Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was installing a Wolo Air horn which is a two wire unit, the same as the Solstice. Should have been a plug and play situation. I removed the attachment from the stock horn so I would not have to cut any wiring and I used the stock horn mount. Got it all in and went to do a test. Wow, it was loud, but in only blew once. After that, no power at all to the ENTIRE VEHICLE.....nothing. Its almost as if there isn't a battery in the car at all.

Has this been an issue with anyone else? If so, what was your solution. I replaced the stock horn so I can get it to the shop if I need to. I did a search on the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for.

09 GXP....4500 miles gmpp tune and cold air intake for reference.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Have you tried finding the horn fuse? That would be a start. You may have to replace the fuse, and wire the existing power wire to a relay which gets its power straight from the battery. Otherwise you may continue to blow the fuse every time you use your Wolo horn. The compressor in air horns use significantly more amps then the diaphragm style stock horn.

I was installing a Wolo Air horn which is a two wire unit, the same as the Solstice. Should have been a plug and play situation. I removed the attachment from the stock horn so I would not have to cut any wiring and I used the stock horn mount. Got it all in and went to do a test. Wow, it was loud, but in only blew once. After that, no power at all.....nothing. Its almost as if there isn't a battery in the car at all.

Has this been an issue with anyone else? If so, what was your solution. I replaced the stock horn so I can get it to the shop if I need to. I did a search on the forums and couldn't find what I was looking for.

09 GXP....4500 miles gmpp tune and cold air intake for reference.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would a blown horn fuse cause complete and total loss of electrical power to the entire car. My first thought was a blown fuse for the horn but its ok. I will be increasing the stock fuse to a 15 amp, once I have power, that is.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm not sure either. But I'd start with checking fuses in general. I hope you didn't short out your ECM.

How would a blown horn fuse cause complete and total loss of electrical power to the entire car. My first thought was a blown fuse for the horn but its ok. I will be increasing the stock fuse to a 15 amp, once I have power, that is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure either. But I'd start with checking fuses in general. I hope you didn't short out your ECM.
Didn't see any bad fuses at all. Battery terminals are tight, etc.

the horn was unplugged during installation and the wiring plugged right back in. NO modification to the wiring, etc. If the ecm shorted out, it wasn't the horn. Ive had a bad ECM in another vehicle and I at least got power to something.....lights, radio, etc. I have nothing at all. Im going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will come get it and fix it. Warranty should cover the tow bill.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Squeezd-n
Went and pulled up the Wiring Schematic on the Horn Ckt as well as the Power Distribution on the car...Horn relay control is handled by the BCM (Body Control Module)...go back to your engine compartment Fuse block(s)...check your Maxi Fuses and see if you dont have one blown...since you dont have any power at the moment to utilize a test light, Id suggest a digital multimeter, First check to see if you have at least 12.25 volts at the battery, if so, check the main Power wire (big red wire bolted to the side of the fuse block) going into the fuse block for the same Battery voltage, if you have Battery voltage there, then start checking those Maxi fuses...set the multimeter to the Ohms setting...touch the 2 leads together and make sure its reading zero, (just to make sure the multimeter is working properly set on OHMS), take out each maxi fuse and see if you have straight continuity on each one, it should be reading right around zero as well just like it did when you touched the to leads together. If you find a fuse that you have no continuity on, replace it and see what happens. (You should be able in most cases to see the fuse blown by looking at it...but I have seen it happen before where they look ok but check out bad) I hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i don`t know if fusible links are still in use but one will (blown) cause this to happen or possible a fried relay.kinda like the maxi fuse as most probable good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello squeezd-n,

I hope you get your problem solved.

Where did you get the Wolo Air Horn, how much did it cost, and did you have any other installation problems? (As if total electrical system failure was trivial . . . not)

I have been thinking my little Sol needs much bigger noise maker - I would love to blast like an 18-wheeler.

Thanks,

Lynne

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems as if I have two issues going on. Blowing the horn blew the fuse and its been replaced. It seems as if the power save function isn't working. I have been having trouble also with the bluetooth staying connected to my phone while I was in the house and the car was in the garage. I kept hearing my car ring and of course it was my phone. That issue isn't going away unless I disconnect the bluetooth link. It didn't do that until recently. The green light stays on on the rear view mirror which means on-star is staying on. This in turn is draining my battery. I got it started and running and now I need to get that horn installed.

Any suggestions for the new issue? Is there a relay for this power save feature?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Garage is under my house. never more than 30 feet or so from the car.

Update: the 15 amp fuse is working for the horn for now. The wolo horn is 10 times louder. For those that asked or are wondering, you can buy it at Northern tool. It is usually 39 bucks but I got it on sale for 25. Its a little awkward to mount, but it can be done. Took me about 15 minutes with no cut wiring. I can go back to stock in a matter of minutes if I need to. Wolo Bad Boy.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've had that horn for the longest and it's great. Just as an FYI, the horn fuse should be replaced with a 25 amp as the other one will blow if it hasn't already. Mine worked for a while but blew so save yourself the headache. :jm2c:

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Duncan - welcome to the forum. I see you've asked your question in a different thread on the forum. This particular thread is almost 12 years old and most of the people who have posted here haven't been on the forum in years. You're not likely to get a response here - but as you'll see members are already responding to your other post.

Good luck with your issue - I'm sure the members here will help you get to the bottom of it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts