Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since most of us will be getting our cars in the fall, any experienced 'vert owners have tips for cool weather top down use? I'm not talking about the frozen Mustang guy commerical driving in ice but maybe 50 degree driving.

Run the heat to keep your feet nice and toasty?

Keep a jacket in trunk for those cool mornings

Stuff like that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
mceb said:
Since most of us will be getting our cars in the fall, any experienced 'vert owners have tips for cool weather top down use? I'm not talking about the frozen Mustang guy commerical driving in ice but maybe 50 degree driving.

Run the heat to keep your feet nice and toasty?

Keep a jacket in trunk for those cool mornings

Stuff like that.
Had a convertible Vette and found that the windows up and heater on full worked wonders. Keep your feet warm and the rest of you can stand the cold much better. Put the heater on Bi-Level which allows you to direct heat to the floor as well as on your face.

The fall is the BEST time of the year to drive topless!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would think that from the reviews in the mags stating that wind buffeting is minimal along with the somewhat enclosed cockpit, the ride will be comfy in 50 degree temps. Blast the heat, maybe attach one of those ugly windscreens and you'll be fine.

You are much more exposed to the elements in a Miata. And you will freeze your butt off in a Wrangler. (My current vehicles)

I think the Solstice will be nice in cold weather and hot too with the AC on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As The Mayor said earlier '...windows up and heater on full worked wonders.' If you're one to get chilled easily you might want for a little heavier coat but typically for me I was never uncomfortable. I always liked that brisk air buffeting around me in the winter.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Simple ragtop rules:

Hot weather: Top down, A/C on full blast.
Cold weather: Top down, windows up, long underware on, heat on full blast.
Wet weather: Top up.
Icy weather: Top up or down...but car is in the garage.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Singin' in the rain

LBJay said:
Naaa, top down, windows up...drive faster. ;)
Sure. This car handles well. Just drive between the drops! :lol: :glol:

--Chemist

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Chemist said:
Sure. This car handles well. Just drive between the drops! :lol: :glol:

--Chemist
Reminds me of the old Physics question. "It's raining heavily out and you have to go 200 yards between buildings. Will you get wetter walking 4 mph or running 12 mph."

Can't remember the answer.

On the top down. If you have a tonneau cover with the driver side open only, even a British car heater will keep you warm down to freezing. And in the garage at or below freezing is a good idea. 50/50 weight distribution means you slide sideways on ice with not preferential treatment. I got to practice my skid recovery technique on black ice in my MG. Turn in the direction of the skid, it worked.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I drive my vette till november top down and just one addittion crack the window(s) about 1" this willl let warm air flow thru car and stop cold from coming in behind. You may have to play with window a little to get exact warming sensation. I can confortably drive roof down in 4 degree C weather

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I drove my Solstice late last night. As the air cooled off the car was comfortable with the heater dropping heat at my feet and from the dash. My tip would be either to have a long sleeve shirt or a light jacket with you. My 1K hat from GM was all I needed to keep my head warm. Not much wind buffeting as compared to my "traded-in Miata". :lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've had converts before, if it was cold enough to have the heater on I had the top up. Always thought it was odd that I'd be in my sedan with the heat on and windows up to take out the chill and some guy would go by in a ragtop, top down, windows up, hat and gloves. Always thought he was either making a 'look at me' statement or he was going to his dealer to have the top mechanism fixed!

Do as you please but if I need the heater on to be comfortable I'll put the top up, that's why it's there. Opposite can be true too, times with my old Fiat I prayed for AC!

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have had a MGB for the last 15 years and have drove it with the top down thru the frist week in October, put a hodded jacket on and blanket over our legs and maybe gloves and worked good. Looking forward to the Solstice and a heater, if we ever get it Vin#16 I though sweet 16 but still no car starting to wonder. Was planing a 35 wedding anversery trip this coming week, but does not look good :willy: :willy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts