Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (gals?),

Once an order is placed for a car, is there any consumer facing mechanism that allows you to track the progress of your factory order - perhaps from Pontiac themselves? Or are we completely at the mercy of info trickling down from manufacturer to dealer to us?

·
5,641 Posts
Danno said:
Hey guys (gals?),

Once an order is placed for a car, is there any consumer facing mechanism that allows you to track the progress of your factory order - perhaps from Pontiac themselves? Or are we completely at the mercy of info trickling down from manufacturer to dealer to us?
You are completely at the mercy of info trickling down from the manufacturer to dealer to you.

·
5,641 Posts
Danno said:
Wow - you pulled that fast!
Yea, dosen't even show that the post was edited. Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Yea, dosen't even show that the post was edited. Hang in there.
You have something like 30 seconds after posting a post to edit it without the "has been edited" showing up. Any time after the first 30 seconds it'll tag it as edited.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Some dealers are much better than others at getting information too. Usually they know when the order has been accepted by the factory and readied for production. A dealer could certainly clarify it, but I think it is when they assign a VIN number. It shouldn’t take too long from that point to when your sitting behind the wheel!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Some dealers are much better than others at getting information too. Usually they know when the order has been accepted by the factory and readied for production. A dealer could certainly clarify it, but I think it is when they assign a VIN number. It shouldn’t take too long from that point to when your sitting behind the wheel!
I don't have my notes in front of me, but as soon it shows "Produced, 3800 code," it has a VIN. These units won't show on the regular screen though, b/c they are sold orders. Have to track through VOMS, as Sm. Dlr reminded me earlier this week. Usually takes about 1 week to ship, and 1 week to distibute, but 8 or 10 units to a truck, and only 1000 to ship, shouldn't take too long. I would assume that they will manufacture the west cost unit first so that the 1000 will hit the lots roughly the same time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the question is..... what's your best guess for initial deliveries?? (Go ahead, gimme your best guess - I wont hold you to it!)

·
Registered
338 Posts
mceb said:
July 10th (pure guess).
I would say that's the earliest, prolly 'tween there and end of July.

Hypothetically,
Start of prod 1st full week of Jun
20 units a day/1000 units = 50 days, or 10 weeks w/ no OT.

Say they increase productivty 10% each week, and cap at 40/day, sometime in the 6th week, that put's EOP final unit out sometime last week of July, shipping/marshalling takes 2 weeks, a logical guess would be the LAST unit will be delivered week of 15 AUG, if there are no snags in production, and all vendors hold up delivery commitments.

Best guess using logic and mfg past exp.

Steve

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm still hoping they'll get them out in time for the summer solstice (June 21). It would really look pretty stupid for GM to come out with a car named the solstice and then put it out so close to that time but not make it. Imagine releasing a product called the "Christmas" and then releasing it in January. Obviously there may be unavoidable delays, but I'm still thinking that's the date they're gunning for.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
pwr66569 said:
Imagine releasing a product called the "Christmas" and then releasing it in January.
Of course, Microsoft does that kind of thing all the time I guess with their 200x products. :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I say we will start getting delivery of the first 1000 by summer solstice...when is it this year...June 21 or 22? This is too much of a marketing bonanza that GM can't even try to ignore!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
I say we will start getting delivery of the first 1000 by summer solstice...when is it this year...June 21 or 22? This is too much of a marketing bonanza that GM can't even try to ignore!
But if the Aussies had any part in the design they would have been targeting WINTER solstice all along and so they are early to market :lol:

·
5,641 Posts
Don't worry, the Summer Solstice will not pass without Pontiac making note of the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts