Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a convertible before. Aside from the regular car maintenance, does a convertible need additional care?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Avoid, if you can, all birds. Don't let the droppings sit too long (of course good info for painted surface, too) Becaus it is cloth it is not 100% impervious to outside elements. Acid rain will also affect it. Use less soap on top than you use on rest of car and leave top up and latched until it is completely dry. You don't want it to shrink as it dries. Cloth shouldn't shrinnk as musch as vinyl, but why take a chance. I know there are seam protector liquids available for tents but I don't know if application of that on seams of vert top would help or not.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Also, keep it clean. Especially if you are putting it up and down a lot. If its dirty when your operating it, the dirt on it will act like sandpaper and increase wear on the material.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I've heard that the newer teflon sprays might be a good thing to use on cloth to prevent staining and improve rain shedding - though CAUTION: this is just what I've heard, I don't know if they recommend using stainguard on exterior sun-exposed surfaces.

If anyone knows if this is right or wrong, just thought I'd throw this in.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'll have to get me some of that 303 Cloth protector stuff. Sounds good.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
I've heard that the newer teflon sprays might be a good thing to use on cloth to prevent staining and improve rain shedding - though CAUTION: this is just what I've heard, I don't know if they recommend using stainguard on exterior sun-exposed surfaces.

If anyone knows if this is right or wrong, just thought I'd throw this in.
It sounds like the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is a stainguard. They say it's ok to use for in the sun, but just like waxing your car you're not supposed to apply it in the sun or hot area since it can cause discoloration. But after it's cured it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
The good thing about the Solstice is the cover for the top. My Miata has a tonneau which is a real pain to carry along with you and to install. The end result is that I tend to not install the tonneau when I am only going for a short drive. Over the four years I have owned the Miata, the underside of the black top has faded into a dark brown as a result of the sun on it when it's folded down but not covered. I'll take the trunk cover any day over the tonneau even with the reduction in trunk space. :patriot:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Just as an FYI, Jeep recommends against putting any chemicals on the top of my Wrangler because it can clog the bores in the material causing it to wear out faster (I assume from heat buildup in the material). The recommend just frequent washing with mild soap and water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be very careful with spraying on a Scotchguard like chemical without knowing for certain how it affects the material with UV exposure. A while back, GM had offered Scothguard on their cloth seats. They discontinued it partially because the seats tended to fade noticably faster than untreated seats. This may be even worse on the top with constant exposure (for those without garages!). The sprays may be better nowadays, just suggesting you do some research before you spray.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've never owned a 'vert either, and top care scares the crapola out of me. It's 2005 and instead of rocketing around in hovercars, we're still putting canvas tops on environment destroying hydrocarbon burning death traps. Cool, yes; logical, no. My take on raggtop care? By the time the top begins to visibly deteriorate and lose function (about 45 min. after the warranty runs out), a hardtop will be available and you will be ready for a change anyway. :yesnod:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Luc said:
Are convertibles generally ok in car washes or should I stay away from them?
I'd think you would be fine going through the car wash in it. I don't know yet whether the Sol will leak any in the car wash, but most modern verts generally don't leak in car washes anymore. Top sealing has gotten very good.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
One thing I learned the hard way with my Sebring, there are no rain channels on a convertible top.

The first time you drive through a Burger King in a rain and lower the window, you're in for a shock... :lol:

Also, avoid the 'super high pressure' brushless car washes, the problem is the seal between the window and the top. When that firehose hits it, it nails you right in the face!

Most regular car washes are o.k. though.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
One thing I learned the hard way with my Sebring, there are no rain channels on a convertible top.

The first time you drive through a Burger King in a rain and lower the window, you're in for a shock... :lol:

Also, avoid the 'super high pressure' brushless car washes, the problem is the seal between the window and the top. When that firehose hits it, it nails you right in the face!

Most regular car washes are o.k. though.
I found similar situation with my Ram 2500. The aircraft style doors don't incorporate any gutters when you open the doors and not only rain but snow falls on the seat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I'd think you would be fine going through the car wash in it. I don't know yet whether the Sol will leak any in the car wash, but most modern verts generally don't leak in car washes anymore. Top sealing has gotten very good.
This will probably be stated in the Manual. As pointed out it depends on the car wash, I would never take my car to a brush wash as it can scratch but the brushless are high pressure and it says right in the S2000 manual this is a NO NO, the seals are designed to keep rain out no 200psi of water pressure. Even spraying your hose directly on the seal can result in a small dribble in the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts