Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Glad this has been helpful with 7,300 views to date. You're right that they are fairly rare, especially as modern day cars go from a major auto manufacturer. There are always new niche cars that debut, however when it comes to new specialty cars, rarity can often come an expensive price tag - more so than the MSRP on these.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is great info, thanks! It's surprising when I tell people about my coupe how little is known about them, especially the limited numbers. Some people have actually said, "Why did they stop making them?" :rolleyes: Um, yeah. Anyway, this info is priceless and always wows.

It would be great to get a breakdown (if it didn't violate privacy laws) of where they all are. I for one would love to know how many more there are in Maine; I'll bet that number is pretty low; I've only ever seen one other, but it's a big state. :)

·
Premium Member
172 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi All,
Would someone PM me the unzipped Excel file please. I tried every Zip utility I have and it comes up corrupt every time.
Regards,
Jim

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
There was also a coupe concept car rolled out at NAIAS when the Solstice debuted. It's good to know that the experimental and the concept exist, but for purposes of factry production count and VIN tracking, I'm not so sure how relevant they are. Especially if you want to know "how many of a certain color were made" and you start factoring those in there. But in short, if you want to count this XP, I'd say it's only fair to put the concept into the known coupe count.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
There was also a coupe concept car rolled out at NAIAS when the Solstice debuted. It's good to know that the experimental and the concept exist, but for purposes of factry production count and VIN tracking, I'm not so sure how relevant they are. Especially if you want to know "how many of a certain color were made" and you start factoring those in there. But in short, if you want to count this XP, I'd say it's only fair to put the concept into the known coupe count.
Does that mean that the total coupe count was more like 1268?

Host for the 2012 PNWR 4th Annual Regionals
July 19-22, 2012 Clarkston, WA
http://www.portlandroadsters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=1

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,551 Posts
If we are talking about the orange coupe that was part of the original introduction, be aware that that particular "car" was a Solstice carved out of a foam block, it was purely "show", and was not drivable. Check out the first chapter or two of "The Solstice Book".

·
Registered
23 Posts
great info

I am a new owner of #0093 coupe.
I was looking for a white GXP coupe but this one was just a deal I couldn't pass it up. I will post pics later but this info was what I needed to buy mine.:)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
This is great info, thanks! Anyway, this info is priceless and always wows.

It would be great to get a breakdown (if it didn't violate privacy laws) of where they all are. I for one would love to know how many more there are in Maine; I'll bet that number is pretty low; I've only ever seen one other, but it's a big state. :)
Just a quick stab based on the '09 Coupe List, let's see . . . 956÷"lower 48"= 19.91, so about 20 per state on average, which I'm sure actually varies according to population and market. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Solstice Concepts . . .

If we are talking about the orange coupe that was part of the original introduction, be aware that that particular "car" was a Solstice carved out of a foam block, it was purely "show", and was not drivable. Check out the first chapter or two of "The Solstice Book".
. . . Brazen Coupe in foam and fully functional Sly Roadster for their Feb. 2002 Detroit Auto Show debut and as subsequent Feb. 2004 Auto Show 2005 Model Sly Kappa Roadster introduction actually driven on-stage by Bob Lutz himself!

I collected a series of Opel (German GM) related articles published in Autoweek from the early 2000's which include early Solstice articles because the engines are Opel Ecotecs, which all GM 4-cylinders are now. Thought those might be of interest here as well, just click on the AW issue:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Hey Otto, The Scifi Guy from Opel GT.com here!

Ah-HA! So this is where you have been spending all your time!

:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just went through the attachment on the first post for database final stats on the coupe and tallied everytihing for Mean Yellow. I had read on several other threads that there were 37 Coupes produced in Yellow but when I finished my tally I only came up with 34. I went through and double-checked it and it's 34. Here's what I came up with

Mean Yellow Coupes
===============
15 in GXP with Auto transmission
9 in GXP with Manual transmission
9 in non-GXP with Auto transmission
1 in non-GXP with Manual transmission
====
Total = 34

Can someone please help me understand where the other 3 Yellow coupes are and why the number is off? Interested to hear - thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Data I have says 7 yellow in the preproduction nonserial run (6USA/1CAN) and 30 in the serially numbered run.(USA23/CAN3/MEX4)

We had an unsold new yellow car around here for at least a couple of years after production stopped (an auto).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Data I have says 7 yellow in the preproduction nonserial run (6USA/1CAN) and 30 in the serially numbered run.(USA23/CAN3/MEX4)

We had an unsold new yellow car around here for at least a couple of years after production stopped (an auto).
You have an unsold yellow coupe??? Would you be willing to sell it or this is a showroom icon that will remain as such? What is the mileage on it?

Also the production numbers listed in the first post of this thread do show the preproduction ones as well. I'm thinking there were only 34 total ever made in yellow and not 37.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
You have an unsold yellow coupe??? Would you be willing to sell it or this is a showroom icon that will remain as such? What is the mileage on it?
No, I don't have one, a local dealer had an unsold one for a couple of years after 2009 at least. I would never own a sports car with an automatic and I'd never let one of my cars sit without being driven as much as I had time for!

Here is a pic I took of the yellow car at a show - you can call the dealer and ask what became of it if you are after a 'shiftless' coupe. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
That is a site of beauty! Actually i can't drive stick...yet. I'm buying a beater this Friday for a couple hundred bucks to learn stick and then will decide what transmission I want my solstice to have. But since the coupe in yellow is so rare I'd buy one regardless of the transmission it had. Thanks for posting this pic!

101 - 120 of 157 Posts