Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complaint,
Not with the car, it looks cool. With the name. Solstice is a Pagan holiday celebrated twice a year once during the summer, once in during winter. During the summer its a celebration when the day has reached its longest point, and the night has reached it shortest point and the harvest is on its way. In the winter it celebrates when the night has reached its longest point, and day its shortest point and spring is on its way. On average it celebrated around June 25th and Dec. 23rd. What is known as Christmas is celebrated at that time to stamp out the Pagan holiday. In fact most of the customs of Christmas were stolen from Winter Solstice, decorating a tree, the giving of presents, decorateing your house, even Holly and Mistletoe.

Why not name it the Pontiac Christmas, or The Kwanza, or The Hanukkah, or any of the other holiday celebrated by any of the "accepted" religions?

Thank you.
Michael

P.s. I still think the car looks nice.
 

·
LOST SOL
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
driver789 said:
I have a complaint,
Not with the car, it looks cool. With the name. Solstice is a Pagan holiday celebrated twice a year once during the summer, once in during winter. During the summer its a celebration when the day has reached its longest point, and the night has reached it shortest point and the harvest is on its way. In the winter it celebrates when the night has reached its longest point, and day its shortest point and spring is on its way. On average it celebrated around June 25th and Dec. 23rd. What is known as Christmas is celebrated at that time to stamp out the Pagan holiday. In fact most of the customs of Christmas were stolen from Winter Solstice, decorating a tree, the giving of presents, decorateing your house, even Holly and Mistletoe.

Why not name it the Pontiac Christmas, or The Kwanza, or The Hanukkah, or any of the other holiday celebrated by any of the "accepted" religions?

Thank you.
Michael

P.s. I still think the car looks nice.
and your point is .... :confused: notice the ;) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
sol·stice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (slsts, sl-, sôl-)
n.
1. Either of two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator. The summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere occurs about June 21, when the sun is in the zenith at the tropic of Cancer; the winter solstice occurs about December 21, when the sun is over the tropic of Capricorn. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year and the winter solstice is the shortest.

2. A highest point or culmination.

Buy a dictionary. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
driver789 said:
I have a complaint,

Why not name it the Pontiac Christmas, or The Kwanza, or The Hanukkah, or any of the other holiday celebrated by any of the "accepted" religions?
Why not call it the Equinox, since most of us will do most of our driving of the car between the equinoxes? Or maybe the Intraequinox? Transequinox?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
Jack said:
Why not call it the Equinox, since most of us will do most of our driving of the car between the equinoxes? Or maybe the Intraequinox? Transequinox?
Uh, I think that name is already taken. The Chevy Equinox? A totally different animal! :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
The term Solstice existed prior to it being used as a pagan holiday. It stems from Latin solstitium, from sol sun + -stit-, -stes standing; akin to Latin stare to stand. It was a scientific term to describe the particular phenominum of the longest day of the year. Pagans just happen to use that day as a particular holiday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
driver789 said:
I have a complaint,
Not with the car, it looks cool. With the name. Solstice is a Pagan holiday celebrated twice a year once during the summer, once in during winter. During the summer its a celebration when the day has reached its longest point, and the night has reached it shortest point and the harvest is on its way. In the winter it celebrates when the night has reached its longest point, and day its shortest point and spring is on its way. On average it celebrated around June 25th and Dec. 23rd. What is known as Christmas is celebrated at that time to stamp out the Pagan holiday. In fact most of the customs of Christmas were stolen from Winter Solstice, decorating a tree, the giving of presents, decorateing your house, even Holly and Mistletoe.

Why not name it the Pontiac Christmas, or The Kwanza, or The Hanukkah, or any of the other holiday celebrated by any of the "accepted" religions?

Thank you.
Michael

P.s. I still think the car looks nice.

if you name it Hunukkah--that means it will be Happy Hunukkak when I get mine!!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
"Solstice"?

I agree with MSG McKee, "and your point is"?

When you thing of some of the other names on cars, Solstice sounds pretty nice. Acura (accurate), Solara (solar flare), Lesabre (the sword), Caravan (arab camel train), Toureg (?), Golf (golf), and on and on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
How about GMC's love for geography

Yukon = Mountain Range
Denali = Mountain
Sierra = Mountain range
Canyon = Canyon
Envoy = Messenger...... ok so that one does not quite match


I personally love the names given to the newer vehicles. :thumbs:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
driver789 said:
I have a complaint,
Not with the car, it looks cool. With the name.
I do too. Instead of Solstice, they should have gone back to their roots and called it the "Fiero". ;) (Which means "proud" in Italian, not plastic bodies fire bomb). :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
and your point is .... :confused: notice the ;) :lol:
His point is obvious. Anyone who buys a Solstice is selling their soul. GM has made a pact with the Devil to get the company out of the red. Do any of you actually believe a car can have such an effect on people without some Satanic interference? Do you think the new Pope starting Exorcism classes for priests at the exact time of the Solstice launch is a coincidence? I think not. Beware friends and neighbors. I do believe the Solstice may have been born in the very depths of Mount Doom itself and that the Delaware plant is indeed the gate to Mordor!!!!!!! Save us Mr. Frodo.

Now where is that sarcasm "smilie". :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Sydney said:
His point is obvious. Anyone who buys a Solstice is selling their soul. GM has made a pact with the Devil to get the company out of the red. Do any of you actually believe a car can have such an effect on people without some Satanic interference? Do you think the new Pope starting Exorcism classes for priests at the exact time of the Solstice launch is a coincidence? I think not. Beware friends and neighbors. I do believe the Solstice may have been born in the very depths of Mount Doom itself and that the Delaware plant is indeed the gate to Mordor!!!!!!! Save us Mr. Frodo.

Now where is that sarcasm "smilie". :lol:

RMAOFCMSTD!!!! :lol:

YOU ARE DAMNED!!!! YOU ALL WILL BURN IN THE PIRES OF HELL!!!!
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
driver789 said:
In fact most of the customs of Christmas were stolen from Winter Solstice, decorating a tree, the giving of presents, decorateing your house, even Holly and Mistletoe.
If the Christmas holidays were stolen from the winter solstice (others may say adopted), then wouldn't it make sense to call it "Solstice" after the original?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
We need Crimson Avenger on this thread !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
better than "la crosse" which is slang for auto-eroticism
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
simmonsmb said:
better than "la crosse" which is slang for auto-eroticism
:agree: :agree: Yeah, better than that! :glol:

I think it is better than having some alpha-numeric designation like "G6," "Z4" etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
brentil said:
The term Solstice existed prior to it being used as a pagan holiday. It stems from Latin solstitium, from sol sun + -stit-, -stes standing; akin to Latin stare to stand. It was a scientific term to describe the particular phenominum of the longest day of the year. Pagans just happen to use that day as a particular holiday.

All true, but the Romans were Pagan too. But obviously calling a car Christmas would be stupidly incensitive to other religious groups. And the mere fact that it was alledgedly celebrated by pagans (doesn't make it pagan) they also alledgedly worshipped mother earth and water etc. OOPS I guess that means you don't like SKY either.

We ought to have a rule on the forum, you can't post until you have read X number of other posts. And X should be somewhere between 50 and 100. IMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
bigjon said:
I agree with MSG McKee, "and your point is"?

When you thing of some of the other names on cars, Solstice sounds pretty nice. Acura (accurate), Solara (solar flare), Lesabre (the sword), Caravan (arab camel train), Toureg (?), Golf (golf), and on and on.

http://www.bartleby.com/65/tu/Tuareg.html

The Columbia Encyclopedia said:
Tuareg or Touareg (both: twä´rg) (KEY) , Berbers of the Sahara, numbering c.2 million. They have preserved their ancient alphabet, which is related to that used by ancient Libyans. The Tuaregs traditionally maintained a feudal system consisting of a small number of noble families, a large majority of vassals, and a lower class of black non-Tuareg serfs, who performed the agricultural tasks. The upper classes, organized in tribes, convoyed caravans and, until subdued by France, were feared as raiders. The fiercely independent Tuareg resented European hegemony in Africa, and they long resisted conquest. Tuareg men go veiled, while the women are unveiled. Women enjoy respect and freedom, and descent and inheritance are through the female line. Though nominally Muslim, the people still retain many pre-Islamic rites and customs. The traditional way of life for the Tuaregs (e.g., raiding neighboring tribes, leading caravans, and exacting taxes from trans-Sahara travelers) has changed. Since the 1970s droughts and famines have forced many Tuaregs from their desert homes into urban areas; many have become farmers. In the 1990s political tensions caused further relocation. Groups of Tuaregs have fought for autonomy from Niger and Mali, but cease-fires were signed in both nations in the mid-1990s.
See F. J. Rennell, People of the Veil (1926, repr. 1966); P. Fuchs, The Land of Veiled Men (tr. 1956).
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
We ought to have a rule on the forum, you can't post until you have read X number of other posts. And X should be somewhere between 50 and 100. IMHO
Good idea! We could have them read every post in the FAQ section, and then answer a detailed quiz to get posting rights! :devil: Hmmm… :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
I think this is just another case of some d*ck trying to push our collective buttons. Notice it's a first post ... and probably his/her last.
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top