Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a flat today, was trying to inflate the tire after plugging it. It seems like the original compressor in the trunk keeps blowing the fuse? I can only run it for a minute or so and the 20A fuse goes pop.

I can't fathom what will happen if I got the flat when I'm out...

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
I have not had to actually use ours so I dont have any direct experience. But I have not read that this is an issue with others. Maybe someone else will speak up with how it worked for them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use mine all the time to inflate my tires after a few months before a run. Never had any problems

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use mine all the time to inflate my tires after a few months before a run. Never had any problems
Yes I use it for seasonal changeovers to winters as well, but those were short bursts. That seems to be fine. But it seems to be unable to sustain filling up a flat tire.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have never filled up from flat, but when I autocross, I fill the tires with 10-15 lbs of air each one right after the other and have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never filled up from flat, but when I autocross, I fill the tires with 10-15 lbs of air each one right after the other and have never had a problem.
Yeah... that's pretty much how much air I could get in before it blew the fuse.

I guess the workaround now is I have a pack of 20A fuses in my car should it go flat again...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I'm not sure if this is related, but a day ago, my dash cam and cig lighter charger for my phone started becoming wonky. These are both tapped via an Add-a-Circuit into the BCM "Sunroof" fuse. Camera refuses to turn on, and the charger all of a sudden is experiencing a voltage drop and won't charge my phone properly, as if it's not supplying enough voltage.

Not sure if it's the battery, or if I need to reset the BCM? I replaced it about 2 years ago with a Wal-Mart Everstart.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Did you check the simple things? Battery cables for corrosion? The ground to the motor? Any loose connections to the engine bay fuse box? Any loose connections to the BCM?

Its also possible that the add a fuse you installed has become loose. Try pulling it and reinserting to make sure its still tight.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah... that's pretty much how much air I could get in before it blew the fuse.

I guess the workaround now is I have a pack of 20A fuses in my car should it go flat again...
First thing I'd do is determine if the compressor is drawing 20A or more. If it's pulling say, a steady 21A right up to desired psi, than I'd toss in a 25A fuse when using the pump and replace the 20 afterwards. Many decent electrical meters have a DC Amps setting that will read up to 20A, or just grab an inexpensive Harbor Freight DC amp gauge (#95778 cost me under $10) and build a simple test harness; Use a male 12v socket-type male plug and a female socket with foot or two lengths of 12ga make an extension cord of the plug & socket with one wire intact and one cut in the middle with the gauge spliced into it. When you plug the male end into a car lighter socket, the gauge will read the current being drawn by anything you plug into the female end of the test cord. If the pump draws 20A or more you can stop guessing, if it draws closer to 18 (or less) than I'd question what else may be on the lighter circuit that makes the combined circuit at/over 20A.
EDIT-forgot to mention, VERY first thing is to measure the battery voltage and see if you have at least 13v at rest and as others have mentioned, check the cables for tightness. Try and gently twist the terminal at the post by hand. If it can be popped off you probably found the problem. Clean the terminals and connectors and reattach & torque the clamps.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Did you check the simple things? Battery cables for corrosion? The ground to the motor? Any loose connections to the engine bay fuse box? Any loose connections to the BCM?

Its also possible that the add a fuse you installed has become loose. Try pulling it and reinserting to make sure its still tight.
Yeah checked the add-a-fuse first thing, still tight and everything. Even tried plugging it into another spare fuse, and tapped the cam and charger separately. Same thing.

Don't think the BCM connections would come loose out of nowhere?

EDIT: Fixed it. Turns out it was the ground post where the cam and charger was connected to. Replaced the nut and everything good to go. Didn't test the compressor but I'm thinking it's unrelated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts