Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Convertible or Coupe?

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
i never had a convertable and i'm looking forward to it. one convertable owner i know explaiins it like this " if i'm stuck in a traffic jam in a convertable and the top is down and the radio is on i think to myself-there really isn't anywhere else i'd rather be. sometimes i'm disappointed to arrive at my destination because the best part about going somewhere is the drive"

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great but it all depends where you live. I would have limited use of the top because of the weather. It is cold for 7 months of the year and it is raining so often you might only get to have the top down 10 - 20 times per year? I need to move to Fla or Ca!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ahhh, but just think AJC, at least you can drop the top ! Those will be the days you'll be especially glad you got it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i don't want a convertible so badly that i'll make my own coupe out if they don't offer one. the bad news is that it doesn't look like the kappa chassis would allow the flexibility to also offer a coupe AND reduce weight. a dedicated coupe would be both lighter AND stiffer.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'm here because this is only the second small 2-seat RWD that GM has ever made. I actually feel better if it were a coupe, but looks like they did this one right - right bits, suspension, decent engine... the fact that it is a convertible really doesn't do much for me. Remember, this is just an opinion poll, we all have our priorities.

I would probably be just as active on a site for GM's return to mid/rear engine RWD small engine car (Fiero II? Pegasus?).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
I'm here because this is only the second small 2-seat RWD that GM has ever made. I actually feel better if it were a coupe, but looks like they did this one right - right bits, suspension, decent engine... the fact that it is a convertible really doesn't do much for me. Remember, this is just an opinion poll, we all have our priorities.

I would probably be just as active on a site for GM's return to mid/rear engine RWD small engine car (Fiero II? Pegasus?).
I am sure I don't have to say it, since most people here would certainly have guessedit. I definately would be here if it were a mid engine 2 seater, coupe or convertable. Heck, it could be the Solstice as a coupe and no ragtop, and I'd be here! :thumbs

I'd go with Pegasus for that new mid engine car myself. Fiero brings too many bad memories with it, and Pegasus would allow them to update and continue to use the same crest to link it back to the Fiero! :cool

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I really miss having a convertible. My favorite driving condition was a dry Texas summer night at about 78 to 80 degrees. It felt so good at any speed. 74 and humid could get cold in a hurry.

·
5,600 Posts
Roadster all the way. :patriot

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Roadsters rule!

A S2000 has more appeal than a Del Sol.
MG built both roadster and coupe on same separate chassis. Most convertible versions of coupe/sedan have to have too many #'s added to keep rigidity - but a car like the Kappa platform whic was designed as a roadster and coupe from the beginning don't suffer from flex issues or excess weight. We may never see it but remember the concept Solstice was shown in both versions.

Besides Bob Lutz for the Solstice we need to thank Lee Iacocca who was responsible for the return of convertibles by North American car companies.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
achieftain said:
Roadsters rule!

MG built both roadster and coupe on same separate chassis. Most convertible versions of coupe/sedan have to have too many #'s added to keep rigidity - but a car like the Kappa platform whic was designed as a roadster and coupe from the beginning don't suffer from flex issues or excess weight. We may never see it but remember the concept Solstice was shown in both versions.

Besides Bob Lutz for the Solstice we need to thank Lee Iacocca who was responsible for the return of convertibles by North American car companies.
And what about '63 'Vette? The convertible vs. split-window? Which is the most desirable car today? (answer: the split-window coupe!)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
Roadsters rule!

That is a good point. The roadsters made on converted platforms generally carry a lot of weight, and are bigger than an ideal small car roadster. The unibody structures need a lot of reinforcement when the roof comes off, which adds those pounds.

I also think design can suffer too. When trying to make the car smaller on a larger car platform to accommodate the roadster, it can compromise design. The 350Z’s tail end is fairly large and wide, owing in part to the limitations of its platform. The Audi TT has a great design, but it too is inhibited by both a little too much weight for its size and also some un-roadster like driving and handling characteristics which are a result of its VW Golf platform.

The Del Sol isn’t even in the same league. It was FWD. Still, a better design than its plain jain looks would have helped it with people looking for a fun 2 seater who didn’t care about the FWD, but that drivetrain layout would never allow it to be a serious competitor to a RWD roadster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts