·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
VERY interesting! ;)

As I walked inside, it occurred to me that this was getting complicated. I was an undercover car salesman for Edmunds.com, sent to a dealership, which sent me to a seminar, which sent me to another dealership as an undercover shopping evaluator. I guess that made me a triple agent.
:glol:

I've always been able to buy at employee pricing (GMS / A-plan) - I didn't know how sheltered I was.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
MAKsys said:
VERY interesting! ;)

:glol:

I've always been able to buy at employee pricing (GMS / A-plan) - I didn't know how sheltered I was.
Yeah, me too. Although the Sol will be my first car bought with GMS.

I have 2 questions about the article that he didn't really cover.

1. He mentions getting stuck with a high interest rate. Well as far as I know they are set rates and cannot be negotiated. Am I wrong? For lease and financing?

2. This has more to do with the GMS but if the dealer knows he's giving the car to me with the discount then is it still possible for him to screw me? Like if I should be getting the car for $20,000 as per the employee pricing but I don't know that, could he turn around and sell it to me for $21,000?? I mean, I wouldn't know what the cost of the car is with the discount, I'm relying on him to tell me that. Is it possible for him to lie about that?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi all,

It is possible for a salesman to lie about everything and anything.

I worked for a while at a no-haggle place, and they really had customer service down to an art. We were encouraged to, while always wanting to make the sale, to be honest and upfront about everything. As part of our training, we had to go to the high-pressure place down the street and try and buy a car. This guy in the article is spot on. We also would routinely hear horror stories from our own customers who tried to get a better deal down the street. They would come back after shopping us and promise to never go back there again.

Rates are negotiable. You really, when buying, need to negotiate every stipulation of the deal independently, or who knows what might happen. As the author said, when you are a stikler for one part of the deal, the other side can be inflated and you wouldn't even know it. i.e. wanting full book on your trade, you get a higher rate. Also, I have heard of salesman charging customers freight three times without them even noticing it. Be careful!

SlySolLover

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
This is defintely a very good read for those who haven't seen it before. I read it when S-man first posted it, just never replied back for some reason. Maybe cause the article is sooooo long. :D

·
Happily In The Club
563 Posts
This is a great article even though it takes a long time to read. The author states "How did the car business get so screwed up? There's nothing else in our society that is sold with the consumer so conspicuously unprepared." I disagree. Shopping for a diamond engagement ring is even worse. You have no idea what you are getting - it could be glass for all you know...

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
When I first went to the Pontiac dealership here in Houston, they tried every one of those tricks on me. But I resisited.

They did the 4 square on me, tried to get me to agree to this and that. But I resisted.

They kept me waiting for what seemed to be hours and hours, trying to wear me down. But I resisted.

They offered me this and that. But I resisted.

Finally I agreed to buy the Solstice.

Total elapsed time was about 30 seconds. What can I say? I'm a TOUGH customer!

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts