Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sat in my first Sol today at the dealer, it was red with polished wheels, nice but for my taste, i find the red to orangy and the polished wheels not bright enought..anyhow...

Like most of you taller/bigger than average I was nervous about buying a car that I haven't seen or sat in.

My stats...I'm 6'"1" 205 LB with 33" from crotch to heel.. ok so I may not be that big or that tall for some of you, but still bigger/taller than the average Joe.

When I sat in the car, it felt small at first, not the kind of car that you can change positions once in while on a long trip... sometimes, I like to sit on a angle to relieve back/leg fatigue in my RSX on long trips, this one you can't BUT on the other hand, the seats are way more confortable that i may not feel the pressure points that need relieving. It felt exacly like my nefew's 1986 RX7, tight yet cosy.

Then came time to try the steering/shifter combo...perfect!! man did that shifter feel nice and precise... but, don't try shifting with a coffee in the rear cup holder!! :devil:

Next, the pedals... aaarrrggghhhh!!! me legs don't fit!! panic starts to sink in!!
what will I do, the car is already on order, its beautiful, way more than I imagined, even with all 200 pics that I saw, so I'm thinking amputation is the only option!! ..hey, its the car or the feets, one of them has to go!! and since I'm a very logical guy... I won't need my feets if I drive this car!!

Then I realised that the seat angle was way to inclined, I have bad posture and like my seat with a big incline, but this one was really unhealthy, so I adjusted the angle like I do in my RSX and voila, I gained 2" at the very least!
and since its still more incline than the average driver, you probably can gain another 2 " if you put almost straight..

Shoulder room was good, maybe 2 or 3" from the door, hip room...well with my 34" pant size for the waist, its snug...but unless your have a 38" pant size, its not a problem.

Head room, I still had over 2" above my head, just like my present car, and another thing that worried me from day one, was the view from the side windows, since the roof comes down on the side windows, i thought It would be a problem, well I still had a couple of inches above my eye level before the roof would block it, so guys up to 6'4" is not a problem.

I found the view all around to be good, maybe a little narrowed throught the back window, and the mirrors a little small, but nothing to worry us!

Getting in and out of the car must have been effortless because just now, as I'm writing this I realised that despite my bad back, The back pain didn't happen like it does when I get in my car....maybe it was all the endorphin my body was releasing when I saw that car! :lol:

Well, thats all for today!...tomorrow I'll teach you how to bake a stawberry shortcake! .... NOT!! :leaving:

·
5,600 Posts
Good details in your post. I just want to add that I thought the Solstice was very easy to get in and out of for such a low seating position. The door cutouts must be in an ideal position for access, because I don't remember having any trouble getting up out of the car's low seats while getting out of the front of a Civic Sedan seems like a fight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kid,

I am right on the upper size limits you talked about (6'4", 270, 34 inseam, 38" waist...okay those are really tight now, 40" waist).
I have spent a couple of hours looking over the two Sols my dealer has waiting for thier owners to return from vacation and too my suprise I feel very comfortable in the drivers seat. There is actually more room in the Solstice than in the front seats of the last generation F-body (Trans-Am).
I increased the incline angle of the seat and slid the seat all the way back which left plenty of leg room and I still cleared the roof.
Now that my dealers #2 and #3 of 4 have arrived mine can't be far behind (it is #1 of 4) I really can't wait :willy:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skidpad said:
Kid,

I am right on the upper size limits you talked about (6'4", 270, 34 inseam, 38" waist...okay those are really tight now, 40" waist).
I have spent a couple of hours looking over the two Sols my dealer has waiting for thier owners to return from vacation and too my suprise I feel very comfortable in the drivers seat. There is actually more room in the Solstice than in the front seats of the last generation F-body (Trans-Am).
I increased the incline angle of the seat and slid the seat all the way back which left plenty of leg room and I still cleared the roof.
Now that my dealers #2 and #3 of 4 have arrived mine can't be far behind (it is #1 of 4) I really can't wait :willy:
Wow!..now that is big and tal!! ;)
I guess the fact that i'm claustrophobic everything felt and looked smaller/tighter, glad you fit :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Kid, I've taken my Solstice on a 300-mile ride (one way) and found the seats to be extremely comfortable. I am 6-0 and can wear my Stetson in the Solstice with the top up. Plenty of head-room. I like this car!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ya I got to sit in one last night myself and I must say I like the way the seats feel. Even though I did not move the seats from where the driver had them set. I like the way they felt. I was highly impressed by how they cradled me. I was impressed by the back window. In my caddy I have a small window compared to most cars. I was able to see out of the mirror with out seeing any of the window boarders. Which I can not do with my caddy. So I am not going to complain about the back window. And the views are great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts