Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Very cool stuff.

I predict we'll get new tracks in the shape of cauliflower. ML models tend to generate some really funky stuff.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What programmers are accomplishing with simulated racing is pretty amazing. They laser scan the actual tracks so every dip, bump, turn is faithfully reproduced and can be felt through the steering wheel feedback system. And seat actuators if you can afford them.

They program telemetry from hundreds of actual cars into the software so the car on the screen attempts to mimic the driving traits of the real vehicle realistically. Each vehicle from a McLaren M8 to a Fiat 500 handles differently. There is a Solstice GXP on Forza 7 that handles very similar to my GXP. It's not totally realistic but around 85% accurate to a real GXP.

After driving some of the older cars on SIM Racing, I can not believe how hard some of the old cars are to drive. The front engined race cars from the 50's (Formula 1 and Indy cars) were a handfull and the prewar race cars are like driving a truck. I have a lot higher respect for the drivers of that era, driving those large, cumbersome race cars.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Need to have the race? I don't even understand. Without even touching on the human factors of courage and calculated risk, the cars themselves must be robust enough to endure the race.

RE: games, simulation and games are similar in concept, but quite worlds apart in practice. Even an old sim like Grand Prix Legends, 21 years old, would be an eye opener compared to many games today. Scrambling out of Eau Rouge at the limit of tire adhesion or sailing above the track at Flugplatz in a sim can be a thing that fills you with a sense of real accomplishment, and while the apprehension of say, the Masta Kink when behind a monitor and not a real steering wheel gives only a hint of the real danger, it can be quite enough to make your mouth dry when you've put 12 laps in at the head of the pack and you're slightly off the line: one miscue and you're out. No re-spawn, no plus-ups, one mistake and your race is over.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
There is a Solstice GXP on Forza 7 that handles very similar to my GXP.
For "real" sim racing check out titles like Assetto Corsa, rFactor2, Project Cars 2 and iRacing. The 2 most realistic are rf2 and iracing. There is a comparison of F1 vs. SimF1 and they are almost identical. iracing has an NA Solstice, but it's only about 80% accurate. It accelerates like a GXP and is a bit more "grippy" then in real life. I have been an avid simracer since 1992 with my first "sim" gave of Indianapolis 500. I have a simrig complete with 3 monitors, VR, and ff wheel as well as a "button box" for all of the in-car settings that can be changed and working 6 speed gear shift (or padels..depending on the realism factor). IRacing when releasing new tracks, takes several months. As stated above, they laser scan every little crack, dip and turn. rfactor2 you can "create" your own vehicle with it's own tire model. I haven't tried this yet as you have to be a rocket scientist to do this!! Just the tire model alone would take several weeks to complete to make it as real as possible.

F1 has been doing this for 2? years already....I'm surprised this was just published.

Simracing is no different then any pilot that uses a simulator for training purposes. It's all "learned" and then duplicated.

EDIT: This was F1 2017 vs. a real F1 car. They have even come a bit further since this one...

(If I get a chance this weekend, I'll record and post a few races using my VR)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have Assetto Corsa and enjoy the feel but the realistic visuals on Forza 7 is more enjoyable.

I use both depending on the time available. Assetto Corsa takes time to start it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts