Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-04-2005

Anybody else having trouble with their cookies on this forum. This last week, threads I've read keep re-highlighting as if a new posts have been added. I haven't looked into it too deep, but thought maybe someone else has the same problem, or suggestions?

thx
RODEO

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The problem I'm having is I come back to the site after closing all my browsers, and sometimes the forums don't think I'm logged in anymore. This started happening after the forum got upgraded to the latest version.

I get the issue you're having sometimes too.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Try going to quick links, then "mark all forums read" after you've read them. You're prolly maintaining some sort of cache or a cache on a server somewhere.

You might also try control-f5 or shift-f5 (can't remember which).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Forgot - it counts your post as a new post. If you look at a thread, then post, when you look at it again in the sub-forum the thread will not look like it's been read - because you've not opened the thread and read your own post. Could that be part of your issue?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Try going to quick links, then "mark all forums read" after you've read them. You're prolly maintaining some sort of cache or a cache on a server somewhere.

I've been trying this. Doesn't work for me. I have to actually go back into a post again afterwards when I come back to the site later on, even after clearing them out with 'mark all as read.'

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I haven't noticed any problems with highlighted or non highleted threads. I have logged in, and at some point later I go to post and it asks me for my screenname and password again, but that is the only abnormality I have seen. I figured I was probably just getting timed out.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solsticeman said:

I've been using the S-Man recommendation above since this afternoon, seems to have solved my problem, and is easier.

I alo wanted to say, I guessed it was a cookie problem, but had no real idea It could also be the browser. I usually use IE for the forum, no doubt that could be the problem :leaving

RODEO

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'm having problems that when I come back to the site I usually (greater than 50%) have to login in even though I always have the "remember me" box checked.

This started happening around the time of the upgrade as well. I do also notice problems with threads. Just this time I had to log in again since I was here yesterday, then I went to the first forum and read threads. I went back to the main "Pontiac solstice Forum" link on the upper left, and all the other sections were cleared out and now suddenly showed no new threads. I went into the Tech. Discusions and noticed four or five threads which had new posts since I logged on yesterday.

Something is going on with cookies. I'm using Netscape 7.2, don't use IE at all.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
rlhammon said:
I'm having problems that when I come back to the site I usually (greater than 50%) have to login in even though I always have the "remember me" box checked.

This started happening around the time of the upgrade as well. I do also notice problems with threads. Just this time I had to log in again since I was here yesterday, then I went to the first forum and read threads. I went back to the main "Pontiac solstice Forum" link on the upper left, and all the other sections were cleared out and now suddenly showed no new threads. I went into the Tech. Discusions and noticed four or five threads which had new posts since I logged on yesterday.

Something is going on with cookies. I'm using Netscape 7.2, don't use IE at all.
Yeah, that's my problem too. Should have mentioned above I'm using FIrefox 1.0 on one machine and the lates Firefox nightly builds on another. I'm betting this is some issue with the cookies and mozilla based web browsers since Netscape and Firefox are both mozila based.

·
5,600 Posts
RODEO said:
I've been using the S-Man recommendation above since this afternoon, seems to have solved my problem, and is easier.

I alo wanted to say, I guessed it was a cookie problem, but had no real idea It could also be the browser. I usually use IE for the forum, no doubt that could be the problem :leaving

RODEO
I detest Internet Explorer. A lot of my problems went away when I downloaded the "Mozilla Firefox" browser for free. Much better. And much less :spam

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
jimbo said:
I detest Internet Explorer. A lot of my problems went away when I downloaded the "Mozilla Firefox" browser for free. Much better. And much less :spam
I agree, it helps protect against malicious malware and spyware much better then even IE6 SP2. However I run into issues like this far more with mozilla based browsers since most software companies don't test against them as much as IE. Seeing as how IE still has like 90% dominance in the browser area.

Nice new avatar by the way RODEO. :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yea Firefox is a lifesaver, haven't seen a popup since I downloaded it. On Spyware the new Microsoft Spyware product (free in beta) is great, finds way more stuff than other spy detectors. I guess they know all the rocks to look under :jester

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brentil said:
that's an inside joke to S-Man, see his post on the "tough moderator thread :D

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jimbo said:
I spoke to my father today who was complaining about all the :spam and spyware he was getting on his work computer with IE. I recommended to him that he download Firefox, which he did today. In the couple of hours he used it, he wasn't bothered with any popups or changes to his homepage! :cheers

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
brentil said:
I agree, it helps protect against malicious malware and spyware much better then even IE6 SP2. However I run into issues like this far more with mozilla based browsers since most software companies don't test against them as much as IE. Seeing as how IE still has like 90% dominance in the browser area.

It sucks that Microsoft got market dominance and doesn't adhere to the publish standards. Since they control so much of the market, so many sites and programs are set to use the "non-standard" tags that IE uses, and thus when a Mozilla based program tries to work with the "non-standard" information it screws it up (compared to IE).

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I spoke to my father today who was complaining about all the :spam and spyware he was getting on his work computer with IE. ...
I dunno... it's kinda comforting that so many folks seem to be so concerned with the size of my genitals and whether I have reasonably-priced ink cartridges, and access to online pharmacies where I can get unlimited [email protected]@ and "soft tab" [email protected]@S...

Imagine if all of that stuff were true...

What if all spam were true?

...And if all those guys who are offering spam-based PhD's and Masters degrees are legit, why don't THEY just go get a real job with THEIR PhD instead of spamming the heck out of everyone? :lol

Guess it doesn't work? I remember at the beginning of Desert Storm, I got spam for those "Iraqi Playing Cards", and actually for "Shoulder-fired Grenade Launchers - Not a Joke!!!" :glol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
I dunno... it's kinda comforting that so many folks seem to be so concerned with the size of my genitals and whether I have reasonably-priced ink cartridges, and access to online pharmacies where I can get unlimited [email protected]@ and "soft tab" [email protected]@S...

Imagine if all of that stuff were true...

What if all spam were true?

...And if all those guys who are offering spam-based PhD's and Masters degrees are legit, why don't THEY just go get a real job with THEIR PhD instead of spamming the heck out of everyone? :lol

Guess it doesn't work? I remember at the beginning of Desert Storm, I got spam for those "Iraqi Playing Cards", and actually for "Shoulder-fired Grenade Launchers - Not a Joke!!!" :glol
Your spending way too much time reading your spam mail! :glol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts