Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 2006 Solstice one of the 1st 1000 made. I'm looking for a used convertible top. Does anyone have one or should I check junkyards?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Please check the 'For Sale' section on these forums :)

Congratulations on your car by the way

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
You need to read the thread describing the two different configurations for the top. Later ones will not fit your car without changing the windshield seal

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
You need to read the thread describing the two different configurations for the top. Later ones will not fit your car without changing the windshield seal
Have you proven that? I have one of each, and they look like they will work interchangeably, but I haven't tested it yet.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
See Attached, how to identify Plan A and Plan B tops/weatherstrips. Also has VIN breakpoints for the different tops/weatherstrips.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
See Attached, how to identify Plan A and Plan B tops/weatherstrips. Also has VIN breakpoints for the different tops/weatherstrips.
This illustrates that a Plan A weatherstrip cannot be used to replace a Plan B weatherstrip, as the interface with the windscreen frame is different.
It has separately been shown that parts internal to a Plan A top are not interchangeable with internal parts from a Plan B top.
The question is whether a Plan A top will work on a car with a Plan B weatherstrip (and vice-versa), because externally they look to be the same.
I have been told that they will.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi! I have a 2006 Solstice one of the 1st 1000 made. I'm looking for a used convertible top. Does anyone have one or should I check junkyards?
I have a spare used 2006 top, I was keeping it for a spare but if someone needs it I am open to parting with it. Depends on your location as shipping the entire top & frame would be expensive. I am in S/E Michigan.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
I have not tried it mostly because the factory literature describing the two types stated that they are not interchangeable. But you raise an interesting point

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
It has separately been shown that parts internal to a Plan A top are not interchangeable with internal parts from a Plan B top.
The question is whether a Plan A top will work on a car with a Plan B weatherstrip (and vice-versa), because externally they look to be the same.
I have been told that they will.
My reading of the document I posted indicates that a Plan B top will not work with a Plan A weatherstrip, and a Plan A top will not work with a Plan B weatherstrip.

YMMV

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
I have not tried it mostly because the factory literature describing the two types stated that they are not interchangeable. But you raise an interesting point
My reading of the document I posted indicates that a Plan B top will not work with a Plan A weatherstrip, and a Plan A top will not work with a Plan B weatherstrip..
I read it differently, but you could well be correct. I do have a spare Plan B top, as well as both a Plan A and Plan B car, so I guess it is time to stop thinking about it and actually check it. Stay tuned.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
The concern I had with those guys is that they need your old top and they do not remove it from the frame or attach the new one to the frame. R&R of the canvas is not a trivial operation.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Yes, they don't want your frame, only the canvas top "and some of the cables". Sounds like they are making you a new canvas cover that you then need to install on the frame

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Interestingly enough I was looking for a local shop to install a subwoofer in my son's pickup as a birthday gift and asked about a top for the Solstice. His catalog showed nothing available but called a supplier and they said they could get the fabric. $2,200.00 total installed and they ask the installer for $800.00 for a "core charge". He said that was really rare.

I told him given the scarcity of the whole assemblies I wasn't surprised.

·
Registered
335 Posts
any body seen a cool sliver with a tan top???wonder how it wood look....I have a plan a....unless it's been changed over...witch I had read could be done if all of the seals were changed....but....it's the internetwebb and......there is usulay a fly in the oinkment....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts