Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to these forums, but not new to the Pontiac community.

I am in the middle of restoring a 1969 Pontiac Firebird.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trauschu/album?.dir=bc99

The body work is almost finished, and I've been searching for a color to repaint the car with. I really do not like any of the original colors that were available in 1969, so I'ev decided to use a more modern metallic shade. I would rather use an actual Pontiac color, which brings me to my question regarding the Solstice.

Last month I visited the yearly Auto Show here in San Antonio, and they had a Solstice out on display. I instantly fell in love with the color. It was a medium metallic gray color. Here is a picture I took at the show.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/trauschu/detail?.dir=/b877&.dnm=a1ea.jpg&.src=ph

I really want to know what color Pontiac used for this Solstice. I attempted to contact Pontiac directly, but they were of absolutely no help on the phone or via email.

Does anyone know what color this is? All I want is DuPont code or a name so I can take it to my local shop and have them mix the color.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good question but don't know the answer to it.

I would search all existing Pontiac models to look for a match. It's possible they just used an existing color. Hard to believe they used a new color but anything is possible I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
You could also go down to your local Auto Paint store/parts store and have a color mixed. They can work from a factory color, in your case a Medium to Dark Gray metallic and I would suggest having them use one or two sizes larger metal flake in it. This will give it the sparkle you're looking for and also bring it up to a lighter shade. This is why I suggest starting with a darker shade then you want, because the larger metal will brighten the color. Most places will test mix small amounts to let you see the effect.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Do you think it's just a coincidence that the closest color you could find to the "production" Solstice was a Mazda color? :rolleyes

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If Pontiac isn't talking, I doubt your going to find an exact color. However, if you want a GM grey I'd start by checking out their current lineup of vehicles to see if any of them look good. They must sell some vehicles in a dark grey, although I cannot really picture any. You could also go back in time to see what grey's they have used over the last few years too.

Your bird is going to be hot when you get it done! I love classic Firebirds!! :thumbs Awesome car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My other option is the color from the Aston Martin DB9.

http://www.astonmartin.com/content/astonmartin/images/800_600_imageGallery_DBR9_1.jpg

And surprisingly, Aston Martin actually responded via email on their color.

"Thank you for your recent e-mail, most of the images are of a car in Oyster Silver - our reference (which Dupont should recognise) AST 1340."

I like the idea of the larger metal flakes, but I am slightly annoyed that Pontiac cannot respond with the color that they used. Why is it such secret information?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yea, that Aston Martin color is sweet. And larger metal flake would help show off those nice body lines the Firebird has. Sometimes gray can lessen the effect that body lines give off.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
TomDoc said:
trauschu, i like your black cat and puppy, what's thier names?
TomDoc! Looks like you're still employed! Welcome back...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Piippor,

Holy Gehosophet!! Nice!!

It's realy close to what I would like, but a bit to charcoal gray.

Is there any way I can beg you to teach me how you did that? I assume you used Photoshop. I would like to get a concept picture created so I can hold it up to my wife and say, "See, THIS is going to be how it will look." :)

Our company has Photoshop, so I could use it, I just need to know how you did the color gradiant replacement.

Again, nice work.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
This is pontiac 'liquid silver metallic'. I suspect that is the color, but don't really know for sure.

They also have 'quicksilver', 'greystone', and 'galaxy' silver greys on various models.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
How to change colors:

In photoshop, just select the area you want to change, using either the polygonal lasso, or the magnetic lasso - whatever your preference. With your area selected, and if you have a recent version of photoshop, you can go straight to Enhance-Adjust Color-Remove Color, which turns it to a sepia appearance.

Then, with your selection, go to Enhance-Adjust Color-Change Color, and use the selectors to change to any saturation, hue and color you want.

A little more different way to do it is to use gradient maps, and it may look a bit better, but it takes longer for me for some reason.

This one took me about 20 minutes using the automatic color change in Photoshop Elements. Looks a little "neon-like" in appearance, but you get the picture anyways (I think I bumped the saturation a bit much...)

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is a complicated process. You need to make a selection around the colored areas of the car only. Save that selection under the selection menu. Change the photo to B&W, while you still have the selection, and then copy from the edit menu. Now undo the change to B&W to get your color photo back, and paste from the edit menu. That should put a b&w car on a new layer on top of your color photo. Just make sure your cars lineup. After that you can duplicate the car layer as many times as you want. And you can modify each layer to get the effect you're looking for. Try using stuff under the adjustments menu and also the mode menu in your layers palette. My problem was the b&w lacked any color in it at all, which looked wrong because even grey reflects some of the surrounding colors.

This will get you started, but there was much more I had to do to get the effect. I just can't go into all that here. Sorry.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
You may still be able to get the information out of Pontiac. Be persistent. The first response they generally send to an email is a form letter, and not a personalized response. It sounds to me like that is basically what you received. I’d send them a follow up email and ask them if they have a paint name and code for the Solstice prototype color.

I have gotten better responses by replying to their initial form letter emails in the past. It is possible the color was custom and there is no official paint code, but maybe they could find something for you.

The Aston Martin color looks really good too! At least it does on Aston Martin’s! It would be a good choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solstice Body Color

The color you're looking at is GM Code 42, Dark Tarnished Metallic. Your reference number for your local paint jobber/distributor is WA-911L. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts