Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there!

Anyone have a source (or at least, a GM part number) for the weatherstripping that goes across the windshield on the convertibles? Mine is torn close to the driver's side top latch area. I'm guessing the top was pushed into it somehow (dragged across it while raising it?) by the previous owner.

I checked Rock Auto and eBay but neither had anything. I'd bet GM has it but I thought I'd ask around first.

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
shreve1 : Here you go

2009 GENUINE PONTIAC SOLSTICE COUPE FRONT ROOF WEATHER STRIP | eBay
That part is listed as "Coupe Only. Will not fit Convertible."

When mine was replaced under warranty right after I got the car, the GM price was $500+.

Depending on the size of the tear, you can heal it with some black RTV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this thread is ancient, but I need the top-of-windshield weather stripping as well and I'm wondering if they are available anywhere these days.....

......any help sourcing this part will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I know this thread is ancient, but I need the top-of-windshield weather stripping as well and I'm wondering if they are available anywhere these days.....

The last time I saw one for sale, it was over #350.00. Haven't seen any since then. Did find something that may work. On my car, it is the rubber right above the latch that is split. I haven't tried it yet, but there is a company that sells the hollow EDPM rubber strips by the foot. They make one seal that is D shaped, 1/2" x 1/2" which appears to be the same shape as the part that is split. I'm thinking that the damaged area can be cut out and replaced with this. We have one forum member who is really knowledgable about plastics (can't remember who, but hopefully he will read this) who can tell us what sort of adhesives to use on EDPM rubber.

google TRIM LOK INC. or ZORO.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I have been on the search for a weatherstrip for my front windshield for the coupe part number 25820936 for a few years & only came up with one place through a dealership & the price was crazy. I also did try what Rob suggested Crate Engine & had no luck. In the last 2 years i have been purchasing seals & weatherstrips for the doors along with a hood insulator & a set of headlamps & tail lights.Now have up to $2000 in parts put away in rubbermaid's.

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts

How much of the seal is damaged? They can be patched if the damage is relatively small.

·
Super Moderator
16,146 Posts
John,
How do you repair them?

One of our club members is a supplier of rubber products for Boeing among others. He looked at the seal and said its made of three different sections that are joined where the vertical pieces meet the horizontal piece. I know nothing but was surprised that it was an assembled part. He said he thinks its made up of different materials and only looks like rubber.

I am interested in your thoughts. I have a small tear near where the pin fits into the windshield surround. It is perfectly functional but there is a hole there. How might I repair it?

I see damaged seals at garage day and it would be great if we had a way to repair them.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
Rob,

My damage is in the same place. I hope that I have found the problem to be a rough area on the front of the top frame. The repairs I have made aren't permanent, and have lasted a year or two at a time. I don't know if that is the nature of the repair or if the rough spot was just re-damaging it. Now that I have smoothed it I am hoping for better results.

The material I have used is a liquid rubber that came from one of our Japanese plants, and wasn't really identified very well. I ended up with it because no one had an MSDS for it and it had to be disposed of. This spring I am going to try some Flex Seal (the stuff that's on television) to see how it does.

I am staying away from anything with silicone, because sometimes after you use that nothing else wants to stick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
John,
How do you repair them?

One of our club members is a supplier of rubber products for Boeing among others. He looked at the seal and said its made of three different sections that are joined where the vertical pieces meet the horizontal piece. I know nothing but was surprised that it was an assembled part. He said he thinks its made up of different materials and only looks like rubber.

I am interested in your thoughts. I have a small tear near where the pin fits into the windshield surround. It is perfectly functional but there is a hole there. How might I repair it?

I see damaged seals at garage day and it would be great if we had a way to repair them.

Thanks
Go to auto paint supply ,by 3m super weatherstrip aheasive black apply bouth edges let tackup press together ,dab spillout with masking tape sticky side

·
Registered
1 Posts
[Hi i just brought the part number 25820936 on a website for 100. I am looking for part number 20818154? If you have one i will buy one or know anywhere I can buy them part number I’m looking for is 20818154. Can text me 4847642089. Thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts