Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put a $500 deposit down on this vehicle and booked a flight down to Chicago to drive it back to Minneapolis, kind of on a whim. I'm starting get concerned after doing some review searching on the dealership and I need some expert opinions on some of these pictures.

So here's the car advertised on AutoTrader. Cars for Sale: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Rolling Meadows, IL 60008: Convertible Details - 328067165 - AutoTrader.com

At first i'm oh, the car fax is certified 1 owner and clean title. And awesome deal on the car with relative low miles- But after closer investigation it looks like it could be part of some sort of title washing scheme (potentially)?
CARFAX Vehicle History Report on 1G2MG35X17Y139462

If you look at these 2 pictures the door and the rear quarter panel almost look like 2 completely different colors- is this normal or clear evidence of body work?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/sols2.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Maybe i'm just being paranoid perhaps some folks can weigh in on this?

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
After looking at all the pictures both rear panels look to be the 'new' darker shade of Sly while the rest of the car is the 06-07 shade.

Hard to really tell from pictures. Maybe you should give them a call and ask about it. :dunno:

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you do a search you will see that some slight variation in color from panels is normal on these cars because of the way they were painted. It may just be the lighting in that pic based on angles and refraction of the light BUT that seems pretty bad leading me to believe something is wrong.

Also another this to note is in about 500 miles the car has been auctioned 4 or 5 times, this seems odd to me like it wasn't up to dealers specs so they dumped it over and over.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The front fender looks a little mis-aligned with the rocker panel as well.:(

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I agree something is wrong with all the times it has been traded dealer to dealer. I notice part of the lower front bumper is missing too.

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Looks like one or possibly both of the fenders are dented from improper lifting as well- behind the front tires. Driver side is really obvious.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't like the look of the paint; maybe with some high res photos I would consider flying down. I live in Mpls as well and picked up my GXP this past June - seems like there are always some floating around (although, not in this color). They should be getting cheaper with every day the temp drops :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree something is wrong with all the times it has been traded dealer to dealer. I notice part of the lower front bumper is missing too.
yea, it's missing the whole front lower intercooler area front fascia. there is a plastic lip down there and a few inches of that plastic honeycomb, all missing.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My advice
Run

Get your money back and find a different one

·
Registered
50 Posts
The original paint on the car would be 5 years old now. If the rear of the car was repainted, the body shop might have had a hard time matching exactly that 5 year old original paint. (And, of course, if it was repainted, you need to know why.)

Gray may (still) be an especially difficult color to match. If you are friendly with a local body shop, have them take a look at the pics and get their take. I'd also see if they could estimate for you the cost of repairing the body damage noted by the posters in this thread.

As Shadowfax caught, the car is missing the front fascia. Mine scrapes every speed bump in the neighborhood and I'm always surprised it dosn't fall off, but since yours is gone and we don't know why, I wonder about possible additional damage, especially to the intercooler behind it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd say you should be able to find one that you will be/should be more at ease with the purchase. Hopefully you get your deposit back, if you decide against this one that is.

Bert

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
#1: Don't count on Carfax 100%. The little bit of truth that they don't tell you is that not every accident or service is reported. The car could have been near totaled, and if the insurance company wasn't involved or didn't annotate the VIN, then there would be no history of it. It is estimated that between 20-40% of all accidents never make it onto Carfax.

I would run away from that car. Looking at the photos, the hood gaps aren't quite right, the paint appears to be mis-matched. The driver side door appears to be about an 1/8th of an inch too high in the back (it could be optical illusion though). The missing frontend parts, combined with everything else points at a piss-poor body shop repair job done on the cheap.

There are enough other Solstice GXPs out there right now that I would find one in better condition. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you are spending only $15,000 for a GXP, typically you are going to get this type of quality.

Expect to pay closer to $20,000 for a good quality, low mileage GXP with all options.

Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would not bother to buy this car. You never know what else could be 'odd' with it and nothing's worse than paying all this money and having more to put into it. :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you are spending only $15,000 for a GXP, typically you are going to get this type of quality.

Expect to pay closer to $20,000 for a good quality, low mileage GXP with all options.

Sending you a PM.
Maybe a 2009 coupe is worth $20k but there is no way in hell a GXP vert is. I love my GXP vert but I am realistic too!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Maybe a 2009 coupe is worth $20k but there is no way in hell a GXP vert is. I love my GXP vert but I am realistic too!
I'd throw away KBB with regard to GXP coupes.....I'd be VERY surprised if you found a low mileage, excellent condition coupe GXP for near $20k. We paid more than that for sure, and they can be found offered regularly for more than $30k (heck I just posted about the Merlot, 2010 last coupe produced that had an asking price of $43,900).

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I would run!!!! I spent several years in the body shop....and that car has something amiss. Scenario: Said car is rear ended and the owner doesn't have insurance. They don't report it to insurance and it goes to a local "damaged" auction. First dealer buys it and decides to "off it" before the title catches up to it (trust me, it can be done!! I've seen it happen first hand!). Now 2nd dealer realizes it and has a buyer at another dealer and sells it right away.....this goes on through 5 dealers now... There is no way the title is EVER going to catch up with that vehicle!

Scenario 2: (also seen this one happen) Said owner owns the vehicle outright. It's hit in the rear end. It's totaled. Calls insurance company. They cut said owner a check for what the car is worth, less the amount to buy it directly from them and have it repaired on his own. Said owner just happens to be a back yard body man.... get the picture? That title is what we used to call a (I can't remember the name we used but it was like Blind Title or something) because it was never reported that it had been in an accident (totaled no less!!!) even though the insurance company paid out on it. Said owner and insurance company weren't the loser in this, just the next buyer.

Looking at the pics....I say run!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts