1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single layer? Double? Triple?

Insulated?

What is made from?

Any info is appreciated. If it isn't insulated, it could get a little chilly drivin a Sol in Northeast, especially late fall/early spring. It would also be noisy.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Steel Insane said:
Single layer? Double? Triple?

Insulated?

What is made from?

Any info is appreciated. If it isn't insulated, it could get a little chilly drivin a Sol in Northeast, especially late fall/early spring. It would also be noisy.
I don't have exact specs, although I believe it is not lined. Don't worry about temperature, however, as any decent HVAC system should keep it toasty warm inside. Jeeps with uninsulated tops are warm inside even at 0 degrees (F). I have yet to encounter a weak heater on a domestic. The Sol should be fine.

Noise on the other hand will be a little higher, but if you don't mind the noise with the top down, it should be ok with it up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As FF88 said we know it's not lined. However we don't know how many layers the cloth is. We do know the cloth is made by Haartz.

Also being a small car it wouldn't take most HVAC systems to cool/heat the space to a nice temperature.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have yet to encounter a weak heater on a domestic. The Sol should be fine.
Obviously you've never ridden in the last F-body. Most convoluted HVAC plenum imaginable. AC evaporator is 18" in front of the firewall. Add to that heater hoses that are almost impossible to be kept properly bled. Who would've thought I'd be fighting vapor lock in this millennium!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Obviously you've never ridden in the last F-body. Most convoluted HVAC plenum imaginable. AC evaporator is 18" in front of the firewall. Add to that heater hoses that are almost impossible to be kept properly bled. Who would've thought I'd be fighting vapor lock in this millennium!QUOTE]

English man!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
English man!
Too True! Never fully realized why the coldest, wettest country had tops that leaked, heaters that didn't work and wipers that shorted out at the first drop of rain till I was told. "Stiff upper lip, man. Stiff upper lip!"

·
Registered
600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The Sol should be fine.

Noise on the other hand will be a little higher, but if you don't mind the noise with the top down, it should be ok with it up.
Noise, noise, bring on the noise. I want to hear one soon!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The HVAC in my Chevy S10 is more than enough to take care of that 2 seater cab, which is probably bigger than the space in the Solstice. If it is an equivalent system, which it probably is, it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have a 2000 Miata. I was concerned about the uninsulated top being cold in the winter, but found even a small heater keeps the car more than comfortable. There should not be a problem with the Sol, it's heater should be typical GM (blast furnace).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Obviously you've never ridden in the last F-body. Most convoluted HVAC plenum imaginable. AC evaporator is 18" in front of the firewall. Add to that heater hoses that are almost impossible to be kept properly bled. Who would've thought I'd be fighting vapor lock in this millennium!
There is an exception to every rule and the last f-body is not exactly the best example of all domestic vehicles. For one, it also had a big hump in the passenger footwell for the exhuast. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The new Pontiac Solstice is equiped with a 3 layer composite Acrylic cloth top material. All of the details about the vehicle are not published or decided and as with most new projects, modifications, changes and alterations are continiously made in the first years production.
The exact same top material is used on the the new Mazda Miata MX5, and is also scheduled for the sister vehicle to the Solstice, the Saturn Sky. Similar but not exactly the same there are many vehicles that use 3 ply cloth composites all the way from BMW / Audi / Jaguar to the Ford Mustang GT & Cobra editions. The 3 ply composite is really the workhorse of the industry. The top that is on the Solstice should provide years of great service under normal conditions. The question regarding acoustics all depends on how GM handles either inner headliner or pad materials, and how the design of top and body are done.
;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts