Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a 2007 Solstice and we love it. The car is in perfect shape, with one exception, the top. It is a silver car with a tan top which I think is odd. It needs replaced and we want to replace it with a black top. Where can I find a top and who can I get to install it. It sounds difficult. I live in NC. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Internet search for a good used top or check out salvage yards that part out the cars. Hard to find a parting out car but not impossible. Shipping of a complete top would be quite expensive. Check out your local Chevy dealer and see if they can get the complete top and frame or just the canvas top. Find a automotive upholstery shop or maybe a street rod upholstery place and they can install the canvas. I use a street rod/custom car upholstery shop and they do fantastic work. I found a good used top for my car about a two hour drive from my house. It did have one tiny bad spot on the leading edge where it meets the windshield frame but is totally hidden when the top is up. Removal/installation was no big deal for me. A few bolts removed and with help, pop it out or in. I have heard it was a hard job to do and required special alignment. On my '06, there are a couple of pins that locate the top frame in position. Maybe do a search on this site for installation specs. I posted some pictures as I put my top back on. I still have the original top which is in storage right now. It does have damage on the leading edge due to the original owner not putting the top down correctly and the latching mechanism nailing it in that spot. Again, do a search on the for sale area and you may find my posting when I was trying to sell it. Has pictures of damage. I have the two book GM service manual for the '07 Solstice and that sure saves the day when it comes to figuring out how to remove/repair/replace.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
This salvage back half Solstice has been on Ebay for awhile, $800. Pick up only Cleveland TN:
2006 Pontiac Solstice for Parts Door Quarter Panels Top and Frame Rear Bumper | eBay

I'd contact the seller and ask if he'd be willing to separate the top from the car, plus ask what kind of condition its in. If the top is in good condition and he wants $800 for the back clip, I'd think you could get the top for half of that.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
A word of caution, there are two different tops for our card. Type one and type two. They are not interchangeable.

You can buy a top assembly which is easily replaceable with about six bolts. Take out the old and drop in the new. It has been done by many owners.

Check GMR stock for the right top in black and do a search for the best price.

Get one with the acoustic liner too

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
forgot about the two tops thing! I once went to the local Chevy dealer to get something for the top and to make sure we ordered the correct part, had to have the VIN to verify which part was the right one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts