Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 convertible Solstice and the top has started to bumble. It looks silly and I would love to get it fixed. Any ideas on how to diy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Attaching myself.
I'm having the same or similar issue.
My convertible top is coming up about 1/2" short. This is causing the pins to not fully seat and the latch to not fully engage.
I've seen forum posts on how to make adjustments, but they're usually so old that the photos that accompanied them are no longer available.
Can anyone please advise?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome to the forum LawDawg.

First thing I‘d check if I were you, would be the tulip panel flaps and make sure the top isn’t getting caught up with them. As you move the top up, the flaps must move forward first and rest against the tulip panel. The inner canvas insulation then rests behind the flaps.

If they aren’t moving ahead of the fabric, simply manually move them in, then allow the top to slowly rest on them.

Also, pics/video will help members know better what you’re experiencing.

·
Premium Member
18,091 Posts
Attaching myself.
I'm having the same or similar issue.
My convertible top is coming up about 1/2" short. This is causing the pins to not fully seat and the latch to not fully engage.
I've seen forum posts on how to make adjustments, but they're usually so old that the photos that accompanied them are no longer available.
Can anyone please advise?
With the top in the trunk, stand next to the forward edge of the trunk. Inside on the back (forward) wall of the trunk, you will find a round rubber stopper that forms the head of a bolt with a lock nut on it. There is one on each side. Loosen the lock nut and screw the stop in, toward the front of the car, and you will reduce the tension on the top. Do both sides. This will allow the front edge of the top to travel forward more and should solve your issue.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,371 Posts
What does it mean when a fabric soft top "bubbles"?
Never heard that description before. Pictures would be great...
Ether way welcome to the forum Robin19 and Lawdawg!

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all,
Just wanted to say thank you guys all very much for your help so far.
Per Super Serg's recommendation, I snapped some pics yesterday.
Maybe Robin19 can use these photos as a base to explain her issue, too.

I have a feeling Rob The Elder is on the right path with the idea of running down the rubber stoppers (pictured).
Super Serg is also correct with the tulip comment, as the tulip flaps are not flipping up on their own, the cables have become disconnected, and so need to be moved manually.
You can see that I need about a full half inch, which is every bit as much adjustment as the stoppers have, so hopefully there's enough there to resolve the issue.

Here's the photos if you guys want to see to make more accurate predictions.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Hand Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Hood
Tints and shades Personal protective equipment Human leg Chair Sleeve
Hood Shade Fender Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure I can help you since I am unsure of the exact problem you are
Not sure I can help you since I am unsure of the exact problem you are having.
The top is not attached to the 2 frame pieces, therefore when driving the top bubbles up or domes up. Love my Pontiac just looks silly driving down the road.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,371 Posts
The top is not attached to the 2 frame pieces, therefore when driving the top bubbles up or domes up. Love my Pontiac just looks silly driving down the road.
I would not recommend to drive the car with the top up in that condition if at all possible until it is fixed.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Did you notice (second photo) that your bracket and attachment plastic clip are just loose down there below the flap hinge?

You will have to reattach both black brackets to your tulip flaps and reposition the cable ends inside the red and purple plastic clips.

I can't see clearly from the picture, but the side with the red plastic clip -- is the cable still attached to the black metal bracket?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,683 Posts
When the top folds up those 2 gray flaps behind the seats are supposed to lift up. If the cable has stretched and there is too much slack or the "lock rod" retainer has broken and the cable has come undone those flaps are not going to lift up when you put the top up. This causes the top to push into the flap and usually breaks the hinges on it and you will have to locate new ones. I can see in one of the photos that the flap is not in the correct position and has it's hinge either broken or it has popped off. This is what is causing the top to not close all the way. The flaps are getting in the way. I would remove the flaps until you have all of the required pieces to correct the problem. You will not be able to fold the top up easily with them in place and it will be really hard to do if both flaps are broken. Better to remove them then to cause further damage.

As far the "bubble" in the top. This sounds like the material is not properly installed on the vehicle. If it is doing that when you drive down the road this is because the fabric is not tight. You will get a little bit of puff up of a convertible top fabric when driving and this is 100% normal but it "bubbling" to the point of looking like there is something really wrong, that is an issue.

For both people with top problems in this topic I would discontinue use of the vehicle until you can get the problems sorted out. Last thing you would want is the top getting ripped off when driving at highway speeds. This could cause an accident if the material separates form the vehicle and lands on another car possibly blocking their view. The possibility of this happening would be pretty slim, there is still a chance it can. It would also cause quite a bit of damage to your car even if the top stays attached to the car. Not worth the chance, get it repaired.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
4 Posts
Light Automotive tire Wood Musical instrument Line

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Chair Hood Automotive lighting

UPDATE:
So i adjusted the stoppers, putting them all the way in.
The gap size still appears to be the same.
If I really push hard, I can get the top to shove up further, I still have that half inch amount that I need the top to come forward.
Here's some pics I took after the adjustment.
Any other ideas on how to get it to come forward?
Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about the tulip panel flap doors? It is likely that they are the key to this issue.
I guess I don't fully understand the Tulip Flap system. I'll record a video of it later, upload to youtube, then post here.
I see your questions you posted earlier, hopefully the video will resolve the questions.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I guess I don't fully understand the Tulip Flap system. I'll record a video of it later, upload to youtube, then post here.
I see your questions you posted earlier, hopefully the video will resolve the questions.
Thanks again for your help.
Great idea. Make that video and post it up here, and folks will chime in with information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts