Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned it briefly a while back on the Sky forum when I posted about my top swap and I didn’t get much traction, but out of curiosity, has anyone here ever touched up a scratch on their interior top frame? I swapped out my top assembly from a totaled GXP that had low miles and was in excellent condition, but the interior frame was scratched above the driver’s door and the aluminum is showing.

I would like to touch it up, but it looks like the frame is powder coated so I don’t know how well paint will work. I’ve searched both here and the Sky forum and haven’t found anything, any other ideas or has anyone else come up with a fix for this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Out of curiosity, I'd humbly ask for you to take plenty of detailed pictures of what you're describing so that we may better help you with your situation, thanks!

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Not a specific "fix" but I do know that aluminum begins to oxidize almost instantly. If you do plan on painting it you'll need to scuff the surface with a fine sandpaper and primer and/or paint nearly immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Don't know if it is powder coat or not but if it is, you can paint it with no problem if you prep it as chickenwire suggested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Out of curiosity, I'd humbly ask for you to take plenty of detailed pictures of what you're describing so that we may better help you with your situation, thanks!
I have several I tried to attach, but the forum didn't seem to let me on my phone for some reason. I’m guessing as this has something to do with this is my first post here although I’ve lurked for several months. I'll try and upload a few in a follow post if let's me.
Not a specific "fix" but I do know that aluminum begins to oxidize almost instantly. If you do plan on painting it you'll need to scuff the surface with a fine sandpaper and primer and/or paint nearly immediately.
It most likely does have some oxidization as I have no idea when or how the scratch occurred. It was there when I picked up the top. Considering it was sitting in a salvage yard it may have occurred there or from the PO. I’ve painted aluminum and plastic body parts before so I’m familiar with the process. It's textured so this should make blending easier. I'm not sure the paint code as it doesn't seem to match any other part of the car. I'm still suspicious it's powder coated as I thought I read that somewhere once.
Don't know if it is powder coat or not but if it is, you can paint it with no problem if you prep it as chickenwire suggested.
I agree, but I have had issues in the past painting powder coating and it eventually peeling even with prep work. Although those pieces were exterior and exposed to elements and this is not.
Updated to add pictures:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Convertible top interior trim panel

I don't know if you can buy this item and swap them out?? It looks involved.
#RobTheElder
It would be very involved actually. Before I bought this top I had purchased another one for $100 that I found locally that needed some work that I thought I would give it a shot. Part of that work was removing the canvas partially from the frame. And even after that I still didn’t have that piece fully removed. I ended up selling that top for what I paid for it and decided to quit being cheap and I bought this one. Since this top is pretty much pristine otherwise, I would prefer not to do that and just touch it up some how. I can tell you that a sharpie does not match that’s for sure.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would definitely try matte paint with a textured media in it, applied with small artists brushes, before I swapped that out. Go to a craft store.

Love the color of the car by the way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would definitely try matte paint with a textured media in it, applied with small artists brushes, before I swapped that out. Go to a craft store.

Love the color of the car by the way
That was pretty close to my thought too. I wish there was something removable on it or another part of the car even that was the same so I could remove and color match. It’s going to be a challenge for sure. That’s why I was hoping someone else perhaps has already done the leg work and knew exactly what was the fix. Wishful thinking I know, but the collective knowledge here is always impressive.

Thanks BTW, it’s just Saturn Bluestone, but it always seems to look completely different in every picture I take.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Hah! I never realized that that piece was solid aluminum! Always thought is was a plastic cover over a metal frame. After 11 years of ownership, too!

... and going off topic a bit, I have always wondered why GM didn't make the top of that front part solid instead of canvas. Would've been more secure from vandals/thieves and less to worry about from a maintenance perspective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hah! I never realized that that piece was solid aluminum! Always thought is was a plastic cover over a metal frame. After 11 years of ownership, too!

... and going off topic a bit, I have always wondered why GM didn't make the top of that front part solid instead of canvas. Would've been more secure from vandals/thieves and less to worry about from a maintenance perspective.
Wow TS, it's an honor to have taught you something new.

As to why GM didn't make this piece solid? I'm guessing with everything on our cars it came down to time and money. I have a couple of friends that have Tesla's and there is whole following of the odd things they find related to saving time and money on their cars. I read this one yesterday about Tesla using actual pieces of wood trim to support the strapping for the liquid cooling condenser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Black Nail Polish
I'm completely open to this if I could find one that matches. It's such an odd color. You can see in my pics where I tried a sharpie at first. In person it didn't look too bad until I hit it with a light and then it was obviously not that black.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow just have to say your Sky is stunning. It looks incredible
Thanks, it's a 10 foot car for sure. It looks great from 10 feet away and then if you get closer you see all the rock chips and door dings. My downfall is I'm too much of a perfectionist so there is some paint work in it's future. I have no earthly idea what the PO's did to this car to get the exterior in this condition it's only a 60k mile car too.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks, it's a 10 foot car for sure. It looks great from 10 feet away and then if you get closer you see all the rock chips and door dings.
Dr. Colorchip? Might be a happy medium, short term.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
I'm completely open to this if I could find one that matches. It's such an odd color. You can see in my pics where I tried a sharpie at first. In person it didn't look too bad until I hit it with a light and then it was obviously not that black.
Get a bottle of white nail polish and do some mixing you might come up with a pretty good match plus the brush in the bottle makes it easy to apply .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks, it's a 10 foot car for sure. It looks great from 10 feet away and then if you get closer you see all the rock chips and door dings. My downfall is I'm too much of a perfectionist so there is some paint work in it's future. I have no earthly idea what the PO's did to this car to get the exterior in this condition it's only a 60k mile car too.

I am right there with you. I am the 5th owner of my Solstice and I tell you, if I was the original owner, the car would look immaculate. Definitely looks like some owners before me didn't take nearly as much pride as I do in owning it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts