Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I first got my car back in August it's been having this weird stain on the top. At first I thought it was oil, I tried everything. At this point I'm certain it's some sort of melt. I live in Southern California so it isn't like there is extreme heat, but it sure feels sticky. I'm too lazy to step outside and take a proper photo but you can pretty much tell from this one

the lighter spots on top. It's pretty noticeable really. Anything I can do other than having the top sent off for re canvasing :brentil:?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
You sure it's not just something that's been deposited on the surface? I can see how the top would melt with anything other than extreme heat (and then you'd know it for sure).

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the PO tried to clean it with something and caused it to slowly "melt". These are cloth tops and cloth doesn’t really melt from heat. It will burn or catch fire. I bet they used some sort of water-proofing on the top that is causing this issue….

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
I have seen similar before. I think it's glue or ? Bleeding through the fabric. I used a soft towel and mild solvent to scrub most of it off the canvas

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Appears to be concentrated on the beams/supports. Those areas would have higher residual heat under sunlight. If it feels sticky it could indeed be something that had been used to treat the top or as Rob said something coming up from underneath.

If "normal" cleaning doesn't work I would trying lighter fluid. No matter what you use, be sure to treat the fabric after cleaning to protect it.

See the "raggtop versus 303" threads for an ad-nauseum review on which to use. lol

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I had something like that on the top on the 06 and use fast orange with pumice to get it out. Breaks it down then washes away clean. after that I used meguiers cleaner / protectant on it and it seems to have worked.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll definitely try that. Even today I keep finding a lot of nasty "fixes" left by the past owners. Like silicone on the thermostat gasket... tf...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts