Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at an '07 GXP. It has 97K miles and is priced at $9900. The condition of the interior looks excellent, exterior is also good except for a somewhat wide bumper-headlight gap and a hidden but nasty ding on the underside of the rocker panel. It drives well from what I could tell in a test drive. From the Carfax report it's a 1 owner car with regular maintenance at the dealer. The convertible top itself is in nice shape but the bushings holding the cables onto the "trap doors" are broken (as I understand it, this is a common problem).

My plan for the car is to drive it regularly in Michigan's warm months, but never when there is a chance of snow. Since I plan to modify the car at least up to the level of turbo upgrades, suspension, and wheels/tires, I anticipate a certain amount of downtime when other transportation will be required (this would be the fun/project car for autocross and sometimes casual drag strip trips).

With the above in mind, I have a few questions:

1) Is getting into a GXP with this mileage just a plain bad idea in general?
2) Does the price seem right for the mileage and condition?
3) Do those of you with modification experience on the LNF and this drivetrain think it's worth it to spend more on a lower mileage starting point from a durability perspective?

All help is appreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum

There are a lot of people finding very low mileage cars around. But the price for a low mileage car can be $7000 to $9000 more than the price you quoted. For a normal" car 97k miles means one could anticipate maybe another 100k miles out of the drivetrain without huge expensive repairs. The fact is that no one knows about the turbo kappa because not a lot of the fleet has seen high mileage

You sound like you know what you are getting into and are willing to do the work to keep the car running..
The price is pretty good for a well makntained 2.0 car. If it is a dealer, negotiate a few months warranty for any hidden faults. If a private party, see what their best price is and then decide.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I just went over 100k miles with my NA. No major problems. Original clutch and shocks still working. I would opine that it is just broken in good. Synthetic oil is a real friend to engines. Maybe a compression check to be sure it will suck, squeeze, bang, blow like it should.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The NAs seem go just keep going and going and . .. but the turbo cars with high mileage are few and far between. No reason to expect they will be a lot worse than the NAs however

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's a tough one. I think the year, mileage and price combo is reasonable. especially if it has the features you want and fits your budget. I'm financing both of mine and bought them both with what I considered low miles as they were to be my daily drivers and needed them to last the length of the note.

If you put 10k miles a year and are financing it 5 years then depending on how well the PO/PO's maintained it and the last guys reason for trading it, you could be in for some costly repairs.

I'd try and find another one with low miles (@ 40k) and take it for a test drive and see if there's any major differences. My 08 with 34k miles drove like a cadallac compared to my 06 with 46k miles.

if you're still interested, I'd be sure I hammered it real good while looking in the rearview mirror to check for blue smoke and give it a real good look. I'd also do a search and see what the guys with 100k miles are changing. A set of shocks is about $350 if you install and I'd want to change all fluids and look at all steering and suspension parts. Also plan for a waterpump change if it hasn't recently had one. Check intercooler and blow by too.

Good luck though.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Try and see if you can get a history of maintenance on the car.
Water pump replacement?.
High pressure pump?
Your K04 will need replacement soon.
If the clutch is the original you need to consider a replacement sometime in the future.
Hope it will give you a few thousand more miles before starting to add money in repairs.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hello everyone,

1) Is getting into a GXP with this mileage just a plain bad idea in general?
2) Does the price seem right for the mileage and condition?
3) Do those of you with modification experience on the LNF and this drivetrain think it's worth it to spend more on a lower mileage starting point from a durability perspective?

All help is appreciated! :)
1) No
2) Yes
3) Here you go:

First, welcome. Now we can get down to business. I would find out if the waterpump has been replaced as this is a VERY common issue. Now you said you want to do some "heavy" mods on the car. First off, what turbo? How much HP are you looking for? These engines are capable of pushing 800hp with the right mods. If your looking for over 400hp, mileage isn't going to matter as you're going to have to do internals on the motor after 400hp. Just remember, there is always ways, it's just about how much money you want to spend. Like I said, if you're planning on modding it that heavily, mileage shouldn't concern you.... Just make sure the body is in good condition. Another option for you would be find an NA car and super or turbo charge it....

Just to give an example, Tony from ASAP graphics has a 2.4L that's pushing 600+hp (I think he's closer to 800 if memory serves me correctly). I watched him SMOKE a Super Snake Mustang that the guy said dyno'd at 850hp...it was funny!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts