all I could come up with. It just felt like you were talking to me like an 11-yr old in pigtails. I do do a lot of reading my searches and looking through the gallery. And I will usually read up really carefully on tech stuff before posting up questions but sometimes stuff just pops into my head as I'm typing and I just ask what's on my mind. I searched engine covers and read a few old threads. Nowhere did I see mention of the sound deadening stuff under the cover and as far as painted covers only saw a couple of pics. It's all just about going through the motions. I mean how many threads is one supposed to read before posting up a question? I read about 5-10 looking for answers and then go to posting. Is that due diligence? IMO it is. It's not my first forum. I tend to be pretty active and contribute when I can and understand that answering all the newbs questions can be tiresome. I don't know how many times I've answered what the proper wheel offset is for a 10" rim or will this exhaust be too loud. And if I don't feel like answering again I just ignore it. But it is the "talking shop" part of the forum experience that I like so I tend to be a bit more chatty and yes, converse about things that I have talked about over and over. Again, name calling was my bad, just seemed like you went out of the way to berate me about using the search and I took offense. Again something we shouldn't really do over the internet because it is so hard to determine intent with just words on a screen.
And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the knowledge anyone, especially senior members, have to share. I'm like a sponge with the attitude of always something to learn. That is why I am so inquisitive and tend to ask a lot of questions. I try and stir up conversation on topics that maybe aren't that interesting to you because it's been gone over so many times, but is important to me. Just look at the action this thread has had since I stirred the pot a little bit. More responses in the last 12 hours then I got in the last 2 days, nice.
And I don't think that my comment about the paid membership as a snide backhanded comment. Or if it can even be considered a threat to anyone, was just voicing my feelings.

Anyways, let's play nice before someone gets their eye poked out or something.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts