Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Is it just me or does anyone else think there was something lost from concept to production?

Unless I am seriously confused, these two images are:
Production: http://www.srv7.com/images/solstice01.jpg
Concept: http://www.srv7.com/images/solstice02.jpg

If that is correct, who else thinks:
LOSSES
1. The "normal" rearview mirror in production is a real loss from concept?
2. The door handles in production are also a less atractive choice?
3. Backup light ... ditto?

GAINS
1. The lower right exhaust is vastly better than the center Porsche anal exhaust?

JMHO

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the rear view mirro in the concept would have sucked. For one, it would have been impossible to use with the top up. The top actually would close against it.

I'm pretty indifferent to the door handles. Not sure how the concept ones would have worked.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Actually this has won kudos for staying close to concept....most production cars look nothing like their concepts.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mceb, please don't get me wrong. I agree with you that the production is a very nice rendition of the concept and Pontiac deserves VERY LARGE CUDOS for carrying it off this well. I bought it becuase of the awesome look, not because of the test drive! LOL

I was just noting somethings that I think would have been nice to keep.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here's a production shot a little closer to the prototype shot angle. You can see the lines have changed slightly, but not too much.

Personally, I'm glad they changed the exhaust.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man I LOVE that rear view mirror in the header. That one should have made production :cool:
As far as the tail pipes go, the twin tips of the "GT" rule :thumbs: but the single of the first production version is........WEAK, sorry but true. :leaving:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Nose and hood line substantially improved

For me, the nose and hood lines are more taut and less bulbous. The original concept seemed to have an awfully long climb up from the front to where it headed back toward the passenger compartment. It's subtle, but having only seen the concept prior to the LA auto show, I thought, wow, in person, the hood lines look cleaner and flatter.

The placement of the lower lights is also improved. Bringing them a bit more out to the sides enhances the wide low stance in my eyes.

Again, styling is without doubt an "eye of the beholder" operation. If you need any proof of that, take a look at the Japanese tuner set pictures that solstice man linked into the forum at the following thread: O. M. G. Some things cannot be described in words..

Is the Solstice really close to the concept? Yeah, without doubt. Does the production vehicle look as good? In my opinion, yes, maybe better.

Your perceptions, just as your mileage, will vary.;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you really want to see a ton of changes, look at an image of the interior dash and then look at an image of the concept dash.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
links to interior pics of concept?

brentil said:
If you really want to see a ton of changes, look at an image of the interior dash and then look at an image of the concept dash.
Oh, tell me--tell me--tell me--Plllleeeezzzz!!!!???

In all seriousness, though, do you have links to some dash pictures of the concept? I have never seen interior photos of the 2002 machine. Thanks! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Oh, tell me--tell me--tell me--Plllleeeezzzz!!!!???

In all seriousness, though, do you have links to some dash pictures of the concept? I have never seen interior photos of the 2002 machine. Thanks! :cool:
Here's some images.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
Man I LOVE that rear view mirror in the header. That one should have made production :cool:
As far as the tail pipes go, the twin tips of the "GT" rule :thumbs: but the single of the first production version is........WEAK, sorry but true. :leaving:
I agree, the single tip on the production car is weak; but I think I would have preferred a more traditional horizontal twin tip in the production location to the concept's vertical twin.

The DUAL twin tips on the coupe mock-up are dynomite, though. They look excellent at each end of the roll pan. I really just don't like the single twin centered in the bumper. I think the center exit looks like crap on the boxter, too. Somebody said it looked like an anus right there, and they're right. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
I think they greatly improved the interior from the concept.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I really dig the burshed metal appearance of the old design, but I like the layout of the new dash much better.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Even though the mirros and door handles are not exactly true to the conecpt, they are also not a total departure either. Both still look good on the production car IMO.

Actually, the fact that we are comparing such specific items and details is a testament to how close GM got the production car to the concept. There is always bound to be some compromises in the translation from concept to production, but this one is real close.

However, if there is one detail I wish had made the transition right away, its the 240 HP supercharged engine! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts