Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a question for all the detail fanatics out there. I have never owned a convertable before, so what products should I use to clean and preserve my new top? I'm sorry if this thread is redundant, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
AeroDave said:
This is a question for all the detail fanatics out there. I have never owned a convertable before, so what products should I use to clean and preserve my new top? I'm sorry if this thread is redundant, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.
A lot of Miata owners have been using a product called RaggTopp. It's available for both vinyl and cloth tops, and supposedly cleans and conditions the material. I haven't tried it yet, but I've only heard good things about it. Supposedly, it is also popular with the Jeep crowd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
AeroDave said:
This is a question for all the detail fanatics out there. I have never owned a convertable before, so what products should I use to clean and preserve my new top? I'm sorry if this thread is redundant, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.
I couldn't find Ragg Topp locally in St. Louis so I purchased it over the internet from AutoGeek.com. They have a kit consisting of the cleaner and the protectant for $31.95 plus $7.99 shipping.

I'm waiting for a decent day to try it out.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Question is answered... :blush:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
rover said:
I couldn't find Ragg Topp locally in St. Louis so I purchased it over the internet from AutoGeek.com. They have a kit consisting of the cleaner and the protectant for $31.95 plus $7.99 shipping.

I'm waiting for a decent day to try it out.
I'm going to get that same kit soon too. Don't forget to clean the top first too. I hear using a soft brissle brush helps to break up dirt that's gotten into the fabric.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I have used Ragg Topp on my S2000 for 2 yrs now,it still looks brand new
go here. www.sportscarcare.com also its a good idea to keep your
seals around the top protected with silicon grease this keeps them moist
and protects from drying and cracking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, seems unanimous. I'll Try to find Ragg Topp. Thanks for the responses! :thumbs: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Does this product darken the material at all? I would like the top to be less grey and I can see it get lighter and lighter as the years go by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
What specific Raggtop product is used - Stay Fast or Twill fast? It looks like there are a dozen or so diferent products depending on the top material. The Solstice is not listed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
pwaiting said:
What specific Raggtop product is used - Stay Fast or Twill fast? It looks like there are a dozen or so diferent products depending on the top material. The Solstice is not listed.
Those names are specific product names for Haartz fabric/cloth tops. Solstice is a fabric/cloth top (not vinyl) so I think the Raggtopp fabric cleaner and protection applies to all their fabric tops.

http://raggtopp.com/
then choose fabric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Does this product darken the material at all? I would like the top to be less grey and I can see it get lighter and lighter as the years go by.

Get the cleaner and protectant this keeps the UVs from turning it grey.
It comes in a 2 bottle kit. around $26.00 mine usually last about a year
and i clean and protect mine alot
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Pulled this off the MyGMLink FAQ...

How should I care for my convertible top?

The convertible top should be cleaned often. However, high pressure car washes may cause water to enter the vehicle. After washing and thoroughly rising the vehicle, let the top dry in direct sunlight. Using a chamois or cloth to dry the top may leave lint. Never store the top when it is wet or if there are already objects in the storage area. Also, do not operate the rear defogger when the top is stored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Another good site for car care product is Proper Auto Care . Most of the good stuff is pricy but is you want your Sol looking its best...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
The Raggtop stuff is THE stuff to use. Use it now, while your cars are new, and you won't even have to bother with the cleaner. On a new car I'd actually avoid using the cleaner just to limit wear from scrubbing.

Properly applied, the Raggtop product behaves like Scotchguard - water will actually bead to the point of puddling on the top. Do be careful to follow directions. Raggtop is a mineral spirit product. You need to carefully mask off your paint, and if overspray does get on it, get it washed off fast.

I have a '00 f-bod vert.. the top material is the same. It's an excellent top really, same as used by Audi and Mazda.

No automatic car washes. No harsh scrubbing. Use Raggtop = very happy top.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top