Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new engine and was told by the seller to use conventional oil for the first 500miles then change oil for conventional for another 3000 miles and then after the 3500 miles, i could use synthetic. Question is, which oil do i use? I saw that 5w-30 is a synthethic and does not come in a conventional form.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
if your car has a turbo, then GM wants/demands that you use Mobil 1 or equivalent synthetic motor oil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if your car has a turbo, then GM wants/demands that you use Mobil 1 or equivalent synthetic motor oil
I got my engine from RPM-Motorsports and they told me that conventional oil for the first 3500 miles and i also read what youy mentioned. So im in a dilemma lol

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Just got a new engine and was told by the seller to use conventional oil for the first 500miles then change oil for conventional for another 3000 miles and then after the 3500 miles, i could use synthetic. Question is, which oil do i use? I saw that 5w-30 is a synthethic and does not come in a conventional form.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you
Mobil does make a 5W30 conventional oil. Mobil Super 5W30.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
I got my engine from RPM-Motorsports and they told me that conventional oil for the first 3500 miles and i also read what youy mentioned. So im in a dilemma lol
If RPM gave you a warrantee on the rebuilt engine, they may not honor it if you have not followed their recommendations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If RPM gave you a warrantee on the rebuilt engine, they may not honor it if you have not followed their recommendations.
Yea, they told me to go with conventional. Just looking for recommendations since i've always used mobil 1 5w-30 synthethic.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,194 Posts
the first batch of oil is good for about 40-60 min IMHO.then change the oil&filter for about 3 hours more then change the oil&filter. the cylinders and rings shed most of thier debris then.if the oil filter bypasses, or isant doing it's job well that debris go's to the bearings&lifters to set up for having lunch. how much is your engine worth? oil is cheep as are filters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the first batch of oil is good for about 40-60 min IMHO.then change the oil&filter for about 3 hours more then change the oil&filter. the cylinders and rings shed most of thier debris then.if the oil filter bypasses, or isant doing it's job well that debris go's to the bearings&lifters to set up for having lunch. how much is your engine worth? oil is cheep as are filters.
They already drove it about 250miles, so i guess they did that part. The reason why I'm asking is that i need a change at 500 miles and i'll probably reach that this weekend. So looking for a conventional oil because the ones i see are either "full synthetic" or "synthetic blend"

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,194 Posts
if it's got that many miles I wood stab it a few times then change oil&filter and use semi syn.then the next one syn. but I didnt machine or build the motor so it's kinda hard to know exzactly. my engines usually get the syn in the first week after 4 oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
I agree with Marksbug on this one. I have changed oil in some rebuilt and some new engines after as little as half an hour. it is also a good idea to cut the top and bottom off of the filter and unfold it so you can see what it caught. If there is anything left in there by the rebuilder you are going to filter it out pretty quickly.

If you can't find the Mobil conventional oil, there are many reputable name brand oils out there just as good as mobil. I personally use Mobil but don't be lulled into using a particular oil just because the engine mfgr. says to. They can have an ulterior motive.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
They already drove it about 250miles, so i guess they did that part. The reason why I'm asking is that i need a change at 500 miles and i'll probably reach that this weekend. So looking for a conventional oil because the ones i see are either "full synthetic" or "synthetic blend"

all this back and forth... and you still have not told us what kind of car you have: turbo or not ??
engines with a turbo demand synthetic , but a NA ( non-turbo ) engine does not.

In general, if RPM told you to do something, you should do it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
"I" have always been told to use NON-detergent as a break-in oil for the first 500 miles, and then use whatever i wanted.

Bill

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
OK you do know when you break in the engine what the idle down procedure is right?

If you want to break in an engine the proper way this is what you should do.

I don't remember the exact procedure and I would have to look it up, it has been a long time since I have done it. It is something to the following.
You only bring the car up to 10mph and then let off the gas leaving it in gear and let the engine slow the car down until the RPM's get to about 1000 and then push the clutch in. you do that a few times and then you move up to 20MPH and do the same thing. There are target RPM's to hit for specific gears that I don't remember.

Once you do this idle down procedure you dump the oil and send a sample out to have it analyzed. You tell the people doing the analysis that the engine is brand new and what you did on that sample of oil. The people that do the analysis are going to tell you when to change your oil again and at that point in time you send them a sample of that oil. They again will tell you when to change the oil and you will send a sample of that oil. This process will continue for as long as they continue to see a large amount of contaminants in the oil. They will be able to tell you if there is something wrong like a bearing not seating correctly or a ring scoring a cylinder wall well before a catastrophic failure occurs. Even the best engine builders in the world have had brand new engines fail within the first 1000 miles. You have to remember that as perfect as you can be there are simply things that you have no control over. It could be something like a poor casting or a weak spot in a casting.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
The procedure of "breaking in" an engine is not so much for the seating of parts as it is for the monitoring of potential assembly and parts problems and reducing a catastrophic failure that could cause the block to be destroyed or a head to be destroyed. It is for monitoring for excessive material in the oil and catching a problem and getting it fixed before that occurs.

·
Premium Member
17,248 Posts
Factory engines come out the assembly line with synthetic oil. They run well for many miles and years. If the rebuilt motor has been assembled with remanufactured parts like the cylinder bores then breaking in the rings may be needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts