Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little concerned about theft and my Sol. I know that most thefts of cars is for parts and that the most stolen cars are those with the highest parts demand. Here in Texas that is pickup trucks! So, with so few Sols on the road, it is not an issue.

But, they also steal unusual cars that have demand. That would definatly describe the Solstice. Or, will there be so few for a good amount of time that they stand out too much to risk stealing one?

I ask because I am debating the decision to put a LoJack system on the car when I get it. We have one on our Tahoe because they are definatly a highly taken vehicle. I'm wavering on the Solstice though.

What do you think...
Yes, install one, what can it hurt.
No, don't waste the money as no one will steal it!

:willy:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If you have a lot of theivery going on in the area with similar cars, S2K, Z3&4, etc go for it, unless you are getting the OnStar by the time your car is produced. That system will pinpoint a car's location within yards and can even honk the horn if the car is behind closed doors and you can't see it from street (saw a demonstration on tv) It's the one option I wouldn't want to have to use. But it does give peace of mind. I have no clue as to price diff between LoJack and OnStar and don't forget to factor in value of hands free cell phone (OnStar). Sheesh, I sound like a commercial.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The only problem I have heard about On-Star (and I'm no expert, just passing along 2nd hand info) is that if they rip off the onstar antenna it is essentially rendered useless. (Again 2nd hand on Lojack) they can do the same thing and rip off the antenna, however it is hidden in one of great number of spots and you can't tell from outside if the car has it (onlike the obvious on-star antenna).

Another thing to consider is insurance discount. I know if you have additonal anti-theft it helps, so the extra upfront cost may be defrayed a bit by insurance savings.

I live in a suburb about 45 minutes out of Detroit, and lets just say their is a lot of money round these parts (oddly none appears to make it my way :( ) so I think I'm safer as there a ton of 70K cars around, my affordable roadster probably won't be the most lucrative target.

·
5,641 Posts
MisterE said:
The only problem I have heard about On-Star (and I'm no expert, just passing along 2nd hand info) is that if they rip off the onstar antenna it is essentially rendered useless.
OnStar FAQs Closest answer.

Q7. If my antenna is stolen, can OnStar still find me?
A7. OnStar uses a full 3.0-watt cellular system as opposed to the typical 0.6-watt portable cell phone. Assuming there is still power for the system, if the antenna is removed from outside the vehicle, it is still possible to make the cellular connection, although the range is diminished.

·
Registered
177 Posts
just noticed this thread and since I've been looking into some anti-theft options would anyone have an opinion on this device... http://www.nohotwire.com/contact.htm ... seems fair priced and at many dealers. :skep:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Small Dealer said:
OnStar FAQs Closest answer.

Q7. If my antenna is stolen, can OnStar still find me?
A7. OnStar uses a full 3.0-watt cellular system as opposed to the typical 0.6-watt portable cell phone. Assuming there is still power for the system, if the antenna is removed from outside the vehicle, it is still possible to make the cellular connection, although the range is diminished.

Small Dealer, I'm a fan of my OnStar but I've read on the net that a professional can disable it with a portable jamming device in no time and make off with the car without difficulty. Any ideas about this? I called OnStar and the Rep asked tech support about it and they told him it wasnt possible to jam it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Solstick said:
Small Dealer, I'm a fan of my OnStar but I've read on the net that a professional can disable it with a portable jamming device in no time and make off with the car without difficulty. Any ideas about this? I called OnStar and the Rep asked tech support about it and they told him it wasnt possible to jam it.

This is true. All you have to do is transmit in the frequency range that the OnStar is operating in, but this is true for lowjack and any other vehicle recovery device

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Solstick said:
Even if it were possible to jam, what story do you think OnStar is going to tell?

·
5,641 Posts
I watch "Gone in 60 Seconds" every time it is on TBS or Fx, nothing is totally safe. "Low Rider Donny".

Amazon.com "Best of War and More" Select audio clip for "Low Rider".

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
lepiane said:
just noticed this thread and since I've been looking into some anti-theft options would anyone have an opinion on this device... http://www.nohotwire.com/contact.htm ... seems fair priced and at many dealers. :skep:
Now that looks intresting, but i dont think its 100% effective.
If a thief has time he might be able to trace the wires back to where they originate, all cables are color coded, and hook them up. Of course this will take a while and the thief will probably move on to the next car, but its definetly possible.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't think LoJack is a waste of money, because with an insurance discount for an anti-theft device, LoJack can pay for itself in a few years. No monthly fees, either.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
shabby said:
Now that looks intresting, but i dont think its 100% effective.
If a thief has time he might be able to trace the wires back to where they originate, all cables are color coded, and hook them up. Of course this will take a while and the thief will probably move on to the next car, but its definetly possible.
You didn't read enough about it. I just skimmed through their site and they said that they had a professional team of hired theives to test thier system. The team said that most other systems only take 3 minutes to crack, but they would approve that one if it lasted 8 minutes. The team tried and finally gave up after 35 minutes, that sounds pretty effective to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two things:

If you're concerned only about the theft of the vehicle, then this doesn't really apply. On Miata.net, there's always a debate raging about whether to lock the vehicle. The thought goes, if the door is unlocked, thieves are less likely to slash the top to steal the contents. I lock my door, but many don't. Also, while it's obvious, it bears repeating: LEAVE NOTHING VISIBLE IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT!

Second, I was thinking of installing a fuel cutoff switch. Just a hidden toggle that disables the fuel pump. Can't cost much to install, and if it's a mod and hidden, no casual thief would think to look. It just wouldn't start. Nothing, of course, will stop a thief with a flatbed or tow truck.

Tony

·
5,641 Posts
The Batman said:
I don't think LoJack is a waste of money, because with an insurance discount for an anti-theft device, LoJack can pay for itself in a few years. No monthly fees, either.
You can pay for the OnStar system all at once and get a discount so there would be no monthly fees. You can get 48 months (three year extension) of OnStar for $549 (equals [email protected] month). 48 months of Lojack is $138 ([email protected]), if prices are not raised.
LoJack Site FAQs said:
How do I know if my LoJack is working?
Your LoJack is tested and certified at the time of installation. We then recommend an inspection of your LoJack every two years. Inspections cost $69* and can be arranged by calling 1-800-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225).
*Pricing is subject to change without notice.
Onstar gets you an insurance discount also, with its theft tracking, same as LoJack.

kiljoy said:
Second, I was thinking of installing a fuel cutoff switch. Just a hidden toggle that disables the fuel pump. Can't cost much to install, and if it's a mod and hidden, no casual thief would think to look. It just wouldn't start. Nothing, of course, will stop a thief with a flatbed or tow truck.
Pulling the fuel pump fuse would do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Isn't that what the Keypass III (or whatever it is) system does?

I thought that it was NOT to allow the car to start without the correct key.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
dori-san said:
You didn't read enough about it. I just skimmed through their site and they said that they had a professional team of hired theives to test thier system. The team said that most other systems only take 3 minutes to crack, but they would approve that one if it lasted 8 minutes. The team tried and finally gave up after 35 minutes, that sounds pretty effective to me.
The device is pretty simple, it takes 8 wires that runs various important devices that allow the car to start. Tracing the wires from the back of the plug to where they originate isnt that big of a deal, who knows what that team of hired goons were doing for 35 minutes.

If you can manage to turn the ignition on somehow, a scan tool will most likely show you which sensors(fuel pump, ignition, tach, tps or whatever) arent working due to an open circuit that the device makes. Then you connect a wire from one point on the plug to another, trial and error, and you will eventually defeat the system. But then again this takes time, which thieves usually dont have but you never know.

Also the $400 price tag is a bit of a rip off, the plug costs 5 bucks and the install maybe another 100.
Heck if i can get a pin out of the ecu and see which wire does what, i'll just need a connector like this, do some wiring work and i'll have my own anti theft device. I am so smrt ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
dori-san said:
Isn't that what the Keypass III (or whatever it is) system does?

I thought that it was NOT to allow the car to start without the correct key.

It is called PassKey III+, and yes, that is what it is supposed to do. In insurance terms, it is an immobilizer, which prevents the car from being started unless the correct key is used. My understanding of the system is that there is a "theft deterrent module" built into the ignition system that will disable the starter and the fuel system, unless the correct signal is recieved from a transponder in the ignition key. I have no knowledge of whether or not systems like this are easy to bypass or override. And again this wouldn't prevent dedicated thieves from simply loading your car up on a flatbed and towing it away.

EDIT: I found a website with a pretty involved explanation of the PassKey III+ system, http://pdqforensics.com/sec410010.html I sure hope this doesn't help the thieves figure out how to defeat the system!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
shabby, if you actually read some of the info on the site, they say that during the install they run all their wires right along with the cars existing wires... it would take hours sorting out what wires were for what. either way, I too, think that thing is a big rip off and I'm not really trying to defend it. It just seems like it's more difficult to overcome than you think.

Either way I'm not interested in spending MY money on it, I'll just rely on the PK3 to keep people from taking my car. I'm not really worried about that anyway, I'm just worried about someone breaking in to steal stuff inside... which can easily be solved as mentioned earlier; don't leave anything visible. But even more so, I'm simply worried about people F-ing with my car. The usual dings in the parking lot, or someone pulling a hit and run. What worries me most is; I currently park in the driveway, as the garage only actually has enough room for my mothers car.

Not with my current car but my previous one, my CD player was stolen as well as the digital camera I had in the glove box... right in my own driveway. And also, with the same car, during halloween one year some kids went around egging cars and houses, and also proceeded to shoot my car with a bb gun—putting a dent and chipping the paint with one shot to the drivers door, and also cracking the windsheild with a second shot. I live in a good neighborhood/subdivision and nobody here would do such a thing, but across the main road there are some apartments with people who are likely the culprits of these attacks. These are the kind of people that would come along and key the everloving sh*t out of my car simply because they are jealous that they don't have such a sweet ride.

I don't want to get into a huge chunk of history, but the car I own now is a fairly beat-up 91 240SX, with one headlight stuck up. It basically looks like a POS and in the last 18 months I've had it, nobody has messed with it. My previous car was a 94 Civic; it attracted a lot of attention. Reason being is I had a full body kit and a nice electric blue paint job. I've come to the conclusion that people around here with F with a car that looks valuable or like it has something valuable in it. That is exactly the message that the Solstice will portray.

During a hurricane last year, my mother shifted her car all the way to one side of the garage and there was just enough room for me to sqeeze mine in. I'm convinced that if we move some things around (workbench) that we'll have a bit more room because I WANT to park this in the garage, I certainly don't want it left outside to be broken into or vandalized. So I'm more worried about people messing with the car as opposed to taking it.

Sorry for such a long post.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There's one major issue with the LoJack vs OnStar debate. I CAN'T get OnStar in my Solstice, but I can get LoJack. No one can get OnStar right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
speaking of theft and such, has anyone been able to get an insurance quote on a sol yet? I havn't even tried yet as I was told I won't be getting my car until March.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts