Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Are you going to use Nitrogen or Compressed Air for your tires?

• Nitrogen

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Compressed Air

Votes: 37 90.2%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nitrogen? There's no appreciable difference.

The composition of the Earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases.

Now, you may hear some advertisers say that there is a different spring rate due to the pure nitrogen, but that's just not correct. The gas laws are laws because it doesn't matter what the composition of the gases are, the spring rates are the same.

Basically, if you have a proper compressed air system which removes much of the dissolved water, then you're wasting your money to switch to a "pure Nitrogen" system.

If you've ever looked at the inside of the tires after the 2 years that they're mounted, you will not be able to see any appreciable oxidation. If you were to store food inside the tire, then it would make sense to get the oxygen out, but I'm not really in the habit of putting cupcakes inside my tires.

This one's a bit like the magnets that were popular 2 years ago, which were put in wrist bracelets and shoe insole inserts--not harmful, but not really helpful either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was under the impression people use nitrogen b/c the tire pressure is affected less by tire temp. Doesn't NASCAR use nitrogen?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yes, C.A., BUT

the atomic mass of nitrogen is 14, Oxygen 16.

That's a 12.5% reduction in rotating mass due to oxygen! :lol:

(on the mass of the 21% oxygen :) )

There is no conclusive evidence that the small difference in the thermal properties of the 21/78 OxyNitro atmospheric mix properly dried and pure dry nitrogen matters.

Nitrogen SUPPOSED to run cooler, but part of the stuff that isn't thought of is the "anectdotals" or "testimonies" did not use DRY atmospheric mix for comparison. Much of the change in thermal properties is thought to come from the removal of water vapor (the small bit of CO2 is not thought to be much effect).

As far as the oxidation of the air sealing layer and lower pressure loss over time, Nitrogen is actually a slightly smaller atom (which actually increases the tendency for leaking through porous path and sealing junctures - BUT NOT BY MUCH). The thinking is that the air sealing layer gets "attacked" or "oxidized" by the atmospheric oxygen. As C.A. noted, however, there is no conclusive test data - either visual or permeation testing - that supports this hypothesis.

Will it hurt? Not a bit. Will it help? Test it yourself. I doubt it, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I can't believe there is even a market for people who want to fill their tires with Nitrogen. Talk about obsessing over something that dosen't even matter.
You should be worrying about what type of alcohol you are going use to run more boost with your turbo.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If it would cure the continual loss of air in aluminum wheels one of our cars experiences, I would try it.. It is supposed to prevent oxidation or more particular ozone damage to the interior of the tire, more than preventing oxidation (rust implies presence of iron, aluminum wheels do not rust, only oxidize) of the wheel. The ozone effect on the exterior of the tire is why they always look drab until you coat them with some type of tire dressing. Tires in the fifties and sixties didn't turn gray like the new tires.

The other reasoning is that over long periods of disuse the tires will retain pressure and not get out of round, assuming for those of us in the northern climes that may only be driving these for 6 months per year.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think this idea came from the collectors who store their entire cars in a dry nitrogen environment to preserve the leather, vinyl and rubber. But that's for really long periods - 20-30 years.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Costco (where I take my Sunfire to get my wheels rotated and balanced as well as pumped since I have their lifetime warranty), they always talk about how their nitrogen is better.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Gas laws and real world

If we were talking bicycles, then switching to a lighter gas (track cyclists use helium!) might make a difference (more in pure mass than in rolling mass). In a car tire, O2/N2 vs pure N2 is a small thing. You have no significant effect for the average "real world" driver.

Just my 2-cents.

--Chemist

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
OUr local tire chain uses nitrogen whenever they sell new tires gratis on them. In reality, they probably worked a couple bucks into the price of the tires to cover expenses (and then some). Whether it really works or not, it seems to be turning into a selling point anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Actually, it shouldn't be too bad at all to get Nitrogen.

Since the flight that went down in the atlantic last decade, a 250# device that simply filters water and oxygen out of the pressure compensation valves for the fuel tank does exacly that. (keeping mostly nitrogen and low ox atmosphere above the liquid fuel).

All you need to do is have one of these filters ahead of a compressor.

Now I'm wondering how much one costs?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Nah, I'm thinking of going with Neon! Getting me some of them space age clear wall tires and run a charge through the rims. I'll be pimping on those night time summer cruises! :lol: Put all those people with spinners to shame...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Drex said:
Nah, I'm thinking of going with Neon! Getting me some of them space age clear wall tires and run a charge through the rims. I'll be pimping on those night time summer cruises! :lol: Put all those people with spinners to shame...
All those people with spinners already put themselves to shame! :glol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts