Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a softtop roadster just like the Solstice. It has the same trunk configuration and the manual top to match. A 2000 Prowler.

I was caught in the rain with my car just 1 time. Yes, the top on the Solstice may do just the same leak. When these tops are fitted ther is only so much that can be done to balance the usefulness of the top and its life. All fabric tops will shrink with age, so your New top will not fit as tight as one would expect. The Prowler has only 4K on the clock and we intend to not drive it in the rain again. In the 5 years of ownership I can see that the top will not fully seal against the rain ingress.

I hope the technology has changed since 2000, and that the top on the Solstice will seal out the elements for the guys that intend for the car to be a Daily Driver.

S.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I steal my mom's 97 Miata M from time to time, never had a problem with leaks on rainy day or her 92 Miata when she had that. Did have leak on my 89 GTA, thought it was my t-tops. Had to replace the windshield and it ended up that it wasn't sealed properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2003 sebring conv with 48k on it. I drive it in Chicago weather which is rain, snow and than some and I do not have any problem with the top.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Audi_Fan said:
I have a softtop roadster just like the Solstice. It has the same trunk configuration and the manual top to match. A 2000 Prowler.
How do you like your Prowler?

It's one of the few cars that I never get bored looking at. It's certainly in my top 10 beautiful cars list.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From a hardcore vert owner...if it is above 60 degrees...the heater can take care of the cold kind of guy...The secret to rain...with 2 seaters...is to drive through it unless it is just an all out downpour. Unfortunately in this part of the country...what is a sprinkle one minute can be a hailstorm the next! You learn to judge your showers well!!

I'll say this though...if you put the top up and down ALOT it will leak at the joints on the seals...just a fact of life and a fact of convertible ownership. Just like T-tops...I can replace the seals and align the tops and GUARANTEE it won't leak...unless you take them off again. There is only so much you can do with a convertible to keep out water. GM will tell you to coat all rubber seals on a periodic basis with dielectric grease. This keeps the seals soft and pliable and also keeps them from sticking to each other and various hard surfaces they may touch. It works great and is a good maintenance routine to adopt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Luc said:
How do you like your Prowler?

It's one of the few cars that I never get bored looking at. It's certainly in my top 10 beautiful cars list.

Luc - The Prowler is a great looker and always attracts crowds. With so few of them in existance there is alwas the question, "What kind of car it that?" Mine is Black and we try to be inconspicuous, it rarely works. I have always been attracted to the Coupe look and this car blends elements of many of my favourites. Open wheels on this car is the obvious attraction to many people. Its a great Boulevard Cruiser. It is so much like the Solstice Approx 2800 lbs and of course a Roadster. Solstice has the benefit of a 5 speed that the Prowler only has 4 Sp Auto-Stick. The Prowler was purchased without a test drive, which in the past I have ordered 3 vahicles before ever driving them. The Solstice is my 4th order before drive purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts