Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My console was cracking and after reading the forum I found it is a common problem. I searched the forum for solutions. I looked at the replacement fiberglass console and decided to try a less expensive approach that would also give me my original console appearance. I decided to try the Bondo 420 Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit - 1/2 Pint. This kit is available in many places with varying prices.
I decided to purchase at Wal-Mart for about fifteen dollars. I suggest that you cover the top of your console with plastic and tape to keep the resin from getting on that surface.
The kit has everything needed except I bought a small brush to put a coat of resin on the bottom of my console before applying the first layer of fiberglass cloth.
I also used a pair of needle nose pliers to pick up the fiberglass from the tray after coating with the resin and placed it on the console. Then take the plastic spreader and mixing stick in the kit to spread the cloth on the bottom of the console.
The kit has enough cloth for three layers. I used a pair of scissors to cut the cloth to fit around the clips. I took a pair of pliers and a pair of diagonal cutters and removed the plastic ridges from the bottom so the fiberglass will be against a flat surface on the bottom side of the console. I left the ridges in one corner as you can see in the photo.
Be sure to mix one third of the resin and use it with the first layer of cloth. I found the resin was hard by the time I had applied the first layer of cloth. I then used the same mixing tray for the resin for the next layer. The resin sets up fast so don't mix all the resin at one time. It dries in about two of hours. It takes about two days inside the car for the smell of the fiberglass to go away. I did the repair about two weeks ago. I put my arm and press on the console every time I get into my Solstice and it seems to be very sturdy now. I have included one photo. This is my first post and I hope I gave an explanation that is complete enough to be useful. If you use this method and take your time you will be very pleased with the results.

Bondo 420 Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit - 1/2 Pint.
1/2 Pint Kit Includes:
• 1/2 Pt (8 Oz) Fiberglass Resin
• .20 Oz Liquid Hardener
• Plastic Spreader
• Fiberglass Cloth
• Mixing Stick
• Mixing Tray
• Instruction Booklet

Photos:
http://sdrv.ms/NHPQev

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Missed this first time up. Nice writeup, thanks!

I pre-emptively struck with mine, by packing it underneath with expanding foam. But if it does crack anyway this is exactly what I'd thought to do. Thanks for the details and photos.

Note: you can link the photos inline in your post too, by linking direct to each image like this-

Just get the image URL and surround it with the [ IMG ] tags

·
Registered
220 Posts
Was that console hard to remove? I haven't had any problems with cracking, but there is an annoying rattle coming from somewhere in there that I'd like to attempt to fix. Did you just pull up on it & it released for you? Thank you!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
Was that console hard to remove? I haven't had any problems with cracking, but there is an annoying rattle coming from somewhere in there that I'd like to attempt to fix. Did you just pull up on it & it released for you? Thank you!
Pull up on the emergency brake as far as it'll go. Pull up on the rear to release the 2 rear clips, and the 2 front clips. Then lift up on the center of the front to release that center clip.

Reverse that to reinstall.

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pull up on the emergency brake as far as it'll go. Pull up on the rear to release the 2 rear clips, and the 2 front clips. Then lift up on the center of the front to release that center clip.

Reverse that to reinstall.

:dthumbs:
Thanks, Dave. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The console is easy to remove. Just raise the emergency brake handle. Pull upward on each side at the back to release the two clips and then slide toward the back and lift.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The console is easy to remove. Just raise the emergency brake handle. Pull upward on each side at the back to release the two clips and then slide toward the back and lift.
Awesome... thank you! Still haven't had a free second to check on that "squeaking".

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Is the squeak only with the top down by chance?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is the squeak only with the top down by chance?
No, it's whether the top is down or up. I know that I said that it was a "squeak", but it's more of a rattling noise. When I put pressure on the console w/my forearm the squeaking goes away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts